Open Club  ·  96 members  ·  Free

Journals

My Life- Thoughts and Happenings

Results from the CT were good - no new growth! Blood test results also showing decreased cancer markers. Next up - full body bone scan in a few days.

It will still be a long haul, but this is encouraging.

My oncologist slipped up and referred to my January virus experience as COVID. When I asked him to clarify, he backtracked (because at the time I did not qualify for testing). Both of us agreed that even if it was not COVID, it was equally as profound.

A very strange start to the day with training scheduled for me - but there were different training opportunities all at the same time.

Then there was an emergency staff meeting that was scheduled for 9, then 1, then 10:30 am. They were trying to fit it in around all of the training times. I knew I would have to leave by 10:45 but at least I got the gist of it.

Our administrator had sent out an email about work hours and informing the office and admin when we are unavailable or gone. I have a feeling it has to do with me and my appointments but I had already discussed it with my principal letting her know that I am very conscientious about making sure I get my hours in.

Anyhow, other staff took it very personally as if it was aimed at them and the admin apologized. It was an emotional meeting. I was feeling some of the same frustration about not being trusted but I had let it go, after having explained myself to the other boss.

Well, life is stressful for all of us in this time. The admin needs to let go of her fears and trust that we are professionals that will get the job done. I am glad my coworker brought it up - I had only dealt with it peripherally. He met it head on.

Hopefully it was resolved. I had to leave in the middle.

But I dutifully emailed them once I got back, to let them know I was back on the job. Sent the email, and poof! My internet went down. So I couldn’t work the rest of the afternoon until it came back up. Which it did. Oh well...

Crazy day.

Tomorrow will be better.

Oh, and the training I chose was something different from what they told me. The one I wanted to do ended up being during my doctor appointment. I should have chosen the other one, because I needed that one too. So basically I missed all of the necessary training. Sheesh! But I am resourceful. I’ll find some training modules to do on my own... if my internet behaves itself.

A little tired today but I did tape 8 lessons. I should probably do the training modules but I didn’t get enough sleep last night and don’t have it in me today...

Had a nice talk with my younger son. It was good to catch up with what he is up to.

Older son is working remotely and he said he has been playing a lot of video games. He has sometimes struggled with boundaries and limits, and has described himself as addicted.

I worry about him, because of course his work is online. So video games may blur into work time. I truly hope he is able to keep his job. His boss seemed okay with his recent performance during the yearly review, so I guess so far so good.

So it was hot here today - although it stayed cool in the house, so I had wool socks and a sweatshirt on, lol.

When I went to take out the garbage it was pretty warm at the end of the afternoon. And the air was clear.

A friend texted me and said it is really smoky and windy in Portland and I empathized. And then I realized it was really really smoky here - just in the space of an hour! It is so thick that I could not see the sun set. The smoke hurts my eyes and my throat. And now the wind (a hit wind) is crazy.

I dug out my air filter fan - good thing I brought that home from work.

I am not sure where the wild fires are, but heaven help the firefighters out there with all of this wind!

Tough day today for many across the state. Last night it was a bit smoky from wildfires across the state. And then we had this crazy windstorm (hot air) that knocked down some trees and made a mess of things. When I woke up this morning I noticed it was really smoky outside! At 7:30 the sun was orange and obscured in the sky from the smoke. Apparently the wind had blown in smoke and ash from wildfires far away.

And then reports started coming in. Fires up and down a few corridors up and down, so wildfires throughout the state. And then the wind spread the fires more.

I had turned off the loud emergency notifications some time ago. Apparently they were going off all night last night, as different areas were told to evacuate.

The fires are not close to where I live, but it has started to affect where family and friends live. Some have had to evacuate. I hope their homes survive.

The air quality is crazy bad. It is so strange to have choking smoke from fires 60 miles away. Fortunately I have a fan with an air filter.

I tried to work today but I was too distracted. I got a little done but my heart was not in it. Tomorrow I have training all day so that will distract me.

I hope and pray the firefighters are able to contain the fires. And that they stay safe.

Tomorrow is supposed to be another hot day. We need rain.

My neighbor with dementia keeps knocking on my door. She is scared. I have reassured her that it is not close, and that I would get her if we needed to go. Fortunately she goes to bed early, so I hopefully have a retrieve until tomorrow. And another reprieve when her caregiver shows up. Poor thing.

I don’t watch tv, but I did turn it on to see the local news tonight. And the emergency notification system kept going off every few minutes. I know she likes to watch tv, so that is probably what scared her. And of course she can’t read anymore so no wonder she kept checking in with me.

I hope and pray the firefighters are able to contain the fires. And that they stay safe.

Yikes! So scary. Stay safe. I hope your family and friends stay safe, as well.

My neighbor with dementia keeps knocking on my door. She is scared.

Poor lady. Must be exhausting for you, though.

Update on fires.

We have wildfires all across the state. People in residential areas are being evacuated because the wildfires have spilled into residential areas.

I won’t likely be evacuated but people that live 10-15 miles away from me are. Yesterday my boss moved her household. Her house is in the yellow Be Ready to Go zone, so I think she decided to leave instead of waiting.

Church member friends have done the same.

Anyhow, the wind direction has changed. Which is good news for me but bad news for the people in its new path of destruction.

Sunlight is a very eeerie pink orange color from the smoke. This morning I did not even see the sun because there was fog mixed with the smoke.

School was supposed to start next week but has been postponed.

Hoping for rain very soon.

Yikes! Doing a rain dance for you....

My friend showed us a picture of the San Francisco sky yesterday, during a Zoom get-together. definitely eerie. Stay safe!

Oh gosh, I saw pictures on the news! A few days ago it was exactly like that here. The particulate in the air is really very hazardous.

My son lives in the Bay Area. I need to call him and see how he is doing.

It was foggy and cooler here today and the wind has died down. So that helped things on this end, at least for today.

So many people have had to evacuate in our state!

School is now pushed out another week.

But the good news - got the rest of my blood test results and they are showing strong progress.

My son had just called to catch up, and I heard a muffled meow. My cat walked in with a rat in his mouth! I hastily hung up and I successfully shoved the cat out the door. Fortunately the rat was already dead so I gave it a proper burial into the garbage can. Sheesh!

And then I called my son back and we had a nice talk. I told him all about the crazy week we had with the wildfires and emergency evacuation orders beeping loudly in my phone every hour. (I finally turned it off, but kept close watch. I would turn it back on if it was closer to me but it is not.)

Work is keeping me busy. Meetings and training tomorrow. Then I have to figure out Google Classroom because some of my students’ classes are using that. Crash course for me! Ugh.

• 2 weeks later...

Last week I came down with an unexpected fever on the night of the 14th. I felt great all day, went to bed, started shivering like crazy- and then the fever came on! It was over 102 for a few days and I was just toughing it out. I knew I should call the doctor but when you are that sick you aren’t rational. Plus I was trying to work on a time sensitive project.

Partway through, my oncology pharmacist called me to check in. She insisted o call my doctor. I didn’t think it was COVID because I hadn’t been anywhere! My pharmacist was concerned about infection. So I called. My doctor wasn’t there that day (was on hospital rounds) so a general nurse spoke with me and decided I needed a COVID test.

I was annoyed but in the end I realized that if I wanted to enter the building for bloodwork, they need to rule it out.

I drove over to get the (outdoor) test, waited 1 1/2 hours until my turn, only to find that the orders hadn’t come through. So I had to do the same line the next day. Had the test. No results yet. But my fever is down (mostly) now.

And then I went on to pay bills yesterday and I realized I HAD been a few places. And my chemo makes me susceptible. On the 4th I went for a 30 minute X-ray st the hospital. And on the 7th I couldn’t stand it so I went to Trader Joe’s for a ten minute (first thing in the morning) shopping trip! I came down with the fever on the 14th.

So... who knows. But I seem to be recovering, albeit slowly. I’ve been very stiff and very fatigued.

Sheesh. I guess I’ve learned my lesson. Since I’m immunocompromised, I cannot go anywhere! Ugh!