Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Create your own "tool box" for soothing anxiety and panic

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared
    What I also found useful was to give that fear a physical form. Children have been asked to describe fear and they describe it as a monster and that is how they draw it. For me that fearful voice is myself as a small child but with a bird's beak. And when she's afraid she squawks. I acknowledge that she's there and tell her this is not the time to deal with the fact that you are upset. I know you are upset but we will deal with this later. You are perfectly fine no one will hurt you.

It is important to acknowledge the fact that you are fearful but not give a control over you.

Love this thread, Vic!

I don't suffer from panic attacks, but I do get mild anxiety, and many of the items in your toolbox resonated with me. My tools are not so much ones for using when in distress (for want of a better word) but more for general "upkeep" to keep myself in balance - for anxiety and/or depression.

1) Also exercise. Walking. Running.
    2) Meditation
    3) Singing (I sing with a choir)
    4) Yoga

I love the one about grabbing a cat, browneyedgirl! I do this too.

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared
    Originally Posted by Grace696
    Love this thread, Vic!

I don't suffer from panic attacks, but I do get mild anxiety, and many of the items in your toolbox resonated with me. My tools are not so much ones for using when in distress (for want of a better word) but more for general "upkeep" to keep myself in balance - for anxiety and/or depression.

1) Also exercise. Walking. Running.
    2) Meditation
    3) Singing (I sing with a choir)
    4) Yoga

I love the one about grabbing a cat, browneyedgirl! I do this too.
    Thank you! I walk and meditate as well. I also sing in a choir.

[QUOTE=Victoria66;5879964]Thank you! I walk and meditate as well. I also sing in a choir.

Yay! Singing - especially singing in harmony - is just plain good for the soul.

I thought it would revive this thread with something else that helps me too. Often if you can sneak even a half hour nap in there ,a little sleep does a lot to restore balance. Remember you have to eat well, be well hydrated and sleep properly this helps a lot.

There are two other things that I do as well. 1.When it safe to do so i.e. not ice covered, I will go run around my house about 10 times when I'm feeling anxious. 2. Another thing that I do as I get in my car turn out up my music super loud and start screaming to the music.

The aim of the game is that you are trying to bring yourself into the present moment. Panic occurs and anxiety occurs when you are either in the future or in the past and not in the present one minute you're living in.

This is lovely and very helpful

Originally Posted by clueless11
    This is lovely and very helpful
    You are welcome !

Originally Posted by Victoria66
    The only moment I can control is the present moment.
    I needed to hear this exact quote. I'm always stressing and worrying about the future, making sure all my plans follow through and I don't get backtracked or anything. I have a weird fixation with wanting to be in control of everything (a reason why I hate flying, or even being a passenger in a car. I'd much prefer to drive myself) and I thank you so much for this post.

[QUOTE=tawnybby;6094888]I needed to hear this exact quote. I'm always stressing and worrying about the future, making sure all my plans follow through and I don't get backtracked or anything. I have a weird fixation with wanting to be in control of everything (a reason why I hate flying, or even being a passenger in a car. I'd much prefer to drive myself) and I thank you so much for this post.

You are welcome. Just to remember to take everything day by day small goals become big ones.

Wow ,I have not updated since January. I am doing really really well. I haven't had an episode of panic or anxiety in probably almost 2 months. I can now have my life as busy and full as I want it. I feel complete and vibrant in spirit. It has taken almost 2 1/2 years to get here but I think I'm finally better.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice