Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Babysitter's Club Books appropriate for a 7 year old?

She's 8 still, going to be 9 in the summer. I lived the Secret Garden growing up. Thanks!

She like the "Magic Tree House" series. Good for kids that age. She sounds like a bright young girl who likes to visit cool foreign places in her reading so I would highly recommend Magic Tree House.

I know it's old fashioned but I liked Nancy Drew growing up at that age so I always recommend those books.

Platinum Member poetryandlyrics's Avatar
    I loved Lemony Snicket, it's just a really funny read. Still have those books.
    If she reads ahead, why not let her explore books in the store to get a feel of her taste?

I'm glad she loves Percy Jackson. As an English teacher I tend to keep my ear to the ground for popular contemporary books. I haven't met one student who has read Percy Jackson and said they hated the series.

My other personal recommendations:
    1. Any books written by Neil Gaiman. The Graveyard Book was a smashing hit with my younger readers. He has a wicked sense of humor and I always find his writing very quirky and entertaining.

2. Diary of a Wimpy Kid- very amusing series. There's a girls version (written by a different author) called Dorky Diaries... I prefer Wimpy Kid.

3. Harry Potter is a must.

4. Narnia is amazing story-telling seeing that she loves Percy Jackson.

5. Holes by Louise Sacher.

6. Girl Who Owned A City by O.T. Nelson. A virus kills all the adults and the only survivors are children ages 12 and under. Great survival story. Many students who hated reading were glued to this book and got so upset when they had to stop reading it in class.

7. Tuck Everlasting. Girl meets a boy and his family who drank from a spring, which causes them to live forever. Heavy dark themes on mortality, though it's an easy read. I love it because it really gets readers thinking about the values of life.

If you want more ideas, I Highly recommend checking out link removed. I like the reviews better there than on Amazon. Here's a link to children's fiction: link removed

Also, check out Scholastics website for more age appropriate book titles: link removed
    Last edited by Snny; 03-08-2014 at 03:31 AM. Reason: I hate my iPad :(

I'm in high school now, and I've always loved to read. I definitely think the babysitters club books are age-appropriate. When I was younger, I also loved Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle, Louis Sachar's Wayside School books, the Boxcar Children mysteries, The Giver, Holes, and Maniac Magee. The best books I've ever read were the Harry Potter series, and I started them when I was about that age, and I think I was about 11 when I read the last book. One warning though is that those books get dark after about book 4. It's nothing that would be bad for a kid to read, but there are some characters who die and a lot of depressing parts. If I had a niece, I'd probably read the books too so if it was upsetting, she had someone to talk to about it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Give Advice
Ask For Advice