Ask For Advice

Thread: Join bank account and SSI benefits

fresaartistica

Join bank account and SSI benefits

Hey everyone, my dad has the idea that he can have a savings account in his name for money that I can use while I am getting SSI. He and I have a joint bank account, and so far, he took 2,500 bucks from me and put it into that savings account. My worry is if he transfers that money back into my account, my SSI payments will be lower per month. If this lowers my income, how do I rectify this situation? I am angry that dad took the money from my account without my approval first. I want to get as much SSI as I can, and I'm afraid my dad is jeopardizing that. Nobody has guardianship over me, and I manage my own money. Opinions anyone?

tiredofvampires
    Forum Supporter tiredofvampires's Avatar
    Which account did he take $2500 from that was yours, to put into the joint account? It's very confusing to me, because if you have your own account, he can't withdraw money from that without your consent to put into a joint account; and if he took money from your joint account to put into that same account which you share, that makes even less sense. Unless I'm missing something.

If you have a joint account, unless you have already reported this to the federal government when they approved your SSI, this alone could jeopardize your benefits, to my understanding of how the system works. Someone else's income being jointly shared by you would count as an asset, and that would lower your benefit amount or disqualify you. Any money that you are earning or someone is giving you will count against you.

If you loaned him money, and he paid you back, that would not count against you (though you're not supposed to have enough money to loan a person -- loaning someone $2500 while on SSI would raise some eyebrows.) But to pool resources means you may be getting extra unearned income, and that would count against you. When they determine your SSI eligibility, they are looking at your income and your income alone.

I strongly urge you to get your own separate account in your name only.

I'm not an SSI/SSDI lawyer, so you should consult with someone like this, perhaps. But you have to keep his and your funds officially separate, as far as I know.
    Last edited by tiredofvampires; 09-02-2012 at 01:11 AM.

Miss Firecracker
    Platinum Member Miss Firecracker's Avatar
    If your dad puts that money into an account with YOUR name on it, then you are at risk of losing your SSI.

fresaartistica
    I am also realizing that hiding a savings account by having my dad's name on it alone is fraud if I am using the money with my dad's help. That is wrong, and I wasn't thinking! I'm having my dad pay that money to my student loans, and I won't use any of it for anything else! I don't want to be charged with fraud and have a record! As for the 500 he just took out, I'm gonna have him use that for my rent, bus ticket, and food. By the way, my dad didn't need the money, he was trying to help me by saving money for me. I asked around, and did some research, and realized this situation would hurt me more than help me! I will be taking mom and dad's names off my account, closing it, and opening a new account in just my name.
    Last edited by fresaartistica; 09-02-2012 at 03:26 PM.

Top Threads
Potential Bullying at Work? How Do I Handle Situation?
I've recently started a new job as an assistant manager. For the most part, I love my job and do my very best. I'm not exactly new to managing as I
Need Advice - it's urgent for me
Hello Everyone, I meesed up my life and I take full responsibilty. I ned advice and what to do to remedy the situation immediately and prevent it
Boss Won't Give Me Time Off for My Stag and Doe
I've been working on a temporary contract with a company since March. I was told that after the contract was done, they like to try to keep employees
An Update
Just wanted to let you all know my job is still fantastic! I'm happy, it's going well, even had a one to one meeting and it was very positive. :) I
How do I tell my boss that I'm feeling "left out"?
Hi everyone. In December I took a new position with a hardware store called Regional Operations Team. In essence I go around our region fixing up
Feeling a little lost.
I'm in my fourth year of college. I switched my major three times. First nursing, then sonography, and now it's math. I now have two years left from
Fearing Bankruptcy and May not Qualify for Bankruptcy
I'm on disability after five months in the hospital and a group home place inpatient and have made it through Bipolar. However I have ten bills I

Featured Threads
Parent and relationships problems
So clearly i need help sooo i will get right into the story.....sorry its so long I am a 25 year old male who is in a relationship with my 19
My boyfriend is trying to date other woman on online dating site.
I really need help. I am so confused. My boyfriend is on online dating site. He said he wants to date other women. We were on and off relationship
My wife left me without having even a talk
Hi everybody, I wonder if this is normal just to leave a marriage of 7 years without having a proper talk before moving on? It happened to me that
Confused about FWB
Last weekend my FWB and I made plans to meet up. He drove down from his place to go to a party with friends, afterwards he was coming to spend the
Everything is just JUMBLED
I have an extremely, EXTREMELY screwed up life. At least from my point of view it is. At least I think I'm the only one that knows my own
Getting over someone to be with them again later?
Long story short, my ex broke up with me after 4 years because he said he was immature and needed to grow up without me and part of that was meeting
Need Advice - it's urgent for me
Hello Everyone, I meesed up my life and I take full responsibilty. I ned advice and what to do to remedy the situation immediately and prevent it
Ask For Advice