Open Club  ·  96 members  ·  Free

Journals

My Life- Thoughts and Happenings

I doubt you had Covid, regular flus are rising early because we have all weakened our immune system.

Being immune deficient doesn't really have much to do with it either. We were told lots of things early on that turned out to be completely false. You shouldn't have stayed home because you felt more at risk, this was something we were all urged to do for just a little while. A month. Imagine how much better the state of things would be if everyone abided. We honestly could've all taken a one month sacrifice (and i fully acknowledge that month would've been far harder for some than others). But if we'd all just did what's best, Covid wouldn't be infecting or killing anywhere near the numbers it still is.

Blame young, dumb, selfish prople who think, "well what's the harm that can come from this one get-together?"

It's evident now that one house party, one wedding, can set us back lightyears.

I doubt you had Covid, regular flus are rising early because we have all weakened our immune system.

Being immune deficient doesn't really have much to do with it either. We were told lots of things early on that turned out to be completely false. You shouldn't have stayed home because you felt more at risk, this was something we were all urged to do for just a little while. A month. Imagine how much better the state of things would be if everyone abided. We honestly could've all taken a one month sacrifice (and i fully acknowledge that month would've been far harder for some than others). But if we'd all just did what's best, Covid wouldn't be infecting or killing anywhere near the numbers it still is.

Blame young, dumb, selfish prople who think, "well what's the harm that can come from this one get-together?"

It's evident now that one house party, one wedding, can set us back lightyears.

Thank you for your thoughts, LikeWater.

I actually DO have to stay home, because I am on chemo. So I am severely immunicompromised and it does have a lot to do with it. Because my body is working hard against the cancer (and that part is going well)., it is less able to handle other insults that come my way. I come from hearty stock (5 siblings) so I have always been able to fight off various viruses that have debilitated others around me. For now, those days are over - until I am able to dose down my meds.

And yes, it could have been a “flu”. It also could have been an infection or something to do with my white blood cells. But first they have to rule out COVID so I can go in for my blood tests. And get my flu shot!

And I have stayed home since mid February! I do have to go to the doctor bimonthly, but it is usually at a cancer center that instituted screening measures early on. All of the patients comply because we are all in the same boat.

Unfortunately I had to go to the hospital to get a lengthy X-ray. My doc probably would have ordered things like that months ago but he was trying to shield me from COVID. But he needed the data, so I went. Which involves going in for a contrast shot, and back again for the X-ray 3 hours later.

But I realize now that - for the first time since early February- I did also briefly go to Trader Joe’s. And it felt so good! I was only there for ten minutes. Everyone had masks and it was first thing in the morning.

Both trips would be highly unlikely to result in COVID. For most people. I’m not worried what I had at this point, I’m mostly over it. I just want to get my treatment at the doctors, but cannot go in until I get the all clear.

Yes, young people are often the culprits. I have one in that category (20). Since he has a mom with cancer and lives next door to his grandparents, he has been more cautious than most kids that age. Sweet boy. But - he almost went and moved in to his fraternity! He cancelled last minute!

The frontal lobe is not fully formed until late 20s. Reasoning is not fully there...

And then there are the adults, who apparently never fully developed their brains... That conversation could go on for pages.

Anyhow, I’ll keep you posted on my results.

Fevers are the worst. On top of making us physically miserable, they make us semi-crazy! Hope you feel better soon!!

Fever is mostly down now- just at 99.3, which I have had since I had the first weird virus in January, and continued since the other weird virus in February. So back to “normal “ on that.

I'm glad to hear that your fight with cancer is going well! My nephew had a genetic form of Leukemia, 4 years old when it suddenly attacked him. I've seen first hand how devasting the treatment can be. I hope you're handling the chemo well. That being the best we have to treat cancer is a tragedy.

Don't stop fighting no matter what.

I'm glad to hear that your fight with cancer is going well! My nephew had a genetic form of Leukemia, 4 years old when it suddenly attacked him. I've seen first hand how devasting the treatment can be. I hope you're handling the chemo well. That being the best we have to treat cancer is a tragedy.

Don't stop fighting no matter what.

OMG, bless that little boy and his family. I cannot imagine going through that as a parent?

So, fever was mostly down for 5 days (mid 99s).

Called yesterday morning to find that my COVID test was negative. I had some appointments lined up for today so I knew I could come.

And then - the fever came back with a vengeance last night. I almost passed out!

Called the nurse first thing this morning and then the doc called. Obviously I couldn’t go in for bloodwork to help them figure out what is wrong. And appointments were cancelled.

He told me to stop the chemo and he ordered a really strong antibiotic that I’m not thrilled to take but hopefully it will help.

I was so emotional this morning, just frustrated with my body and not knowing the cause of the fever. So I’ll try this and hope and pray I don’t get the serious side effects listed.

Anyhow, even stopping the chemo seems to have helped. Fever was not as high (before I started the antibiotics). Wish me luck!

These antibiotics are brutal!

He had me stop the chemo, so I have a reprieve from that set of side effects.

But now I have new ones with the antibiotics!

I’m not allowed dairy, yogurt, lactobacillus, green leafy vegetables, no vitamin supplements...

And it is harsh on my stomach, as expected.

Can cause sleep disturbances, abnormal heart rhythms, and torn tendons. Pharmacist said I’m not allowed to exercise for three weeks - even though it is only one week of pills.

And the list is longer.

Anyhow, I’m inching my way to feeling better. Not sure if it is just from stopping the chemo, or if it is from the antibiotics, or if it was a virus that ran it’s course.

I’m rescheduled to see the doc next week.

Other than that my life is quiet. I did work (from home) this week. Although I took a few naps midday because I couldn’t sleep that past 2 nights. Work will never know. And I have worked so many extra hours through the years, so I don’t feel too bad. I won’t be able to do naps soon, as I’ll be scheduled up for daily meetings.

Had an intense morning with lots of questions and needs from coworkers yesterday. Today I tried to follow up on issues and never got any response to my emails to multiple people. Crickets...

But I know my email works because a non-employee that advises us emailed me today. But - come to think of it, he didn’t answer back either!

My coworker, who is also working from home, sent a cute email. Her elderly beloved cat had died last spring. So she and her husband ended up with a pair of lively kittens. She woke up this morning to find grapes on the floor all over her house! She had left them in a bowl on the counter and the kittens had a grand time playing with them all night. Too cute. She’ll probably find grapes for months.

These antibiotics are brutal!
Why do they have to give you such strong antibiotics? Can you not see another doctor, or does everything have to go through the oncologist?

And I have worked so many extra hours through the years, so I don’t feel too bad.
Isn't it funny how you have to stave off guilt for doing something for yourself, even though you consistently go the extra mile for work? I'm the same way.
Why do they have to give you such strong antibiotics? Can you not see another doctor, or does everything have to go through the oncologist?

Isn't it funny how you have to stave off guilt for doing something for yourself, even though you consistently go the extra mile for work? I'm the same way.

Great questions.

The chemo I take has a side effect of increased risk of infections. Big time. Such that they do blood tests every month and monitor, and the minute something is off balance they adjust or pull it back.

I’ve tolerated it pretty well, although they had me on a higher dose in March and they noticed my bloodwork was off. So he lowered my dose and that seemed to work until now.

Also, I’ve had a low grade fever since January after the first virus I had. They did what tests they could (internist and oncologist) but it was just as COVID was coming on so they’ve been cautious about where and when they send me for tests.

Anyhow, I could not go into any facility at all, due to my fever. So he had to just take a stab. The pharmacist and I spoke about it and he felt it was appropriate.

In normal times they might have done differently but these are not normal. I don’t think it will hurt me to go through a round, although I am uncomfortable!

Whether it was an infection or a virus, I seem to be getting better on the fever front so I truly hope I can go in for my appointments next week. I’m curious if it will go down below 99.3, which is where my temp has been parked all these months. We will see.

As far as work guilt, my boss has been very cranky and weird about hours and money this year. I think she is juggling large budget cuts. She has been passing that stress down to us, which she doesn’t normally do. A couple of our staff members (one, a guy) teared up at one staff meeting because of it. She has never been that way before, so the strain has gotten to her. She is trying to be supportive of me, and she is, most of the time.

Next week I will dutifully fill out sick leave for my doctor appointments.

OMG, bless that little boy and his family. I cannot imagine going through that as a parent?

Well, to no one's surprise they didn't handle it well. My brother's wife basically turned against him through it and they eventually divorced. My brother lives far from them now, new wife and more kids. I don't talk to him anymore. Kids have always been his downfall but he can't seem to stop.

• 2 weeks later...

My youngest sister called me yesterday. She had a breast biopsy yesterday and an MRI today. Results aren’t in yet but looks like she may have breast cancer too.

I live on the west coast, she is on the east coast. It all sucks. I can’t go help her because I’m sick too.

She has a business that she started 3 years ago- hopefully her business partner can hold down the fort while my sister figures things out.

I had done the genetic testing and was negative for BRCA 1 and 2. So this is mystifying. Especially because our dad lived to be 101, and our mom is 99 1/2. Neither ever had cancer, except some sun damage from summers in the sun. Crazy.

I’m so sad she is going through this alone - she is single. But she is strong!

My brother is a 10 hour drive away if needed, so there is that.

She has not yet told my siblings - she is waiting for the reports and a plan.

Work was going well for me last week, although I was exhausted by the end of the week. I’m resting today.

While I am working off-site (with support from admin) some of my coworkers are working in the building with masks, alone in their rooms, doing videoed lessons. One of my coworkers got really sick from the smoke from the wildfires.

Eventually she flew to the east coast to get away from the smoke and is teaching from there in our time zone. I guess she got in trouble for that from work, but honestly if she is doing her job then they shouldn’t complain. She is over 65 years old anyhow, so I’m surprised they supposedly ordered her back to our building. She has doctor orders too.

I’m sure there is way more to the story that I don’t know, but I guess by working from home I am missing the drama, which is better for me anyhow...

Anyhow, she has now decided to retire at the end of the year... Which she could have done a few years ago...

My admin is really really stressed this year and is not handling things well. Normally she does. So glad I didn’t get flack for working from home! Sheesh!

In the meantime, we are trying to do the beginning of year assessments with the students- remotely. Some parents were trying to “help” their kids with the assessments, which really messed them up, haha! Silly parents... Now we will have to redo it.

My students, whom I’ve not seen since the end of February, have grown so much!! And most of them somehow continued to learn, despite COVID. So things are way better than I had predicted. Thank goodness!!!

Not much else to report. My cat loves having me at home at his beck and call.

I'm sorry to hear about your sister :(

My cat loves having me at home at his beck and call.

Ha!

My students, whom I’ve not seen since the end of February, have grown so much!! And most of them somehow continued to learn, despite COVID. So things are way better than I had predicted. Thank goodness!!!

That's good. What grade do you teach?

• 1 month later...

I didn’t realize how long it has been since I updated here.

I’m doing okay - just had a stretch of illness for a few weeks. It almost felt viral, but the only place I have gone in the past month was to hike through a park a few times. Outside.

Yes, there were runners going by, and a few did not have masks on. Some stuck the face in their shirts as they ran by. Anyhow, I got sick somehow - runny nose, sneezing, fatigue, extreme indigestion, and then a few days later other abdominal symptoms hit. Temp got up to neatly 100, but not quite.

I was so grateful when the holiday hit, because I was exhausted trying to work through it all.

My younger son wanted to spend Thanksgiving with me but I know he goes to a gym. So I told him he would have to quarantine for 2 weeks first, and in the end, after we both thought about it - we decided that quarantine was really not possible for him, since he lives with his dad and gf. And they have farm workers come to the property to help, including my former sister in law who is there every day to help out with her elderly parents on the property too. So we decided not to have him come over.

Well, in the end I was sick, and unable to eat. So it all worked out in the end. At least for him, haha! I didn’t cook anything and barely ate. I did have a lovely green salad with dried cranberries. And some sparkling cider.

I did have a fun Zoom with a friend while we ate. That was nice.

Anyhow, feeling a bit better now. I slept so much this weekend. Back to work today.

Had some rice with butternut squash soup for dinner last night, and that seemed okay. Was able to eat a bit more today too. And temp seems normal today.

Update on my sister. She had her mastectomy and is recovering well. Her cancer seems to be pretty advanced, so they will be treating it aggressively. She starts chemo in a few weeks.

While I’m on chemo pills, and I do have my share of side effects, I suspect hers will be more intense, because she will have the chemo infusions.

She texted me a cheery text that they only found cancer in 7 out of 13 lymph nodes. Maybe she is trying to be upbeat. Or maybe she thinks that is a good thing. I’m not going to burst her bubble though. Hopefully the treatment works well.

So, on the work front. I was popping in to a Zoom math class for our older students and the teacher was showing calculations on a whiteboard under her document camera. And her cat decided it was time to jump up there and nap on top of the calculations. It was funny, and broke the ice for those middle school students. Haha! Glad I got to see that fun.

A few weeks ago I was in a meeting and had to pause for a bit, because my cat brought me a dead mouse in the middle of it! My exclamation— “Oh no!! Dead thing!! He brought me a dead thing! I’ll be right back!”

Our Kindergarten teacher was doing a Zoom lesson on how to lace on a project, and her cat thought that was great fun!

A little levity, brought to us from our beloved furry family members.