10 years but different music tastes

MicheleDC

I am in love with a man ten years older. I don't consider that an age gap. However, he had older brothers and his favorite music isn't really from his teens, because then we would have similar music memories. His favorite music is from when he was about 10, and I was an infant. I actually know way more about 50s and 60s golden oldies because my parents listened to their music from their teens. And I know a lot about music from the big band and swing era post WWII since my grandparents listened to their music.

Since I am not that familiar with music from late 60s and early 70s, the guy I am crazy about and only 10 years older, thinks that may be an indication we aren't compatible.

Oh wait - HE said it may indicate incompatibility? (Sorry, I misread that). In that case, I agree with BrianH46 above - sounds like he's using it as an excuse. Maybe he's not really interested in getting involved with you? Are you two already dating, or is this just some guy you are interested in?

Different tastes in music absolutely should not be a factor in whether or not a relationship will work out. That is silly. That is the same as if you really like brownies but he prefers cookies. Who gives a damn. And better yet, the difference in tastes can actually give both of you the opportunity to appreciate something new. To learn to appreciate what the other likes and whatnot.

I'd say he has great taste in music! I am roughly the same age as you, and I prefer music from the 60's and 70's. I just went to see a Led Zeppelin cover band last night.

Do you dislike the era, or are just not familiar?

Beatles

Stones

Floyd

Zeppelin

I don't think there will ever be a more incredible era in popular music.

Give it a chance. Ask him about his favourite bands. You might be pleasantly surprised.

Different tastes in music absolutely should not be a factor in whether or not a relationship will work out. That is silly. That is the same as if you really like brownies but he prefers cookies. Who gives a damn. And better yet, the difference in tastes can actually give both of you the opportunity to appreciate something new. To learn to appreciate what the other likes and whatnot.

I have to disagree to a point.

I could not be with a girl who likes Justin Bieber.

But that may be more indicative of a difference in maturity, rather than taste.

A lot of men his age think no music exists after the Rolling Stones and the Beatles. It's the only era of music I did not grow up listening to, other than Classic Rock, which really makes me laugh. I haven't made my interest in him known. We've been friends for over 2 years.

Archived