Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Men, how do you feel when women are unjustly frightened/scared of you?

Originally Posted by DN
    Why funny?
    Because if I'm not being assaulted by a man I wouldn't report him for it. That example isn't even a good fit. If a man refused to get in an elevator with me for fear of being attacked/mugged, then sure, I think that is understandable.

Originally Posted by pointless
    Would you be offended if someone make a decision about you because of a sexist generalization? Let's say, will you be offended if someone doesn't give you a job because he believe that women are dumb? That someone would expect you to bring the coffee in an office because you are a woman? Something that I have learned is that sexism is only wrong when it is geared, and doesn't give an advantage, towards women. Sexism towards men is always justified some way and expected.
    We're not saying that all men are evil or dangerous, just that it's better to be safe than sorry. I don't think it's sexism at all.

You are making a decision based only on the other person gender. Isn't that the definition of sexism?

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by pointless
    Would you be offended if someone make a decision about you because of a sexist generalization? Let's say, will you be offended if someone doesn't give you a job because he believe that women are dumb? That someone would expect you to bring the coffee in an office because you are a woman? Something that I have learned is that sexism is only wrong when it is geared, and doesn't give an advantage, towards women. Sexism towards men is always justified some way and expected.
    Dicriminating against someone for no good reason and negatively impacting their ability to earn a living is in no way shape or form comparable. I don't think it's sexist to do what is being described in this thread.

And asumming that a man will hurt you because he is a man isn't "Dicriminating against someone for no good reason"?

Platinum Member
    How is that sexist discrimination? My understanding of sexist discrimination is that it is harmful to the object and there is no good reason. How does this qualify as that?

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared
    You're in no way harming anybody by not getting in an elevator with them . That is not sexism at all. How is the man harmed because a woman did not get in the elevator? Most likely he hasn't even noticed or even thought about it. It is not like we scream out "I'm not getting on the elevator with you because you could be a rapist because you are a man."

In your opinion the fact that someone would rather wait for another elevator that going on the same elevator that you will not cause any kind of psychological harm? Or the fact that men are supposed to expect woman to fear them? What kind of self image will a young boy create in a world where he is told that men are to be feared and can hurt him or his family any time? You may not be yelling "I'm not getting on the elevator with you could could be a rapist because you are a man" but your actions are saying it.

On the other hand I can give you a better example. I have known many guys that got murdered because someone paid a woman, an acquaintance of his, to lure him into places where they could mug or kill him for vengeance. Would it be fair for me to tell the men I know to never trust women and avoid meeting them even if they know them? That's

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared
    I do trust men. I am married and have my own son. If I did not trust them I would not have got married. But however I am sorry I am not going to put myself in danger because someone might feel "psychological damage" because I caught another elevator. They should try on my psychological damage for a day because I was raped so many times. If they are psychologically damaged because I did not get on an elevator they might need help more than I do.

Silver Member
    Originally Posted by lady00
    How is that sexist discrimination? My understanding of sexist discrimination is that it is harmful to the object and there is no good reason. How does this qualify as that?
    No, I believe any time you make a decision based on somebody's sex, it is sexism, whether or not there is any harm done or intended just the same as if it's based on race (racism) or whatnot. It's the same thing if I treat a customer differently because they're in a wheelchair. They might be offended if I try to help because I think they are incapable, it's a form of descrimination.

But I don't think anybody is going to tell you not to put yourself in a situation that you're not comfortable with.

Originally Posted by Victoria66
    You're in no way harming anybody by not getting in an elevator with them . That is not sexism at all. How is the man harmed because a woman did not get in the elevator? Most likely he hasn't even noticed or even thought about it. It is not like we scream out "I'm not getting on the elevator with you because you could be a rapist because you are a man."
    Now, if the woman is in the elevator and a man approaches the elevator and she refuses to let him on...? Is it any different? Is this any more or less sexist?

Originally Posted by DN
    How would you feel if a man refused to get into an elevator with you because he was afraid you were going to accuse him of sexually assaulting you?
    I think this is a relevant question. It seems to point to the idea that people generally think it's silly when a MAN reports sexual assault.

In many companies when a male supervisor (for example) needs to speak to a female subordinate behind closed doors, there needs to be a third person, a witness. This person is there for TWO reasons, one to protect the subordinate against sexual assault and the other to protect the supervisor against false accusations of sexual assault.
    Last edited by Gilson; 01-18-2013 at 03:03 PM.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice