Open Club  ·  96 members  ·  Free

Journals

My Life- Thoughts and Happenings

I don't think your neighbor is dangerous at all. He seems a lot more concerned with his own safety than about disturbing anyone else's. It's either he has some mental illness or, to me, he sounds a lot like a meth user. Paranoia out the wazoo but also an insatiable need to work on things until they are "perfect". Could even be a mixture, but just make sure you keep yourself safe, Lumi.

I used to live in a sketchy neighborhood with a lot of methheads and they just don't ever stop working on stuff. I swear one of them washed his car like 3 times a day.

But hey, most people have to pay for yard work. If he's just gonna do it for free, I'd let him lol.

I don't think your neighbor is dangerous at all. He seems a lot more concerned with his own safety than about disturbing anyone else's. It's either he has some mental illness or, to me, he sounds a lot like a meth user. Paranoia out the wazoo but also an insatiable need to work on things until they are "perfect". Could even be a mixture, but just make sure you keep yourself safe, Lumi.

I used to live in a sketchy neighborhood with a lot of methheads and they just don't ever stop working on stuff. I swear one of them washed his car like 3 times a day.

But hey, most people have to pay foIr yard work. If he's just gonna do it for free, I'd let him lol.

I agree that he is not dangerous. I also do not think he is a meth head - I would see the signs of that. He is physically healthy, just mentally off.

I'm still going to mow my lawn, but I know he will likely remow it for the stripes. I think that will make it healthier and keep the dandelions down.

Went for a hike yesterday and the Fall leaves were glorious. It started raining halfway through the hike, but we were in the trees, so most of the rain was blocked by the tree canopies.

Today I was busy with church, then I took my neighbor shopping. When we got back, she said that she couldn't get her voice mail to work. Her doctor's office was upset that they could not leave her a message.

So I Googled it and printed off instructions to take over to her house. She couldn't remember her password, and when I called CenturyLink for her, the phone menu kept redirecting her to their website. Well, my neighbor has no computer or internet. So I lamented that it would be far easier for her to have an old fashioned answering machine.

Turns out she did have one - new in a box. So I set it up for her. She has early dementia, so we will see if she can use it.

I agree that he is not dangerous. I also do not think he is a meth head - I would see the signs of that. He is physically healthy, just mentally off.

I'm still going to mow my lawn, but I know he will likely remow it for the stripes. I think that will make it healthier and keep the dandelions down.

Well, I called him a potential meth user, because not every user is completely strung-out and looks like a zombie. You'd be surprised; there are some very fit, healthy people that enjoy this stuff. It's commonly seen with military men, for example.

It was just a possible theory based on his behavior. He's displaying characteristics that are easily recognizable as effects from amphetamine usage, but can also be explained in a myriad of other ways. Either way, I just wanted to point out that I highly doubt he's a threat to you but of course, keep your eyes open, so to speak.

Well, I called him a potential meth user, because not every user is completely strung-out and looks like a zombie. You'd be surprised; there are some very fit, healthy people that enjoy this stuff. It's commonly seen with military men, for example.

It was just a possible theory based on his behavior. He's displaying characteristics that are easily recognizable as effects from amphetamine usage, but can also be explained in a myriad of other ways. Either way, I just wanted to point out that I highly doubt he's a threat to you but of course, keep your eyes open, so to speak.

Thanks, LW. I will stay aware.

Can't remember if I've written this in here or not.

So my back yard borders 2 different properties. Last summer one neighbor knocked over the fence, so he and his buddy rebuilt that section, and it looks super nice.

So last summer I had workers come over to cut down blackberries that had invaded my entire yard, and they are mostly gone but trying to come back. Once those were cut down, I had to replace the fence across that part of the yard - basically continue it across from where the other section was put in.

Right where the fence is/was, the power lines, phone, and cable wires are all along there and a portion of the property is a utility easement - property that belongs to the utility, but we can use, as long as they have access to the lines.

Anyhow, the fence was historically through the middle of the easement so each person got to use half.

My neighbor's fence was so nice that I asked his fence guy if he would continue the fence across the rest of my yard too. He was hesitant at first because apparently he was doing it as a favor to his buddy - I guess he owns a business, so he was not really a fence guy.

Anyhow, he decided he would do it for me and I have the money set aside for that. So he met me after work and I showed him where I needed the fence. Basically straight across where it used to be.

There was a sapling tree in the way, but he said he would cut it down. A few weeks later, he put in the fence while I was at work, and he left the tree there and built the fence farther into the back neighbor's yard! Technically it was still in the utility easement, but obviously my back neighbors were not happy.

So I told him he had to move the fence. And he was not happy, because he thought he was done. Maybe he misunderstood my directions on where to put the fence (not sure how he could have, since he and I ran the measuring tape across exactly where it would go). I actually think he decided not to deal with the tree and took liberty.

Anyhow, I told my neighbor that my word stands and I would have the fence moved back where it belongs. And then I called a stump grinder guy to drill out the stump, because it was right smack where the fence goes.

Stump was drilled out yesterday and the fence was moved and is now complete. Yay!

But - my take-aways: get it in writing, draw a map or paint out the lines, and hire a professional.

The fence does look super nice though.

On a different note : it got down into the mid 20s F. overnight. Brrrr!

• 3 weeks later...

Not much going on with me. I stayed home sick today with a nasty cold and will likely stay home tomorrow.

My friend J came for a visit and she mocked up a possible plan for my back yard, so that was good. I've had my fill of Latin names for plants though...

Work is way better this year, and it seems like there is a much healthier atmosphere this year. So thankful for that.

Hope to see my boys around Thanksgiving, although they will likely be staying at their dad's, due to schedules.

Sheesh! This virus kicks a punch! I think the fever was almost gone this morning, but I was still achy and stiff.

I pulled myself up and about to take a few bags out to the bottle return center. On the way back, the sun came out and it was nice to be out and about in the sunshine. And I think it was good for me.

When I got back, I realized my clothing was smelling like old beer and kombucha - I must have picked up residue when I leaned over to deposit my bags into the receptacle. Ack!

So off to take another shower and put all new clean clothes on... and I feel ever so much better!

My friend J was going to come to have Thanksgiving with me, but her cousin had a stroke and she is going to spend it with their family instead.

While this year would have been the year my sons would have Thanksgiving with me, my ex let me know that his girlfriend's nice is getting married at Christmas so they won't be in town during that time, so could I please trade holidays.

And he and his gf invited me for Thanksgiving so we could each see our sons. At first I was going to have J over and possibly my neighbor and another friend, but since J won't be here then I would like to hang out with my sons.

Yes, it is awkward at my ex's house. However, my ex's current gf is really nice, and had nothing to do with the breakup of my marriage 10 years ago. I would get to catch up with my inlaws, whom I love and miss.

To put a hitch in things, my older son may not even come up to Oregon for Thanksgiving because he is going to stay with his girlfriend's family instead. So maybe they will fly up for that weekend or not. It is all up in the air.

My sister wanted me to fly out to Michigan for Thanksgiving, because it is the first one for my mom, after my dad passed away last spring. But, I have to work on Wednesday, then back to work on Monday. I just don't see how that would work, flights wise. Plus it would be grueling and I would probably get sick again.

It is all so complicated, so I'm just going to go with the flow.

Lol my life is rather boring.

Except for my strange neighbors.

Still feeling low energy but I went back to work on Monday. I'm glad tomorrow is Friday. On the other hand, I have to prepare a report for staff meeting on a topic I am not totally prepared to speak on. Being out sick will do that.

I ran a good meeting this afternoon, but people scheduled to be there were coming and going (due to legitimate reasons) so that was unusual. And one of our team members is home on leave for medical reasons for a month (back injury). But she was so bored at home that she Skyped in for the meeting. For 3 hours, lol! She is going nuts at home.

I really need to clean my house this weekend for Thanksgiving.

And that is about all the excitement in my life... sigh

Lol, you two!

I have no one to blame except myself here.

10 years ago, when I went through my divorce, I did a big purge.

Granted, he left me a lot of his junky stuff, and there areally still remnants here and there. I have some of my own, too. But really, 10 years later, I have only myself to blame.

Same thing at my house, Jib.

We moved last month to a bigger space. Already I see the creep of his excess stuff. I took out the big guns and sat him down and said " look dude, we had an agreement".

When either one of us " dude " on the other, it means serious business! Lol

A friend of mine just started a year of decluttering. One thing must leave her house permanently each day for a year.

The most excitement I get these days: last night I went to bed at 8:30. I heard a crash out in the kitchen so I yelled at my cat to "get down", figuring he was up to no good.

So instead he brings a live mouse into my bedroom. More yelling from me. I ushered him outside, went to bed, and he brought it in the cat door again. Sheesh! Shoved him outside again.

Oh, and a guy I went to grad school with showed up at my work to do some contract services. Wondering if he is single...

I asked about his wife (she also went to school with me) but he said they are no longer married.

Right when I finished grad school, I had my oldest son. He was born 2 weeks after my last class. So babies, life, and divorces have happened since I last saw him.

• 2 weeks later...

Urgh. Another virus. I have felt it come on since this morning. Sore throat, very tired, back is sore. I left work an hour early, then stopped by Costco for their chicken noodle soup. I have been almost vegetarian these days, but this sounded good to me so I got it. I added some spinach to it, more garlic, and black pepper.

Yesterday I came home from work and the house was dark. I said hi to my cat, thinking he was nearby (he is black, so I wanted to make sure I didn't step on him in the dark ).

He didn't answer me, but I heard a "crunch" sound and boy did I run to turn on the light, because I know that sound means he brought a dead animal in! And he did! Yuck! It was a dead squirrel! So tired of cleaning that rug.

I may buy a Ruggable brand rug, as they are supposedly washable in your washing machine.

Yesterday I ran a meeting all afternoon. A few major people couldn't come, because they were at a conference. No matter, I held it anyway. I have to schedule them months ahead of time, due to people's schedules. And reserving facilities.

Anyhow, there is a new participant in the meeting. She is a replacement for the contract employee we had last year - the one that was so bad and incompetent. The replacement is a professional and while she has some learning to do with regard to our position, she is organized and competent.

I am so happy to have her working with us and so relieved that she knows her stuff (for the most part).

When she first started, she came to me for support and advice, and I was glad to give it to her. I have respect for her training and knowledge, knowing that she will learn what she needs to learn for our unique position.

However, now that she is more comfortable in her position, I have begun to see a catty side to her. My first indication was the day after some scheduled days off for me. My administration scheduled some contract days off while others were scheduled to work. It was during a time that the others might need to consult with me about some data. I emailed everyone ahead of time to let them know I would be gone, and to consult with me ahead of time.

As it turned out, one person had questions about my data while I was gone, so they asked the contract employee to interpret it. I got the sense that it was a session where the contract employee convinced my colleague that I was doing things all wrong, because when I returned, my colleague practically accused me of this with a strong tone.

I explained my approach and urged my colleague not to panic. She was looking at one data point and that was what they were basing their panic on. I showed the trends through time, and reassured my colleague that I was on the right track. And my colleague relaxed and acknowledged that I was correct. She didn't outright say that it was a criticism fest, but the tone and panic tell me it was.

And since that week, the new contract employee has been flippant and almost rude to me. She was at the meeting yesterday and when we were waiting for a participant, she and another employee were making fun of someone that they work with at another building. They were Googling him, and saying how he talks like a robot, and laughing.

So high schoolish and cliquish. Sigh. I really don't need that kind of drama, especially after last year's disasters.

I am trying to be unflappable, and not take it personally. Essentially, when someone is like that, it tells me they are very insecure. I'm not perfect, by any means. But honestly, I prefer someone to come talk with me rather than talk behind my back to stir up things against me.

Given the above, it is still way way better than the incompetence of last year.

Hope it works out in the long run, though.

I just hate "office politics".

I had such a great run until last year - my former boss was great. Until last year.

I used to love getting up and coming to my job - it was so much joy for me.

It is better this year than last. My new boss is figuring out her new position, and I do like her.

She is likely unaware of the cattiness happening.

And since that week, the new contract employee has been flippant and almost rude to me. She was at the meeting yesterday and when we were waiting for a participant, she and another employee were making fun of someone that they work with at another building. They were Googling him, and saying how he talks like a robot, and laughing.

That's the worst, a passive aggressive, immature coworker. I say passive aggressive because she's never going to admit that she is the one with a problem. And with a new boss, I can see how this situation could be extra stressful.