Open Club  ·  96 members  ·  Free

Journals

My Life- Thoughts and Happenings

oh . .I just can't help but think of things to come!

My next door neighbor is a tad bit like that. I water down my patio and she immediately comes out with a hose to make sure none of the leaves are in front of her house. . in the street!

Oh my, I hope there are no more things to come!

Lol on your neighbor - some people are just obsessive.

Sheesh. A stray cat found its way into my cat door. And so I had quite the ruckus in my dining room when he and my cat were having a standoff. Usually when I show up it's enough to scare off other cats, but this one wouldn't budge. I was able to scoop up my cat and put him in the bathroom and shut the door. But the stray would not go any where.

I tried to pick it up but that was a bug mistake (and I have the scratches to prove it). I tried guiding it out with a broom but all he did was attack the broom. So finally I got a brilliant idea and got the vacuum out and started to vacuum. That worked. He ran out.

This was an hour ago. So eventually my cat went outside, only to enter another loud standoff right outside my bedroom window. And neither would back down. Eventually I went out there with a flashlight and a broom, and I was able to convince my cat to back off. Which he has never done before. So I brought him inside with me and gave him treats.

I don't think this is the end of this problem.

Work is so much better this year. I'm still traumatized from last year, but we have different personnel and one is a new supervisor for me. She has been sometimes pushy or dictatorial but I am really hoping that was just her, trying to assert herself into her new position. My former boss was more collaborative. My new one seems to be showing a zany side.

Anyhow, the next boss up is her boss (and ultimately my boss too). That higher boss is calm and composed, somewhat tightly wound with a formal demeanor. So employees address her in a professional manner.

I was working late one evening and most people had gone home. I heard "Marco" called out down the hall, so I responded "Polo?", slightly amused. It was my new supervisor, who said "Wrong Polo. I'm looking for Julie" (the big boss). Lol. I would never choose to address Julie in that manner. New supervisor is a bit of a character.

Part of my job involves organizing certain recurring projects that involve periodic deadlines. We had several new personnel this year, so I did a training. During the training I mentioned several times about the deadlines and advised them not to wait until just before the deadline to gather their data because in my experience glitches sometimes happens and the deadline arrives, and now they have incomplete data.

All of the employees got their data in a few days early. For one employee, the entire field was blank. No data. So I sent a few gentle reminder emails and offered my help if needed. No response to the emails. I ran into his assistant (a seasoned employee) and asked her how things were going on that. She was very stressed about it and said she had reminded him several times and he kept saying he would get to it.

So I thanked her for her support and told her not to worry about it anymore and I would handle it. I went to speak with him in the other building - in a nice way. I mentioned that I didn't see any data in the computer yet, and asked if he had any questions about the process.

He told me he hadn't started yet. This was Tuesday and the deadline was yesterday.He had all kinds of excuses. He wanted to wait until some other things were done, and he had to go observe somewhere, and blah blah. I cut those excuses short and just reminded him of the deadline and that I was available to help now, but preferred not to have to help him at the last minute.

Yesterday afternoon I looked in the system. A few pieces of the data were missing. So I went over to his building and went to talk with him about it. Apparently he had problems with one because the person went home sick, so no chance getting that data. And the other one he simply made a mistake on and did the wrong test.

The deadline was midnight last night, so he missed the deadline. I really really wanted to say I told you so. I had even said during the training to get it done early because people get sick or go out of town unexpectedly or the computer is glitchy when everyone is entering their data. And one of those happened to him, so he missed the deadline.

But - what he didn't know (and I did) was that the deadline was extended due to system difficulties. So - after he explained his reasons for missing the deadline, I simply told him that normally the data cutoff would have been midnight but he lucked out that the deadline was extended. So hopefully he will button it up on Monday.

Honestly, he is an adult. I should not have to babysit him. I am really hoping that this was simply a one time thing -that he was overwhelmed by his new job and duties, and that he'll be on top of it in the future.

If this happens on the next go-around, then I am not going to babysit him. He will have to answer to his supervisors and peers. He is just so lucky that the deadline had been extended.

Sheesh. A stray cat found its way into my cat door. And so I had quite the ruckus in my dining room when he and my cat were having a standoff. Usually when I show up it's enough to scare off other cats, but this one wouldn't budge. I was able to scoop up my cat and put him in the bathroom and shut the door. But the stray would not go any where.

I tried to pick it up but that was a bug mistake (and I have the scratches to prove it). I tried guiding it out with a broom but all he did was attack the broom. So finally I got a brilliant idea and got the vacuum out and started to vacuum. That worked. He ran out.

This was an hour ago. So eventually my cat went outside, only to enter another loud standoff right outside my bedroom window. And neither would back down. Eventually I went out there with a flashlight and a broom, and I was able to convince my cat to back off. Which he has never done before. So I brought him inside with me and gave him treats.

I don't think this is the end of this problem.

Be careful! I once saw a video of a cat attacking a woman. You may have seen it, too -- the video went viral for a time.

The cat had been harassing her dog, which was tied outside on her porch. She shooed the cat off by prodding it with her foot and kicking snow at it. The cat lunged right at her face and hung there, biting and clawing. Looked pretty nasty.

A lot of web idiots took the cat's side, which I thought was ridiculous. If a someone or something that I loved was attacked, I'd do a lot worse than prod the attacker with my foot.

I encountered an aggressive cat at my mom's house a few years ago. My dog was barking her head off at something from the second story window. It went on and on. When I finally looked out the window, I saw a cat sitting in the driveway, looking up at my dog. The cat was deliberately being a jerk!

So, I went downstairs and opened the garage door, thinking that in itself would probably scare the cat off. But it didn't.

I walked towards the cat, motioning with my hands to shoo it off. The cat just sat there and hissed at me, like he owned my driveway.

I remembered what happened to that poor lady when she tried to prod a cat. So, I grabbed a rake.

I guess the cat could have still attacked me, but when I walked towards him with the rake lowered at him, he changed his mind and slunk away.

I didn't see him again. He's probably owning someone else's driveway!

Yes, this cat would not back down. Glad I thought of the vacuum, as that did work.

So, the rest of the story is that the wound became infected, dedpite the fact i leg it bleed abd thoroughly washed it and used triple antibiotic ointment. It seemed just fine the next morning so I went for a five mile hike. Afterward it swelled up.

I took cookies over to the neighbor to discuss the lawn situation and he is a former EMT and his wife is a nurse. They told me to go to urgent care, so I did. I got a shot in the butt for the first time since I was a kid, and a 14 day prescription for antibiotics. Feeling somewhat lousy today but I had obligations at church then took my neighbor shopping then had to type up minutes for a committee meeting. Then early to bed, but of course now I can't sleep.

I skipped the committee meeting and asked them to find a new volunteer to do it from now on.

The swelling seems to be going down on my hand, so that is good.

Regarding the lawn - he wants to continue doing it, so the stripes/lines match up with his lawn. He admits he has some OCD.

He also is very paranoid. I had mentioned that his landlord (the owner of his rental house) lives a few blocks away. She started using a rental management service, so that is why he does not know her. So apparently he got real paranoid and thought she had followed him to the ATM.

From his description it didn't sound like her. Anyhow, it turns out this person lives or works in our neighborhood. He thought she was going to rob him, since she was standing in line behind him. He turned around and glared at her, and as he walked away she changed her mind at the ATM. I'm guessing she got spooked by him and he was spooked by her.

Then he started showing me pictures of a truck that parks for 10 minutes in the street before driving off. So he followed the truck and turns out it is an employee of an adult group home in our neighborhood. But my neighbor thinks he is scoping out houses to rob. He is probably just texting before driving off.

Anyhow, this neighbor is a true nut job. I'm guessing he is on disability because he does not work. So if he mows my front lawn, maybe that will keep him busy and out of trouble...

lol....as I was reading this...I was thinking GEE...I wish someone would mow MY yard. So I'm glad you brought him cookies....and found out he was a nutjob...but will continue on as your 'yard boy'. Do you have to pay him??? That's great! My mower keeps quiting….lol

He just couldn't stand it. I mow, and I'm done. Passable job. He mows one way first and then does the diagonal for the stripes. It really really bothered him that our yards didn't match.

At least his wife is normal.

No, I'm not going to pay him. I don't think it is about money for him. It's the need to control.

And as far as your mower, RN, I killed my gas one somehow so I bought a Greenworks battery powered mower. I really like it and I don't feel so guilty like I did with gas powered. Reviews were good.

So, the rest of the story is that the wound became infected, dedpite the fact i leg it bleed abd thoroughly washed it and used triple antibiotic ointment. It seemed just fine the next morning so I went for a five mile hike. Afterward it swelled up.

From the cat?

My coworker was bitten by a dog a few weeks ago and he is still having trouble with it. It's still infected, and he has a very pronounced limp. Granted, his bite was very deep.

I hope you have your wound checked out by a doctor, if it remains infected. No telling what kind of bacteria could have gone in with the claws/fangs.

From the cat?

My coworker was bitten by a dog a few weeks ago and he is still having trouble with it. It's still infected, and he has a very pronounced limp. Granted, his bite was very deep.

I hope you have your wound checked out by a doctor, if it remains infected. No telling what kind of bacteria could have gone in with the claws/fangs.

I went to Urgent Care about 8 hours after I was bitten. I've been on antibiotics since, but I see little improvement. So I'm going in to see my doc today. I decided to take the day off to allow my body to fight this. I had a slight fever of 100 yesterday, and that is with taking the antibiotic.

I went to Urgent Care about 8 hours after I was bitten. I've been on antibiotics since, but I see little improvement. So I'm going in to see my doc today. I decided to take the day off to allow my body to fight this. I had a slight fever of 100 yesterday, and that is with taking the antibiotic.

Jeez.... Unsurprising, though. My coworker went through three different antibiotics before I stopped keeping track. And he's still limping around unhappily. He missed a lot of work, too. At first everyone was making fun of him ("If Rambo can swim across a river with a bullet wound in his leg and a machine gun in his mouth, Adam can come to work"). But now it's not really funny any more.

You know, I hate to bring this up, but have you considered the possibility that the cat may have had rabies? I read about it yesterday after reading your last post and tried to dismiss it as ridiculous... but the opposite happened.

Years ago, my aunt, who loves feeding the fauna in her yard, was scratched by one of her raccoon-friends. The raccoon wasn't vicious, just excited. The scratch became infected and she called either her doctor or the department of health (can't remember which) to ask how to treat it. They told her to get treated for rabies. Then they sent a police car to her house to take her to the hospital!!!!

God, I feel horrible bringing up rabies, but with a stray you never know. To make matters worse, it takes over a month for symptoms to appear, and once they do appear the virus is at a fatal level.

Sorry to be an alarmist.

Thanks for asking, Jib. None of the doctors were concerned about rabies aND we did discuss that. But if I was near due on my tetanus shot they would have given that to me. But I'm up to date on that for another 4 years.

After I wrote that last post, I got a great night sleep. My fever broke sometime in the night. Swelling went mostly down. So I went to my doctor's appointment and the hand was doing well. She said to continue as I have. And then I took the rest of the day off of work.

Today I went back and I got a lot of reports done but not my main job. Just mostly low key.

There was a consultant doing some training, whose daughter is good friends with my older son. (They've known each other since second grade, they are adults now). Anyhow, the consultant mentioned that my son might be transferred to Seattle. Well that was news to me. Lol. I think I need to communicate with him more often, so I don't hear things second or third hand.

Thanks for asking, Jib. None of the doctors were concerned about rabies aND we did discuss that. But if I was near due on my tetanus shot they would have given that to me. But I'm up to date on that for another 4 years.

After I wrote that last post, I got a great night sleep. My fever broke sometime in the night. Swelling went mostly down. So I went to my doctor's appointment and the hand was doing well. She said to continue as I have. And then I took the rest of the day off of work.

Great. Glad to hear that you're feeling better!

My hand is healing nicely. Almost done with the antibiotics now.

Had a good weekend - I went to a "murder mystery" dinner Sat night, so I had to hunt up a costume for my character. the dinner was so much fun and we laughed so hard! In the end none of us guessed the killer.

Yesterday i.mowed my front lawn. I found that I had to pick up several dog poops in my front yard. I don't have a dog - my neighbor has 2. You know, the neighbor that mowed my lawn because my mow stripes didn't match his.

Work has been so much better. My new boss is zany at times, opinionated at times, and you always know where she stands, whether you agree or not. I do better with direct communication.

The harder thing about that is she has a firm opinion and may be more closed minded than I would like. My old boss was so collaborative and I miss that.

But new boss is bringing positive changes in with her, so she is shaking things up a bit. And that is a good thing.

I was at a dinner last night and told the group about him.

There was a psychologist at the dinner that got a funny look on her face when she heard the story. And then, strangely, she asked me to describe him. I wonder if it was one of her clients. But of course she won't share that with me and I won't ask. But it was an odd question.