New ring or Used Ring

New ring or Used Ring  

21 members have voted

1. 1. New ring or Used Ring

• New ring
    • Used ring

When you get engaged do you want a new ring or a used one? Do you feel it is important for you to receive a brand spanking new ring or one that maybe your SO bought at a discount somewhere so they could save money but at the same time get you a better quality ring for the money they had.

Well..I had a new ring, lol. However, it was very plain and suited to me, I picked it out. A plain silver band and very inexpensive. That's what I wanted.

So there would really be no reason for my partner to shop for a discount ring. You can't really get any more inexpensive than my taste. If I COMPLETELY fell in love with a ring that was outrageously expensive and my partner could get it for less, and it was in perfect shape and covered under a warranty...Sure, go for it. But those rings are just not my style.

My first ring was new, but bought at a discount because I worked at the store. My second ring because I lost my first one was also new but was bought for 80% off. So I got a VERY nice ring for an outstanding price.

I am not sure how I would feel about a used one to be truthful. If it was a family heirloom I think I would have no problem with that. Other than that I am not sure.

Ha ha this is hilarious!

New! Or a heirloom, but only if the family member had not been divorced or had a terrible marriage. Certainly would NOT want a bought used ring. Also discount vs, thrift store, vs second hand store, vs fell of a truck, are very different things, perhaps you should have included that in the OP.

My first engagement ring was actually my promise ring that he gave me (so I guess it was 'used' but used by myself right now I only wear my wedding band but one day we would like to get me a nice diamond ring so that would be new, but I don't care if we get is discount or not. I'd prefer we did! I wouldn't have said no to a family heirloom ring though.

Some of the most beautiful rings i've ever seen are antiques. I LOVE cushion cut diamonds and the settings which they did in Victorian times. So i would choose an 'antique' that may have been 'used' several times and not care. The newness of it isn't really relevant, just whether you think it is a beautiful ring that matches your style.

By choosing a used or antique diamond, you can often get a lot more ring for your money if you avoid retail stores that sell 'new' diamonds, and also avoid the 'blood diamonds' now mined in territories where people are maimed or killed for them.

Check out the 'used' (antique!) beauties you can get... a fabulous ring for far less than a boring 'modern' diamond:

link removed

Personally, I would prefer new and simple/modest to older and 'bigger' or more ornate.

I'm a pretty simple person. I don't wear a lot of make-up or jewlery. I'm not big on bling. So a very simple solitaire with a smaller or lower quality stone (no one can really tell anyways unless you are a jewler) would suit me just fine. Those don't have to be expensive...

I'm a little superstitious about rings so I would want to know the history of the ring. If its a used ring from a happy marriage then I would feel like its a blessing but a used ring from an unhappy marriage would feel tainted. If you don't know the history then give me tin foil over the unknown any day

I would say used. I wouldn't care so much if he felt he was getting a discount, but I do love antique rings. As long as it wasn't an ex-wife's of his, I wouldn't think too much about the history of it either (unless he found out about it and it was very interesting). It's not a magical amulet that controls a marriage!

if you are really superstituous, you can always ask for a priest or someone to cleanse it or whatnot. lol. go burn some sage over it.

i wondered about kate using diana's old engagement ring. that was a terrible marriage. however, kate and william seem like a very very different couple than charles and diana. so it probably doesn't matter. and it's a beautiful ring.

if you are really superstituous, you can always ask for a priest or someone to cleanse it or whatnot. lol. go burn some sage over it.

i wondered about kate using diana's old engagement ring. that was a terrible marriage. however, kate and william seem like a very very different couple than charles and diana. so it probably doesn't matter. and it's a beautiful ring.

Yes, that is a beautiful example. His parents had a horrible marriage and yet he gave it to his bride because it was special to his mother. By all account the Prince and His Princess have a great marriage.

That is a good idea about having it blessed.

I thought of them as well when I read this thread. Charles and Diana's marriage was horrendous but it was really William's only way of having his mom 'present' - and as you said, it is a beautiful ring.

I'm a little superstitious about rings so I would want to know the history of the ring. If its a used ring from a happy marriage then I would feel like its a blessing but a used ring from an unhappy marriage would feel tainted. If you don't know the history then give me tin foil over the unknown any day

What she said. Exactly how I feel. Same with wedding dresses.

LMAO

Yeah give it couple more years.

You're forgetting measuring the time of years, too focus on the present "moments."

Haha, this is funny! My boyfriend asked me once what kind of ring I would like, and the only thing criteria I gave him was that it had to be a least 100 years old (and we have no heirlooms). I love old things and I'm not superstitious.

I'd be fine with a new ring too, but I'd prefer an antique.

Archived