Need help re: Get rid of my 5 year old cat who is peeing everywhere ... ?!?

Kalika

ENA

I am in desperate need of help .. I have two cats, one M one F .. they are around 5-6 years old .. the M one has, in the course of the last 2 weeks, destroyed both of my couches (in the same room) and the hardwood laminate flooring underneath one of them. He started peeing on the smaller loveseat but when we took it to the garage, he moved onto the couch that we actually sit on and started peeing on one part of it and it got into the back part of the couch where it dribbled onto the floor. He would literally pee on it while we were sitting on it right next to him.

I live with my 8 y/o son and my boyfriend .. boyfriend hates cats and wants to get rid of the one that's peeing everywhere. My son is telling me that I'm a bad cat owner if I get rid of them and that if I really loved him, I would not get rid of him. My son is very, very upset about the possibility of losing his cat (or both of them).

I took my peeing cat to the vet and they did a urine test and said he does not have a UTI but does have crystals in his bladder, he was put on an antibiotic which we started a few days ago. We also switched his food to a prescription food.. in any event, out of desperation I put a flea collar on him and sent him outside which he is doing OK with. I let him back in and two minutes later, watched him in horror as he let out a 40 second long pee stream into my couch and all over the floor. I seriously think he only meowed to come in so he could pee on my couch again.

So in the course of two weeks, he has literally destroyed about $1500 worth of my furniture and flooring. We had planned on replacing our couches but not until the cats were gone (dead) since we figured out that my cats would probably ruin them anyways. But today I went out and bought a nice set of couches to put in my living room. They are being delivered TOMORROW. Right now my cats are both locked up in the basement - the litter boxes are down there and we couldn't put my M cat in there without denying my other cat access to the litter boxes, so they are both down there with food and water and litter boxes.

I am afraid that my cat has already scented that area and that he will pee on my brand new couch if he comes back in ... I am absolutely NOT willing to let him do this, even if it means not letting him in the house ever again .. the vet said this is mostly a behavioral issue and not medical, we could try kitty prozac but it's not guaranteed to work and in the meantime, my brand new $1500+ couch could be destroyed very quickly.

My boyfriend wants me to get rid of my cats, he hates them already - well, he would be OK with keeping my F cat but not the M one that pees everywhere... My living room completely STINKS of cat pee now. I am seriously depressed over this and I have no idea what to do. Even as I am sitting here writing this I can smell the stench from my living room and I am a really clean person.. I worked so hard to save up $ for this house, and to put down the new laminate flooring, and now I just spent $1500 on furniture that my cat may ruin with one or two peeing sessions. This is seriously driving me CRAZY.

Am I a terrible person if I send my cat(s) back to a shelter or adoption?? I really don't want to get rid of my F cat that hasn't done anything wrong, but they have always been together, not sure what to do here, and I feel so unbelievably horrible and stupid for getting them in the first place.

Thanks for responding Journey .. nothing new in the household that would have triggered it, both are neutered/spayed.. again they are around 5-6.. I have their exact DOB but not with me at the moment, but they are around that age. Vet told me this is the #1 reason that cats, especially males, are taken to the shelter (this is where I adopted them from... )

This is tough situation, I won't deny you that.

His behaviour is obviously a result of neglect, bad or not amazing ownership, etc.

(Sorry to say this.)

Basically, you played a huge part in the faults of your cat, but most owners do the basic training & that's usually enough, you know?

In your case, you have a problem or "special" cat.

In a fair world, you'd handle this cat the way you would a child with a learning disability (or whatever).

This means extra time & money devoted to the animal.

You need to decide if you're prepared to do this.

It's OK if you're not, you know?

Surrendering the cat doesn't make you the best human being, but if you don't want a cat that pisses everywhere then you don't want a cat that pisses everywhere.

It also depends on the bond you have with this cat.

If my brother moved out & he was unable to take his cat, I'd surrender it.

I simply don't want that cat.

I wouldn't abandon her, but I don't want her & I'm not getting stuck with things I don't want.

That's what children are for & obviously I won't be having any of those until I get an attitude adjustment, lol.

However, I love my dog & I won't move into an apartment that doesn't allow dogs.

If you want to get rid of the cat, I'm giving you the validation you need.

You;'re already out a few sofas so if you can devote some time & money to this cat to see if the problem can be fixed with behaviour modification than try.

If not, it may be time to find a more suitable owner.

Good luck!

Update us.

Nothing has changed?

Um, your cat has bladder crystals! Didn't your vet tell you that frequent urination is very common with this?

It is possible this is so painful your cat isn't able to hold the urine long enough to make it to the box. Or perhaps he knows he if tries to hold it it will then be more painful later as many times crystals will become lodged in the tract and prevent urine from passing at all. He might also be in such pain he wants to be near you when it happens and the litter box is not on your lap.

Remember you might think the cat is urinating for longer than he is when they have crystals. This is because urinating is more difficult and they must arch their back as if they are urinating while nothing is coming out.

You also should be giving a cat with crystals more water and well more water means more urine.

Personally, I wouldn't give up my dogs because they had an illness that inconvenienced me or my husband but you need to do what is best for the cats and your son.

I hope everything works out for everyone involved and that kittie gets better.

Thanks for responding Journey .. nothing new in the household that would have triggered it, both are neutered/spayed.. again they are around 5-6.. I have their exact DOB but not with me at the moment, but they are around that age. Vet told me this is the #1 reason that cats, especially males, are taken to the shelter (this is where I adopted them from... )

I worked for a shelter, and a vet. This is the reason many cats end up there. Im sure he was doing it b4 you got him. Once a cat starts this, they dont stop. Now if a cat has a UTI....that is the first sign they usually have. But this guy was most probably not neutered early enough. He wont stop.

How long have you had the male cat for? I have a 5 month old male cat and I'm terrified of the same thing happening. He is getting desexed later on this week as my vet won't desex male cats until they are at least 5 months old. I hope this is early enough to stop him from doing the same thing.

This method is very effective! Buy a Spray Repellent (for about $8 – $10 per can). Simply spray the repellent around the area where you want to keep the cat from going to the bathroom. Most of the repellents say they’re for dogs, but they work great for cats, too. link removed is a great place to buy the repellent for cheap.

Specially formulated cleaning products, such as Nature's Miracle Just for Cats and Urine Off, are designed to target cat urine with enzymes that break down the crystals and remove the smell and the stains. Because cat urine is ammonia-based, using regular household cleaners -- many of which contain ammonia -- will not remove the stain or odor, and will in fact just encourage kitty to urinate in that same spot again. To the cat, the ammonia scent is reminiscent of his own urine! Thoroughly cleaning the affected area with the right products will get the stain and smell out, and the cat will not automatically return to that place to relieve himself.

I absolutely love cats ...I have 3 , a big lad and two kitties ...

I say that to back up what I am going to say in the hope that you know a fellow cat lover would also hate this to beyond distraction ....

I think this has got passed inconvenience for you ..when it is destroying your life this has now had its day ..you have done everything

I know to do and I don't know what else there is ...but to take him back to the shelter ..I also didnt know this is why a lot of toms get taken to shelters.

you have given this big lad a chance of a home and it hasn't worked out , you have done all you can ...don't beat yourself up over this ... what is better ....

him living in a basement because he is destroying your couch or him been given another chance at the cat home ....

can you tell your son that there are special people who are only allowed to take poorly cats and so he has to go and live

with one of those because they didnt realise he was poorly when you got him , they made a mistake so he has to go..or some

bs that will at least make him feel slightly ok ...

and he still has the queen .

you tried and I don't think anyone can ask any more of you ...

it stinks doesn't it ....look , you have to live as well !

good luck to the big lad xx

Your boyfriend is heartless to tell you to get rid of cats that were there before him, if that is so.

I think you should give your cat time to heal from the crystals. In fact, if you are willing, I would give them filtered water - if you can get a Brita or something because my dog developed them after moving to a different area with certain minerals in the water. I would really give your cat a few months, quite honestly. From the sounds of it, your cat has not done this from day one.

I strongly believe that the cat could be reacting to stress as well. Putting a cat outside with a flea collar when he is an indoor cat is stressful and doesn't solve the problem, and if your boyfriend is upset the cat is picking up on your stress and might be acting out or uneasy.

I also think that if your bf is telling you to get rid of them, what else is he going to put pressure on you to do? A couch is a couch - and not more valuable than the companionship and love my pets give.

Please don't dump your cat at a shelter. There are SOO many needing adoption and often they are euthanized for lack of space or because a home can't be found. I would follow through with the vet's advice, also talk to a behaviorist or someone at a nokill foster based cat rescue who can direct you to behavior tips, etc.

I think it's very possible that the crystals are what started the urination problem (it seems plausible, at least; I'm no vet, though!), but the problem with cats is that they continue peeing where they can smell their previous pee and where they usually go. Therefore, your cat has continued to pee on couches (because, as you said, the whole living room smells). I know others will disagree with me, but I don't think you would be a bad pet owner to re-home him. The way I see it is that he will likely be just fine going into a new home where he has no urination history and using the litter box fine once his crystals are better. The new family will love him as much as you have. However, if he stays with you, you will constantly be fighting this issue and will very likely come to resent him and dislike him. Just make sure you take him to a no-kill shelter or find him a home yourself so you know he is guaranteed to find a family.

The first thing I would have wondered, had the cat not had crystals, is if the boyfriend had done something to the cat? Something that might have physically or emotionally damaged it. And the crystals may only be part of it.

I agree with you to give the crystals time to work themselves out before even thinking of something else.

Sometimes I wonder what these "pets" must think they did to deserve to be treated as disposable.

I think she would be a bad pet owner if she returned him. Meaning I think she should know she shouldn't get another pet because any pet is going to cost money, destroy property and in general do something you don't find charming and sweet.

That doesn't mean giving the cat away isn't in the best interest of the cat. Like I said in my first post. She needs to do what is best for the cat and her child. Not what is best for her sofa and her boyfriend.

If she can't handle this then she needs to admit it and make sure she does the responsible thing, like you suggested, and see that the cat has a good life without her and then never get another pet again. But if she was fine with the cat before and this is the only issue she should try to at least see if she and the cat can work through it. She and cat deserve that chance.

A great product for getting rid of the scent of urine is Odoban.

By it at samsclub, Walmart, home depot, link removed, etc...

It is great for pet owners. Also for those with toddlers who miss the mark. Or people who work with the elderly....

I know pets are not always perfect. My cat puked on the carpet five times in two days, and I didn't consider giving her up at all. I got her better because it was a problem with an easy solution. This problem doesn't have an easy solution. So far the cat has racked up close to $3000 in damages (replacing the couches and wood floors). So, you spend the $3000 to get the smell out of the living room... and then there is a 50% chance the cat does it again. If he does, the cat has suddenly cost you $6000. That may not be a big deal if you are very well off, but for some people, that is a huge chunk of money. That is what my husband makes in three months. That is what I make in seven months. For people who struggle financially (or just aren't rich), it simply isn't practical to "give the cat a chance" any more than it's practical to go to Vegas and put $3000 on black. Many people would put an injured cat down if the treatment were $6000, and this isn't even doing that. It's re-homing the cat to someone who will be better able to afford the thousands of dollars this pet may cost.

Sorry I missed the ages in your first post.

I can understand your frustration. If you don't want to give up just yet, try using scents to deter your cat from going on your new furniture. I discovered that mine do not like the scent of lavender and so I put a few drops of lavender essential oil on spots I want them to leave alone. (One cat likes to jump on my desk and knock things off by rubbing on them. When there's lavender oil drops on the desk or on a tissue, she'll avoid the desk, or jump on and jump right off.) You could experiment to scent your new furniture with something you find pleasant but your cat doesn't like.

I also recommend adding more litter boxes to your house, at least temporally. (Have at least 2 if you have 2 cats.) I might take him to the litter box often as well, encouraging him to pee there often throughout the day. (When I had an elderly cat with bladder problems I had a litter box in every room. She ended up sleeping beside them.)

You could add more dishes of drinking water around the house as well to encourage your cat to drink, which might help the crystals. (Ask your vet it more water is recommended.)

Did you change brands of kitty litter? Maybe try unscented or a different textures.

Research diet and see if you can make some changes, even if temporary, to relieve his symptoms.

The OP knows how to use the Internet clearly. So there is little excuse nowadays to not having an owners manual or operating instructions or a virtual handholding....

Sorry if I sound harsh, well actually I am not sorry. Life is harsh. She learned it first hand via a urinating cat. Don't get a pet if you are not willing to put in the effort (google information at the very least) to be a good pet owner.

IMO she wants justification to give the cat away, not help in keeping it.

What has worked for me? I don't blame my problems on an animal. When my animals do something I don't like I learn why they are doing it and either correct the behaviour or learn to live with it. And the funny thing is it hasn't cost me oodles of money either. Maybe because I don't sit idly by waiting for some miracle. I do my own leg work from the get go.

She took the cat to the vet. She got a diagnosis. She gave the cat the needed medication. She is taking care of the cat via the vet's (and now our) advice. She has done everything right. Unfortunately, even when doing everything right, sometimes you can still run into continual problems. Cats like to urinate in the same place, especially when the smell is still there. Giving the pet all the medication and love in the world won't change that fact.

Journey has some great advice for if she wants to try to keep the cat. I would also add this-- make sure that the smell of cat urine is completely eradicated from the living room before you put the new couches in/let the cat into that area of the house again. I think getting several litter boxes is a great idea. Perhaps you could keep the male cat in the basement with a litter box for awhile and then slowly move that litter box to a different area in the house as you begin lettering him upstairs again? When my cat peed on the floor, I realized it was because she didn't remember where her litter box was (she was still a new cat) so I put the litter box next to her food. I hate having it out in the open, but I'm planning on moving it slowing once she is more adjusted to living here. Maybe you could also put a litter box near where she has been peeing. That way, if she wants to pee in the living room, she may go there instead of on the couch. The nice thing about cats is that typically want to go in the litter box just like we want them to go there.

Sorry but I have to agree with Pluckie here.

I would say this is a big indication that you are not ready to get that dog you were pondering.

Pet ownership should be a commitment to care for that pet to the best of your abilities until the day comes where their bad days outweigh the good. Not until a certain $ and hassle amount is reached.

And you are right with your sarcasm. Animals are not easy. That is what I was saying. They are work. Lots of it. They are a commitment. They require you to read, learn, change your life, lose sleep, spend money, worry, etc....

But then I find them completely worth it. They give me more back than I ever give them in return.

But not everyone has the funds..nobody knows the outcome...i had a friend who had his dog tear his acl 3 times...they couldnt afford all the medical treatment after the third time so a farmer guy they knew helped and took the dog so he would have a big field to run around in...does that make the original owners bad. bad people?

In no way am I being a whatever your hashmarks blocked out.

I a, being truthful.

I gave her help.

I didn't however cry with her about her poor couch and then give her the number for the local shelter.

Would that have made you feel better?

Help is not about only what you deem as help?

Sometimes advise comes in the form of tough love. Or hashmarks you don't want to hear but is actually helpful.

Archived