Open Club  ·  31 members  ·  Free

Book Talk

"A Course in Miracles"

Silverbirch

I've heard of these books for years and always meant to read them. Yesterday, I came accross a book I bought called: "A Return to Love - Reflections on the Principles of A Course in Miracles".

So far, I gather that she sees a "miracle" as a shift in perception. I'm only early into the book but think I will enjoy it.

Anyone read them? I know one ENA member who has so hope you will post here, telling me what parts of the course you especially liked. Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

My ex went through A Course in Miracles for a year. At first I thought it was kooky but it did create a profound shift in his outlook in life and brought some peace and focus to his life.

He then moved on to other teachings including Eckhart Tolle (The Power of Now), Buddhist teachings (Pema Chodron), Byron Katie, Dr. Gerald Jampolsky, Dr.Wayne Dyer, Thich Nat Hanh (sp?).

I later bought my own copy of A Course in Miracles and some day I will go through it myself. But I would suggest you do it with a study group, because it is great to go through the transformations and new ideas on life with others.

I love Marianne Williamson. She is like the best known figurehead who teaches from the Course in Miracles. She's the one who wrote this superfamous quote:

“Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?

Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you.

We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.”

The gist of the Course in Miracles seems to be that only love is real. So there's nothing to fear. Everything is either love or a request for love. If I remember right. Not super practical day to day, but very uplifting spiritually.

Interesting fact--the lady who wrote (or should we say, "channeled") this book suffered from her own psychological disorders and wasn't a very happy person herself.

I have this book from my younger years of being fascinated by such subjects. It's quite terse and horridly laborious to read (think Biblical style), so if you can make it all the way through, that's an achievement in and of itself.

Interesting fact--the lady who wrote (or should we say, "channeled") this book suffered from her own psychological disorders and wasn't a very happy person herself.

I have this book from my younger years of being fascinated by such subjects. It's quite terse and horridly laborious to read (think Biblical style), so if you can make it all the way through, that's an achievement in and of itself.

I still have my copy too. It looks like a bible. So I don't feel quite right about tossing it out. The used book shop didn't want it. Never got any further into it than flipping the pages.

I think I have that book, but never read it... (like ACIM, lol)

But I have to say that I do believe in spreading your "light" around, and if you always strive to do that then it really makes a difference in your day to day life. The thing I struggled with is wondering how you do that but set healthy boundaries and limits with others. I came to the conclusion that sometimes the loving thing to do is to set limits, much like you would do for a child. But if you think about it, what happens when you are kind or compassionate with someone or even simply give them a smile. They may soften, they may feel less angry, they may even smile back. Well, they may not smile back at you, but maybe to the next person.

If you look at each person as someone that has that light of love within them too - but it may be obscured or they may not even know it - and you realize that we are all connected through that light somehow.

It is not easy to follow in the heat of the moment, but I have let go of a lot of pain and resentment from what my ex put me through (even though he thought he was "enlightened") and have come to a place that is more peaceful and forgiving. He is on a journey and so am I, and I am letting go...and moving on my own path.

We are all human and sometimes we step off the path - no one is perfect - but it is a good path to strive to stay on as much as possible.

Huh...

Maybe I will start reading ACIM starting on January 1. If anyone wants to join me, feel free. I will start a new thread. I know it is quite different, and tough to get through but I have seen the transformation in my ex when he stuck with it, and I do know it can make a huge difference.

Yes, the book I have is by Marrianne Williamson and is called "A Return to Love -Reflections on the Principles of A Course of Miracles". If I can find copies of the original books she refers to, I'll pop into the thread which is starting in January. Thanks.

I love Marianne Williamson. She is like the best known figurehead who teaches from the Course in Miracles. She's the one who wrote this superfamous quote:

“Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?

Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you.

We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.”

The gist of the Course in Miracles seems to be that only love is real. So there's nothing to fear. Everything is either love or a request for love. If I remember right. Not super practical day to day, but very uplifting spiritually.

I've had the book for a couple decades I think, have read it off and on, and found great help with a study group over the last 5 or so years. Actually, meeting regularly, in person, I get more out of it reading together, discussing, and by osmosis than I do alone. The gist of ACIM is mindfulness. It has it's own unique metaphysics, but it is similar to other teachings. This past year I have taken a break from it and tended more toward insight meditation, which I find very similar but lately have been thinking of going back to the group. It always helps me shift my perspective and energy. I've never made it through all of the lessons, maybe I will some day. I've read Marianne Williamson's book, and she has her own take on ACIM, I think it's a slight shift from the message of ACIM, but that's ok, too. I think ACIM is at a point where there are various interpretations of it, different "followings" even. The main things I get from it are mindfulness, being willing to see things differently, and coming to recognize that spiritual guidance is within, not outside of us, not even in a book, and it really is a light hearted look at everything we have here, what we do, and believe.

You might be interested in some of the videos on YouTube by Ken Wapnick. He worked with the 2 people that ACIM is most associated with and I think really gets to the core of it.

This one, perhaps:

Archived