Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 8 of 295 FirstFirst ... 567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: My Life- Thoughts and Happenings

Platinum Member
    Hi Lum! Well, you HAVE been busy.

I don't think I have heard of the full spectrum light on the table. I have a vague recollection of some special light you could get here (expensive) for people with seasonal affective disorder. It worked on a timer so turns on gradually, getting stronger at around 5am. Pardon my ignorance, but what do you mean by full spectrum light. I'm guessing this is also to stimulate melatonin production.

Platinum Member
    Hi Silver
    I am equally clueless, but natural daylight is the standard and this lamp supposedly shines a light that is very close to it.

I think light does play a part in hormone production for your circadian (daily) rhythm. I am not sure if it is melatonin or serotonin or both, but I had heard that this would help him. Ideally I would get him outside first thing each day but that's not going to happen...

So I snuck this one in, onto the breakfast table.

He is probably being a typical teenager this summer by going to bed at 3 am and then gets up at noon or later, but when he was at his dads he was staying up all night and sleeping all day and I truly think that triggered the depression.

So he has been going to bed a bit earlier each day and then I've been getting him up earlier each day.

Saturday will be a rude awakening because he knows he has to be up to help with the garage sale.

The light I got was not expensive at all - it was $30 from Costco, although it was more than ten years ago.

I like the idea of one on a timer, like an alarm clock. But there is hopefully one that us adjustable because I think 5 am is way too early for me!!!

Originally Posted by Silverbirch
    Hi Lum! Well, you HAVE been busy.

I don't think I have heard of the full spectrum light on the table. I have a vague recollection of some special light you could get here (expensive) for people with seasonal affective disorder. It worked on a timer so turns on gradually, getting stronger at around 5am. Pardon my ignorance, but what do you mean by full spectrum light. I'm guessing this is also to stimulate melatonin production.

Platinum Member
    My younger son got home from his backpacking trip! It sounds like he had a great time.

They also went rafting yesterday on a river that has a dam. A few days a week they release water from the dam, so the rafting guides schedule raft groups on those days. So they rode the wave down the river!

I made him unpack last night and we already got the laundry washed.

Older son was up later than I wanted- I got up at 3:30 and told him to get to bed. It just seems like he has no brakes or judgement right now. So frustrating that I have to monitor - and I pray that he will be fine when he goes to college in a month. Maybe his roommate will be a good influence.

Much to do today to get ready for the garage sale- more pricing, signs, organizing, etc.

Platinum Member
    Phew! All ready for the garage sale. Just have to move all of the tables out into the driveway in the morning.

And we have to post some signs around the neighborhood.

And I have to dig up some change.

So tired, and my feet hurt from running around all day.

At least we have a good weather forecast- last time we had a yard sale it poured down rain!

Platinum Member
    Good Luck with the garage sale Lum! Hope you make heaps! Where do you find the time with looking after your sons as well?

Platinum Member
    Well we had a steady trickle of people all day yesterday and sold $180 of stuff. I was hoping we would have sold a lot more, but I am still glad we did it.

My younger son said that it didn't matter how much money we made, he was just happy to have stuff cleared out so he can organize his computer area better.

I have each son $20 for their help and the rest will be reserved for a future family vacation.

I loaded up some things to go to Goodwill and the nicer things will be donated to our church or to friends and some things I will try to sell on ebay.

It's good energy getting things organized!

Platinum Member
    Well, $180 is still pretty good! I'd so like to be doing that and having more space but just not enough time right now.

LOL, I was reading something last night that made me think of you. Regarding the use of lights - I see there is a type of "black light" you can get which shows up pet urine on carpet. They are not all that expensive and I think the site was called something like "UrineOff". Found out my local vet stocks some of their products. Apparently, you turn of all the lights, then go hunting for the stains which show up as a color. Then you put tape around the stains so you know where they are when you turn on the lights and you use their stain remover. Apparently, people find pet urine on furniture and walls, and that attracts the animals to going back to the same spot and surrounding region. Once the weather gets warmer and I can open everything up, I will use it and steam clean the carpet in my living area. I'm not aware of it being too bad, but know that on occasion, it has happened. Apparently, this product gets out old stains very well too and is stocked by a lot of vets.

Platinum Member
    Just something else that might interest you - maybe you already know how to do it - I was reading online about how to make those nice room deodorisers that are like a type of vase with essential oils in them and bamboo sticks placed in them. They are meant to be easy-peasey. There is a nice scent here I have smelled called Zanzibar but too expensive for me so I am looking about to make my own. It is mostly just lemon, vanilla, cinnamon and cloves - not a really feminine scent or over-powering which is what I prefer for a room.

Platinum Member
    Ha! You must have ESP! I was just researching those black lights. I don't know if the stray cat is marking but when I pulled boxes out from the garage I noticed some things had been sprayed on.

I usually but a gallon of this enzymatic cleaner called "Nature's Miracle" that helps me get up those kinds of stains and smells from the carpet. I need to clean my carpet because my elderly cat that I had to put down last spring had developed a drooling issue plus he had a few accidents that I had cleaned up by hand. Right now I am concentrating on clearing stuff out of my house and carpets will be last.

The enzyme cleaner works amazingly well.

Platinum Member
    Hi Lum,
    I have some very old stains on my carpet and haven't been able to get rid of them. I tried everything I could think of. Borax helped a bit. I'll check out the "Nature's Miracle". Does it get rid of old stains as well?

Page 8 of 295 FirstFirst ... 567891011 ... LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice