Can friends kiss each other on the cheek?

Reminiscence

Im curious as to whether friends of the opposite sex are allowed to kiss each other on the cheek. One of my friends thinks that it's usually the girl that does it to the guy so it's ok. One of my friends says it means they like you and have feelings for you. This friend also says it depends on the situation. Did it happen when you greet or say good bye to each other? Or out of the blue? Have you been friends for a long time or recently met them?

Isn't there some societal norm about being friends with the opposite sex and what you're allowed or not allowed to do?

It all depends on your comfort level and those around you. I some cultures it is more common than a handshake to kiss someone on the cheek. I think that you need to just make sure if you feel it is okay to confirm that with whom ever you are friends with. Another thing to take into consideration is how your significant other/ other friends may feel. Always just be honest with people about it and figure out where they stand.

I think generally speaking it is more acceptable for a girl to kiss a guy on the cheek, but like I said, it's all based on your personal comfortability and perception.

It's cultural, yep.

If the person doing it is used to doing that to all their fiends, then it's just a friendly gesture and shouldn't be viewed as anything more.

If a person ONLY does it to one opposite sex friend and won't do it to others, then yeah, it probably means something else.

I personally don't kiss any of my friends (regardless of gender) on the cheek but if other people do it because it's in their culture, I'm fine with it.

Ok if it's not the norm here in America then is it a dead giveaway that they have feelings for you?

No, because different people are raised differently here in America. I do know 1-2 people (girls) who do the kiss on the check thing with their friends, both same and opposite sex.

I think the key is to find out if they do it with their other friends too.

I think for some people, kissing someone on the cheek during the GREETING or saying goodbye might be acceptable, particularly if the person is also doing it to same sex friends, but just kissing an opposite sex friend on the check randomly is a no no. But mostly in America it depends on how well you know them.

I do this. Where I grew up, it's kinda insulting if you don't. So, yes, I kiss my guy friends during greetings - but I also kiss their wives or girlfriends (if I know them) and grandmas. So, it's never been an issue or been misinterpreted (I don't think) Basically, if I know you, you are getting a kiss.

But I should really point out (at least where I am from), it's not really a lips on cheek thing. It's more of a cheek on cheek thing with a kissy-noise. Maybe some side-lip on cheek.

I don't know that I'd ever really interpret a kiss on the cheek as an "I like you" thing. Unless... you know... they never do that or are fidgety or are over-touching you.

I agree that you should just figure out if they do that to basically everyone or just one person. That will tell you everything.

I'm the same as RedDress, cheek to cheek and a kissy noise. It's actually quite funny when you think about it. There's so many different cultures here in Dubai that it's quite awkward when one person is used to 2-3 kisses on the cheeks (right, left, right) and then others are only used to one. I kiss all guys on the cheek to say hello and goodbye and sometimes it's common to do it as a "thank you" gesture. If the person in question only ever kisses the cheek of one person, and nobody else in the friend circle, then I would say there was probably some feelings behind that (unless they are BFF's )

There's so many different cultures here in Dubai that it's quite awkward when one person is used to 2-3 kisses on the cheeks (right, left, right) and then others are only used to one.

Ha! CeeLambrini - just to add confusion, I do two! (left, right)

It definitely is awkward when you're not sure how many times someone is going to kiss you. Haha...

Well when I got kissed on the cheek it wasn't a greeting or goodbye.

I used to date this guy but he called things off in October. Said he was too busy with school to be in a relationship. He wanted to stay friends. About two weeks ago he offered to spend the night with me to talk about this horrifying nightmare I had. We sleep in the same bed because he didn't want him to sleep on a dirty couch(roommates are messy) and I didn't want him to sleep on the floor. However, he just hops into my bed before he says that he didn't want to sleep on the couch because it was dirty. Nothing happens other than we talk about the nightmare and I start crying and he comforts me by holding my hand and stroking my hair. We fall asleep. It isn't until the morning that he kisses me on the cheek as he is getting out of bed to go to the bathroom. As he is getting back into bed I roll on to my stomach. A little while later, his hand goes under and up the back of my shirt. He doesn't do anything but just lets his hand rest there. I don't remember if I moved or if he moved his hand away.

So what do you think? Last I checked friends dont jump into peoples beds, kiss them on the cheek when they are in bed, or put their hand up the others shirt.

...or can they?

I kiss female friends on the cheek as a greeting if I know them well enough to be pleased to see them. Just a quick peck, different to how I would greet a girlfriend. Guys get a good firm manly handshake.

Same here to male (and female) friends. Its just a greeting when you are pleased to see someone. I certainly dont think its anything sexual.

Same here to male (and female) friends. Its just a greeting when you are pleased to see someone. I certainly dont think its anything sexual.

Yeah I can see how as a greeting it can be platonic. I think the problem is when it's not used a greeting or good bye is where I'm getting tripped up. The fact that it can be both used platonically and sexually...kinda makes for a lot of gray area IMO...if that makes sense

Oh. I just read your other thread. It is absolutely, 100% clear to me that this guy wanted sex. It's a mind trick. Here is how it works (sometimes it works in opposite genders, but more commonly IMO man-to-woman)

Guy meets girl.

Guy and girl go on a few dates or date a short while.

Guy gives some kind of weak excuse about "not wanting a relationship right now".

Guy continues to give mixed signals, on purpose (texting, flirting, etc)

Girl gets hopeful that he really does like her and wants a relationship. She thinks "if I only..." (in your case kiss him), then maybe he'll see how much he really wants me.

Guy takes advantage of this (hopefully it leads to sex) and hopefully gets physical.

Guy milks it as long as possible until girl confronts him about relationship status.

Guy says something like "... but I told you I didn't want a relationship right now, I thought that was understood"

And then you are stuck. Because he WAS honest and he DID say that he didn't want a relationship.

... but you'll never get him to admit it.

He sent a text "I felt bamboozled". See? Mixed messages. What he really means is that he thought he was going to get laid when he came over at 1 in the morning and lied in bed with you. If you confront him on it, though, he'll say that he felt bamboozled because you kissed him and he doesn't want a relationship. That it was just a friendly gesture.

I swear... this stuff has to be in a player's handbook somewhere.

You avoid this stuff by having boundaries as someone else said. By saying "No" when someone wants to come over in the middle of the night. By saying "No" when they want to sleep in bed with you. By saying "No" when they start to touch you inappropriately (putting his hand under your shirt). By listening to their words when they say "I don't want a relationship".

Ditch this dude. He's playing with your head.

Edited to say: And he's not even being creative about it...

• 2 weeks later...

He sent a text "I felt bamboozled". See? Mixed messages. What he really means is that he thought he was going to get laid when he came over at 1 in the morning and lied in bed with you. If you confront him on it, though, he'll say that he felt bamboozled because you kissed him and he doesn't want a relationship. That it was just a friendly gesture.

But he kissed me first...if it were the other way around and I had kissed him first then he could have used that to his advantage. If anything he tripped himself up when he kissed me. Not to mention I had kissed him multiple times after him so I'm finding it hard to believe he wanted sex.

Archived