Open Club  ·  99 members  ·  Free

Journals

My Life- Thoughts and Happenings

They had a staff meeting today. I'm so sad. My boss has taken another job. She is hands down my best boss ever. I actually teared up at the meeting, I was so stunned.

I mean, I'm happy for her of course. She will be doing her dream job and she is excited. But I'm so very sad to have her go.

It doesn't help that we still have an opening to replace the whacko that was just fired. And one staff member will be retiring at the end of the year due to health reasons.

My brother called to say that my dad is close to passing. He thinks it will be tonight, after my brother goes home to get a few hours sleep. (That would be my dad's style - not wanting to bother anyone). He is 100 years old, so not unexpected. He would have been 101 in a few weeks.

I am grateful for my brother having been there with him.

Thanks Sera and Jib

My sister in law called me last night. My brother had been there for 24 hours and needed to go home for a bit. He texted me and said he thought my dad would wait to die until after he left, because my dad was very private and would not have wanted to inconvenience anyone.

And that is just what happened. My dad passed away peacefully last night, after my mom went to bed in her room and my brother left for a bit.

I just spoke with my brother briefly today and he said that my mom was aware of what had happened despite the dementia. And my oldest brother traveled there to be with my mom. So she was surrounded by some of her children.

Not sure about plans for a memorial. When I was visiting at Christmas I had requested for this summer (knowing that one or both parents would likely pass away soon) since many of the family are in school or would have to make flight plans to get there. But now that it has actually happened, my siblings might have other ideas.

My brother was surprised that I went to work today. Honestly I wanted to keep busy, and although I had small waves of grief - I felt very supported there.

I had to do a staff training so I really needed to be there in the afternoon. Everyone was super nice.

Instead of using the PowerPoint presentation, I used the really monotone boring training videos. I was a bit brain dead, so that worked for me. Honestly, it was so monotone that it was almost humorous. Also, the speaker paused during the video and you could hear him turning the pages. It was.. so bad. But we got through it.

Lots of plans for the weekend. Weather is springlike, so I'll get out for a walk with my friend C and her dog.

My older son is flying in for a few days. Younger son will drive in for one night, as he has finals next week.

We will celebrate my former MILS birthday on Sunday.

My ex worked on my taxes so I'll go pick up my stuff tomorrow and will be all caught up. I'll be able to do them myself next year.

Have had waves of grief off and on. And a few days where I just couldnt concentrate. But I've been trying to be a support to my siblings, who have taken charge of things.

Also had a stressful week at work. So looking forward to the weekend.

I had such a nice visit with my older son, albeit brief. I am proud of the adult he is becoming. It sounds like he has a nice girlfriend, although she'll be going off to grad school in the fall.

Younger son breezed in and out for his grandma's party. He has finals this week but will likely stay with me for at least part of spring break.

I'll fly home for my dad's memorial service when it gets organized.

Taxes are done and sent. It was weird getting help from my ex (I didn't ask him, he offered) but I was in over my head on doing them and it would have cost me a lot to hire an accountant. Probably I'll hire one next year though.

This week has been sunny and spring-like. Lovely crocuses are out, birds have been singing, sun has been shining! Spring fever has hit many of us!

How is your mom doing?

That is a good question. With her dementia, she cannot access words to express herself. But (and I may have already written this) the day after he passed, she said she was glad he wasn't suffering. It just popped out and my brother was so surprised. I think she feels supported by her children. I wish I could call her, but she mostly can't talk. I'll know more when I fly out for the memorial service.

Knocking things off my to do list. Taxes done, bottles returned for deposit, old papers cleaned up (including a refund check I uncovered). My friend J is supposed to help with blackberry removal tomorrow (she needs the money and my yard has been taken over by this invasive plant). She was originally going to come yesterday but she is still doing her taxes. Work is on my mind, but I still have a few days off yet.

Went to a play last week - it was fun and zany.

It is beginning to feel like spring here.

Well, that didn't last long. My friend decided she didn't want to take on the job of blackberry removal - it's a huge job. I get that. She did do some hours of work so I paid her for that. It was a nice sun-shiney weekend.

I did work outside some, but my focus was on gathering and scanning pictures for the memorial service.

Work starts up again tomorrow - I really could use another week off. Oh well.

Work is intense and uncomfortable. Leadership changes are happening in more than one building, so a lot of things are up in the air. And a few people have ideas for changes - which may effect my position.

Intellectually, I get that there will be changes. I also expect the period of flux, as those changes take form. It is all normal.

What I hate- the backstabbing and negative energy that goes along with that. Like when you walk into a room and people stop talking - so you know you are being criticized.

My boss is totally in my corner. But now she is leaving.

I'm pretty sure I could get another job. Likely for better pay, too. We will see how this plays out.

I'm just stressed. It has been a tough year.

I worked 11 hours today. I received an email that denied me the ability to schedule in some work, due to outdated equipment and no money to buy it. I think an employee simply had an agenda and was using that as an excuse. I am beyond pissed.

I tried to talk with my boss's boss about it 2 weeks ago. No success. I tried sending a very well crafted email, which was blocked for some reason. I emailed and copied my immediate supervisor, and the email was brought up during a meeting today. Still denied.

I went to talk with the head boss, who didn't have time to discuss, but she could tell I was upset.

I worked so hard today, getting things done so I could go to my dad's memorial - and not have to worry about things when I am gone.