Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you read one book at a time, or several simultaneously?

Do you read one book at a time, or several simultaneously?

I always used to read a book more or less from cover to cover, and then start another one. At the moment I'm reading four or five at the same time, which is something I started doing a year ago or so. I quite like it because it sometimes feel refreshing to swap between perspectives and stories. On the other hand, I wonder if I end up taking less with me because my reading becomes more scattered.

What do others tend to do? One book at the time, or multiple books in tandem?

It depends how much I am enjoying the book. If it's just okay then I read a couple at a time, just because I enjoy reading -- but there are books that just suck you in and you can't put it down until you finish it.
    I used to be like you, read it cover to cover regardless how good or bad it might have been, but for some reason that's changed, perhaps because it doesn't seem as bad when I'm going from one story to the other.

I read about three at a time. Anymore than that I start skimming, impatient to see how it turns out. I found that certain styles of writing appeal to me and I follow that thread no matter the genre as it were. Currently I'm reading a the autobiography of a racist Air Force General, switching the next day to a horror book about Satan on earth and then falling asleep with the lifestyle musings of an African detective. All very well written and I like my process. lol

I always used to read one book at a time, then I got my kindle & I find that I'm starting to read on that as well as a book. I tend to keep it that one is non fiction or I would get all muddled up with the plot & the characters.

One book at a time.

I read several at a time. Usually I have a mystery, a couple new age books, and an educational book on the go at once

It seems lately, always more than one going on at the same time. I think I used to retain more and finish more when I was reading one at a time.

One novel or some type of fiction at the time, but I will usually have several different nonfiction books going too since I do a lot of research and studying.

One book at a time or else I'll be Lost In Translation about the story.

Always one at a time otherwise it's too easy to lose track of where you are in the story and eventually lose interest in the novel altogether. I remember reading a Lee Child book and when I found a Stephen King novel I had been searching for for months, I started that and finished it rather quickly, I then went back to the Lee Child novel and I was lost - I had no idea what was going on and I lost interest, even after trying to read it from the start again.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice