Open Club  ·  99 members  ·  Free

Journals

My Life- Thoughts and Happenings

Both of my sons and I went to the funeral today. It was a really nice service- clearly the pastor knew him very well, and he said such nice things about my son's friend. But he didn't avoid the fact that he committed suicide. The pastor talked about the mystery of deep despair that can drive someone to suicide.

It was a healing service, and the pastor dealt with it so well.

This boy was troubled. He did some really wild things. But he was also extremely bright, and graduated from high school at age 16. He bought his first house at 18, and some great property in the country a few years later. He was a firefighter and also worked as a mechanic for another company. And he helped fix things for his elderly neighbor. Everyone said he was a tinkerer and could fix anything.

My son and he were trying to build a Tesla coil in his garage when they were 13.

Such a life cut short.

So - this was a true funeral. They had the body there. He looked very normal for having shot himself.

Unfortunately they had the family up by the body, so when I went up there to pay my condolences with the family, we were all standing right by the body. Before long, I just couldn't stand the odor. Ugh. And all the way home in the car I kept smelling that odor, like it permeated my nose. Ick.

Tomorrow my older son moves out from his apartment. He wants to go live with his dad for a bit, so we will move him in there with some of his things. The rest will go to my place into the shed or my guest room. Hopefully he will find a job soon.

One place said that they want to finish their interviews before making their decision, but they are hiring 20 new employees. So I think he has a good chance. And it is a company that has patents in scientific research, so I think it would be a great fit for my son.

I went in to work last week for a little bitty bit. Got sucked into some computer stuff, but it was fun to see some of my coworkers. I told my boss all of what I am learning in my classes this summer, and she was really excited.

I am going to try to enjoy last few weeks of summer. And get my house clean and organized for the year.

Oregon seems to have a lot of people visiting to see the eclipse. There have been many cars on the road, and even long lines at the gas stations. I saw a news report about traffic jams in eastern Oregon, which is crazy.

It just seems like so much hype- and commercialized, at that!

I don't want to be stuck in traffic jams, so I am staying home and I'll watch the eclipse from my back yard- whatever I can see...

Had a great trip to the beach with a friend. I took a few days "vacation" before I went back to work. It was quite beautiful there, and so peaceful, and I even got to see some whales frolicking about!

When I got back, I learned that the wind was blowing all of the smoke from wildfires into the valley. Everyone Was suffering. I chose a great few days to be gone. Although it has subsided mostly, my eyes have been itching and my throat burning from the remaining smoke.

Yesterday was my first day back to work. It was fun to see everyone and catch up. We had staff meeting all morning but it was mostly inspirational stuff, which was great. Then we had a potluck.

Today I have computer training and later I will be clearing out my office of extra stuff and old files.

Yesterday I woke up with my asthma bothering me. Haven't had asthma symptoms for about 8 years. I thought maybe one of my sons was vaping, and asked them, but they both said no. And then I went outside.

The air was full of smoke, from wildfires at the coast. The wind had shifted overnight and brought all of the smoke into the valley. OMG it was so bad.

Later yesterday I saw a Level 1 warning for up the a McKenzie River, where my in laws were staying. It is just a warning- get ready just in case- but the smoke was bad up there too. So they drove to visit friends. I hope their cute little cabin stays safe.

This morning the news says there is a huge fire in the Columbia Gorge. 140 hikers on and around the Pacific Crest trail have been ordered to stay in place overnight, and they will be evacuated this morning.

Wow. Oregon needs rain. We really need rain.

The smoke was crazy bad today. It was like standing in the smoke from a campfire, but all over everywhere. The haze has been around for a few days now. It was worse this morning. Everyone is staying indoors.

My poor son had a migraine on his 22nd birthday, so he has not been able to celebrate. I lent him my air filter fan, which he took over to his dad's where he is staying. He has one too, but a new filter is on order (I threw the old filter out because I didn't want the mold spores from his moldy a parent coming into my home).

Both boys stayed here this weekend, but older son went back to his dad's, hoping the smoke levels are better there.

I am also thinking about the flooding in Pakistan, Nepal, India, Bangladesh, and Texas.

Crazy times in the world.

• 2 weeks later...

Smoke seems to be a theme here these days. It was so bad on Saturday that my friend C suggested we hop in the car and drive to clearer air. There is an air quality map that you can view on your smart phones, so we started out heading for a place that was forecast to be clear

As we approached that city, it was clear that the wind had changed. So we turned and headed toward the coast. We didn't drive all the way to the coast, just enough until we found clearer skies. We found one place that was not too bad, so we went to a park there and got her dog some exercise.

We hiked on a trail along the river. I found some galls that had dropped from the oak trees, and gathered them for our kindergarten teacher, who does a fall lesson on them with her students. Every once in a while, clear blue skies would peek through and my lungs felt so much better!

Hooray, it rained quite a bit all week! So the smoke has mostly cleared from the air. And it is finally cooler!

Work is great. I still love my job!

I've been walking after school with colleagues, just for 3 miles. But- it does go up a long, slight hill!

Went for a walk with C today. We walked by the river and it was so much better than last week - (last week we had to drive to another city to find clear air.)

After the walk I took a "quick" trip to Costco. I never go there on Saturday- it was so crowded! And then I kept on running into people I knew.

I ran into one guy who I THINK used to be interested in me through scouts (both our boys were in scouts) , until he met my ex husband at a family function and I never got that vibe from him again.

I chased him down in the store, and we had such a nice talk. It has been 3 or 4 years- his son is not in scouts anymore. I really felt so comfortable talking with him, just like before. Turns out he is 4 years younger than I, so in a good ahe rage for me.

But I have no idea if he is remarried or if has a girlfriend - he didn't mention one, but still... he likely does.

While I am on that note, a new guy started coming to our church these days. I have started to get to know him, and he is such a kind and caring person. He was touching my arm to apologize for something, so I wondered if there was interest. But- I think he doesn't realize my age, and I am sure he is at least 5 or 10 years younger than I. He has a daughter that is about 7 years old. Honestly, I could theoretically have a grandchild that old. We are just in different stages of life. Still. .. he seems like such a sweet, caring, gentle person...and that appeals to me.

I have not been looking for any relationship since my ex and I separated (a little before my join date). Partly because I was dealing with the divorce, then the cancer, then depression. And really my life is pretty full. But still, it might be wonderful to have companionship.

And- at my age (60) I am even thinking of going back to school next year in the evenings to get a 2nd Masters Degree with teaching certification. I must be crazy. But in my current position, they are only paying me as an instructional assistant. I would like to be paid what I am worth, but need the teaching certification for that. I expect to work until I am 70. Our bookkeeper thinks I should do that too, because she knows my value to where we work.

Such a late bloomer... sigh...

Lol.

I am really not looking! I am taking an online class for a certification - it started last June and will be complete by next June. That, working full time, volunteering at church, helping with the scouts, and being a mom, all leave me little time for looking.

I know. But sounds so sweet. ❤️