Ask For Advice
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: When a woman touches you on the shoulder...

Generation

When a woman touches you on the shoulder...

I've been googling this topic and I've been reading mixed thoughts, from men and from women, so I thought hey why not just make my own thread and hear some more thoughts.

What does it mean when a woman touches you a man on the shoulder? Is it just a friendly gesture or something more? Would you touch any of your guy friends on the shoulders or only the ones you may be interested in or attracted to?

While I'm on the subject, what about when a woman squeezes your arm (bicep) nonchalantly?

minorissues
    Bronze Member
    Depends! When I was younger (late teens to mid 20s) I was pretty reserved and would only touch guys on the arm or bicep or whatever if I was interested in them romantically. I was stiff as a board with guys I didn't want to give the "wrong impression" to. As I got older and more comfortable in my skin, I would pretty much touch guys on the arm just to develop a connection, whether romantic or otherwise. It's no fun talking to someone without a bit of a connection after all. Heck I even touch girls on the arm for the same reason!

nutbrownhare
    Platinum Member
    Depends on the person. I'm very tactile and tend to touch anyone who looks as though they won't feel I'm invading their personal space. Yes, I'm interested in them as people but it doesn't necessarily mean anything more than that.

With someone who's more reserved, it would be far more significant if THEY touched you - so there are no hard and fast rules here!

Klokwurk
    Platinum Member
    Means nothing, just a touch on the arm. Here in the US, and in most places, it would just be considered part of having a casual conversation.

Miss Firecracker
    Platinum Member Miss Firecracker's Avatar
    I would never touch a man on the shoulder unless I wanted his body. Just depends on the individual though. Many people are all touchy with everyone.

itsallgrand
    Any touch like that is an invitation to further closeness. Some people are more reserved than others, and some people are more flirty than others (without it meaning anything)...

but it's a green light to further interaction.

Personally? Squeezing a bicep to me is some serious blatant flirting. A touch on the shoulder? Can be anything from a casual "hi" to something more. It's in the overall body language.

I wouldn't touch someone on the shoulder if I didn't want to at least talk to them.

GirlontheLam
    I am moderately touchy.

A touch on the arm is pretty meaningless. It is kinda like I am listening or I emphasis. I wouldn't touch you, unless I like you on some level, but that doesn't have to be romantic.

Blatant flirting for me? Long touch anywhere on the arm (think like 3 seconds), forearm stroke, and the big guns: a knee touch or stroke!

Bicep or arm squeeze? This one is totally mixed for me. A few parts flirting, a few parts trying to get your attention.

Generally speaking, more touches or longer touches are a good sign of attraction.

Abigaelle
    Silver Member
    I'm very touchy and for me, a touch on the shoulder would more of a friendly gesture. It all depends on the way it's done though. If its a long touch , well, it's more of a flirting gesture.
    Bicep or arm.. Any touch on these would be considered as a definite romantic touch.
    I even touch my girlfriends on the shoulder..

Ms Darcy
    I agree it depends on the person.

A touch on the arm can be flirty or it can be harmless. A bicep squeeze is probably flirting though!

Nick7lno
    It depends on their eyes, if they touch you on the arm and shoulders and there’s something in there yes, then it could mean something else. If they have this certain look in their eyes. I do it, I’m pretty comfortable with touching people on the arms or shoulders, so it doesn't really mean anything, unless they or I have something else in our eyes. Which I don't unless it’s with my girlfriend.
    Hmm, it could be flirty, again it depends. If you needed comfort or you were upset and she squeezed your bicep then it is more of a reassuring thing, but other than that I'd say it was a flirt.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Top Threads
Do any of these guys like me or am i being played by a group of friends ?
Im new here, so sorry if I talk a lot, but next time i will summarize my posts. Crazy enough, I found myself attracted to this guy Jay the first
Did he not tell me about her because maybe he once considered leaving her for me
I met Ash during a high school field trip to see the Great Gatsby. He went to a high school 2 hours away, but we got to know eachother and he even
Does he like me???
So there's this guy. His always flirting with me and asking me to go places with him. I really feel like he likes me, but today we were talking and
dad says go.find a.rich girl lol
Was at family reunion and my dad tells me go find rich chinese girl. He tells me how meighbour wifes side family bought house..the girl is lawyer and
She kissed me while being drunk
So I know this girl as a language exchange partner for about a month... we text and sometimes talk on the phone but are often busy to meet. Today I
Girl I Just Met Going Distant When Texting Her... Happens A Lot... What's Up?
Hey folks, been reading this forum for a while now. Plenty of good stuff on here, so keep it up! I keep running into a problem with girls I meet
So confused with mixed signals, help!
I've been working with this guy for 3 years. He is in a relationship with a girl and I'm in a relationship with a guy. We all work together (except

Expert Advice
Featured Threads
Tired of Being His Provider??
Okay so I found this site through Google. This seems like a pretty common topic and I suppose I just need to vent. My husband has been unemployed
Beautiful women who works at lush...
So there is this a girl who works at this place. I've been in there twice now and she is a stunner. Its one of those girls who you have to look twice
Being left for another man by my ex girlfriend
My and my ex gf broke up 7 months ago back in late April. We had bad fights and she stated she was unhappy. She then proceeded to have an active
Wondering?
Ok, I posted before about my situation but I would like to further talk. This woman I became involved with 3 years ago TOLD me she had feelings for
Break up Advice Needed
Hi all, I really need some advice on my recent break up with my girlfriend of almost five years. A few months ago I started to feel unhappy and
She's getting ready for marriage. She thinks that it is what I want. My fault.
So, I am pretty much in a difficult situation. I have been with a girl for the past 4 years. In these 4 years, after a while I realized she really
Venting - Advice...?
Hello, Im a 36 year old male, married with 3 kids. My wife and I are pretty much like roommates. There is zero sex life and its from both ends
Ask For Advice