Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Babysitter's Club Books appropriate for a 7 year old?

Babysitter's Club Books appropriate for a 7 year old?

I loved the baby sitters club books - I read them when I was about 10 years old. My niece is now 7 years old and a very good reader, reading several grade levels ahead of where she is. I think she would love the babysitters club books, but i'm not sure if they are age appropriate for a 7 year old (talk of kissing and boyfriends). I was thinking about getting her some for christmas but wasn't sure.

thoughts?

I read them when I was around seven. I didn't have a problem with them.

What kind of books is she interested?

oh she reads everything. i got her the judy blume books 2 years ago and she loved them. she reads all sorts of books - i saw shel silverstein books in her bedroom too. she's also getting into greek mythology. she's read all the Roald Dahl books.

i just wasn't sure if BSC was too "racy" for her age, lol.

Greek Mythology... has she read the Percy Jackson series? It's a bit on the fifth grade reading level, but if she's an avid reader she might be able to enjoy them.

I also highly recommend Judy Moody. It's big in the elementary division. Diary of a Wimpy Kid is also a major go. I know a couple of people who are currently reading Dork Diaries (it's like the girl version of Wimpy kid), but it might have boy talk in it... I'll ask them about it tomorrow

dunno about percy jackson! i'll look up judy moody. i didn't see that in her room either. thanks for the suggestions!

I read Babysitter Club around 7. If you are worried about content, get her the babysitter club litter sister series. I read those too. The main character is a younger girl and there is definitely zero talk of boyfriends and whatnot.

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared
    At that age I was reading Anne of Green Gables and Little House on the Prairie books, Heidi, Nancy Drew.........

They may be a bit "old fashioned" for these days but I think these days are a little too racy for kids any way. Let them be little kids. They only get to be one once.

Platinum Member
    I read Babysitters Club books when I was seven since my reading level was higher than the average seven year old. There isn't much talk about kissing. It might mention somewhere that someone kissed someone else on a first date or something like that, but it doesn't go into detail at all. I think some Judy Blume books are more 'racy' than BSC.

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by blueidealist24
    I read Babysitters Club books when I was seven since my reading level was higher than the average seven year old. There isn't much talk about kissing. It might mention somewhere that someone kissed someone else on a first date or something like that, but it doesn't go into detail at all. I think some Judy Blume books are more 'racy' than BSC.
    It depends. There are some Judy Blume books like Superfudge that would be appropriate, but not her later books. What about Beverly Cleary and the Ramona books?

I read those books about that age and even wanted to start my own BSC! dawn was my favorite.

Are they still printing those books? I've seen a lot of them in used book stores.

The little sister aeries is really good for that age bc the main character Karen is 7 or 8.

Superfudge and tales of a 4th grade nothing are really good too. I loved those books! How to eat fried worms was great at that age for me too.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice