Really bad yeast infection and I'm in pain

Fudgie

I'm a little worried cause I've never had this happen before.

So about 3 days ago, I got yeast infection symptoms. I took a vaginal pH test to rule our BV (which I've never had anyway and I don't have a fish smell) so I was sure it was yeast. I'm going to take the 3rd dose of 3 day Monistat and I'm STILL not feeling much better. I'm starting to get worried cause I've never had a yeast infection that wasn't cured in 3 days or less.

It's so itchy and uncomfortable down there. I can't stand it. It even "throbs" when I sit down. I want to have sex with my boyfriend and I can't so that sucks too. Before I was in pain, like actual pain, but that's gone now.

I can't ask gyno cause a week ago I made an appt for my checkup and they are booked til late Sept, when I go in. It's also a new gyno cause my old one left so I don't even know this person yet.

I have a couple new things that happened that may have been contributed

-I was so exhausted for a couple days before the yeast that I passed out in my underwear to go to sleep. I never do that.

-shortly ago, I got food poisoning. Missed some of my BC pills. Had to double them up for a while to catch up after all the vomiting. My already cystic ovaries are screaming. I am not pregnant but my hormones are screwed right now.

I am not used to me having vagina problems and it has me worried and very uncomfortable. Mom says I may need more Monistat. I've never needed more on top of what I already did. Has anyone else experienced this?

Btw this is not a STD.

Yeah I just threw up a lot for a day or two but it made me unable to take pills for a while. I think the several times of doubling up on BC really did me in. I even broke out for one day and then the next day my face was clear. Screwy stuff going on.

I hate yogurt but I've been trying to get one cup a day, at least. It's hard.

Is there anything else I can do? I want this to be done with.

I would take fluconazole (Diflucan), an oral antifungal. Ask your GP for it. This is more potent than Monistat and gets any fungal overgrowth that may be perpetuating the infection. Sometimes, you can have it in your digestive tract when that's out of balance, and it'll reinfect your vagina. So in addition to the probiotics, as abitbroken mentioned (you should take it as a powder, capsule, or liquid supplement, it's got more active live cultures than yogurt and you don't like yogurt [and not all yogurt has active live cultures, either!]), I'd take the oral antifungal. Monistat also can irritate you after a while because there are a lot of chemicals in the cream.

They say one pill is enough. One pill stays in your system for about 3 days (though it's being broken down during that time, with its half life). I have problems with my immune system, so that's not been enough for me (and I know women who 1 day has not been enough for, either), but for you, 1 might do the trick (150 or 200 mg.) You can repeat it if need be (yeast don't get resistant the way bacteria do.)

But yeast infections can be quite stubborn, so you're certainly not alone there. I wouldn't worry.

ToV,

I'll look into the oral antifungal. I'd be happy taking capsules of the probiotics rather than eating them in yogurt. Thanks for the advice.

Yeast really is very stubborn. I guess a part of me worries because I haven't had an infection last this long and I worry that it's something else... Even though it's probably not. I got yeast infections VERY frequently as a kid but it was never more than 2 days. Now I usually won't see more than one per 1-1.5 years.

I like the JarrowDophilus supplement I get at the health food store, because you don't have to refrigerate it like some brands. It's an easy capsule which is good quality (Jarrow is a good brand.) There are many other good brands, of course.

I also have experienced what OG is talking about. BV (like yeast) infections don't HAVE to have classic symptoms. So, self-diagnosis is tricky with these. Microscopy is a lot more reliable.

But it won't hurt you to take the oral antifungal, and then see where you're at.

ETA: (just curious: how did you treat the yeast infections as a kid?)

Yeesh. I remember having a kidney infection and had to take two weeks of some pretty heavy antibiotics and got recurrent thrush because of it, wouldn't go away. freaked me out because i was paranoid about having an STD even though it was extremely unlikely and got ruled out by tests. it's really not nice getting a problem with your lady parts

what was the miracle that fixed it? pro- biotics. brought my body back into a semblence of its normal equillibrium. so go to a health food store in the refridgerated section. not all pro- biotics are made equal though. i used a brand called rheuteri plus. you may not have it where you are but just ask the store person whats popular.

i was so glad after i realized it had fixed the problem because by that point i was so fed up with it and just wanted to jump my bf's bones, lol.

There are other STDs you can get besides just yeast and bacterial infections, so you really need to get in to see a doctor. You can go to your regular GP rather than the gyno to get tested and determine the exact source of the problem.

Yeast infections can sometimes be stubborn, but you don't want to misdiagnose yourself in case it is something more serious like gonorrhea, syphilis, chlamydia, or herpes or staph or other more serious infection.

No gyno until late Sept, unfortunately. It's been set up already but I need relief before late Sept. I don't even know who the gyno is at the practice, and the only emergency number they have is if you're in active labour.

And I'm not about to go into the ER with this either cause that's so expensive. I have insurance but yeah...no way.

My relatives (doctors) seem to think that this is just a regular ol' yeast infection though, from what I've told them (and I told them everything).

I feel a LOT better today for some reason. I ate some yogurt, actually a lot of it, and I washed the outer lips with that gentle Vagisil soap I have. Oddly, it feels a lot better, but quite sore. I'm changing my underwear twice a day to make sure I'm nice and dry, wiping very, very well, checking with a mirror once a day, etc.

Monistat cream is done for now. I hope I don't need more but I may need to go buy some if I need it again. ToV, I treated, well my mom treated, my yeast infections during childhood with Monistat. It seemed to work very well but I had recurrent infections. Not sure why, it ended around the age of 11, thank goodness.

btw, yoghurt isn't as effective as a probiotic. it's better to get a jar. my doctor told me that i'd have to eat about ten little pottles of probiotic youghurt to get a similar amount of good bacteria as what is in a pill. it would just make me fat, lol.

You do not have to go to a gyno for this... most regular doctors do examinations and screens for this, so the gyno not being available is not a sufficient excuse.

I'm really surprised a family member who is a doctor would 'guess' what this is... most doctors will make no pronouncements without an examination, and if you are sexually active, there is always a chance it is an STD you've caught from your partner (regardless of whether you assume he is faithful or not), so it would be irresponsible for a doctor to assume it is a yeast infection without examining you or referring you to another doctor.

I know way too many women who discover their partner is cheating only by being given an STD.

Gyno is free? I'd shell out 80$ if it's that painful lol. doesn't everything cost anyway?

Gyno isn't free but most health departments are run by your income - if you have a low enough income (like I do) you pay nothing for your yearly exam or birth control. The state I live in now charges extra for yeast and BV testing whereas in my home state, that's included in the estimate of your income.

My income is low but I am on my parents' plan. It is hard for me to get to urgent care right now cause I work nights and sleep during the day. So I have to plan all my appointments.

I don't know...my relatives just guessed by what I told them. They know I cant see a gyno right now. They don't think I have a STD. I find it very unlikely myself but my boyfriend and I do not use condoms so anything is possible I guess. I did double check to make sure I'm not pregnant and that was a glaring negative. No ovulation anyway.

I did do another one of those vaginal pH tests which came back as normal, which I know is consistent with a yeast infection and not BV. The bread odor I had is largely gone...I never had fish odor. I'm largely back to normal now but my vulva is a tad itchy once or twice a day, not painful. I guess I'll just keep using some Monistat cream there. I have no discharge now. I keep looking for odor and red bumps or even redness but I find none.

Until I can see someone, this is the best I can do. I plan to refrain from sex until I have a week or so without symptoms. Poor guy but this is what I have to do.

I'll ask the gyno when I see her. Chances are it will be cleared up by then but I will tell her the symptoms and see what she thinks.

My main worry was if it was BV, not a STD but I have no qualms with checking. My boyfriend has been spending literally of all his time at my family's house (even while I sleep there) because we are preparing to move out and his alcoholic grandma is being stupid again. So if he's cheating he certainly has me fooled well, lol.

I'm just paranoid but since I work in a hospital, I freak that I got something from the bathroom. Even though I am good about only using staff bathrooms...that patients aren't able to enter.

Ugh.

You are not like I am, Fudgie. At the first sign of urinary or vaginal infection I get weak in the knees and nauseated just at the thought. Actually fainted a few years ago when I realized I had BV. It's a rare thing for me, but I had it one other time when I was young. I guess being doctors, your parents are more comfortable with these things, but man I just have to get right to the doctor the minute I have anything going on in that area.

I hope you find a solution better than waiting a month or more. I think of the billions of cooties dividing and multiplying and just sort of fade out. lol

I don't blame you for getting squeamish, Miss F, these infections are really unpleasant. I guess I am just used to yeast stuff because I suffered from those infections a lot as a kid. There is very little that makes my parents squeamish. That is sort of true for me too but not to their extent.

I would be upset too if I learned I had BV. I don't think I do cause of my symptoms and cause I responded to the Monistat..but still. Bad stuff. I've read that for many people, it can be recurrent. The idea of getting recurrent vaginal infections makes me VERY worried because that's a lot of pain, doctor's scripts, and abstinence.

I feel SO lucky. I think I have only ever had maybe one yeast infection in my life and nothing else. Never caught anything in a bathroom or anything. Never had BV or zip. I am pretty healthy in that regard. When I had the one case of yeast though I used the Acidophulus internally and orally and it was gone in one day.

Archived