Ask For Advice
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should I break up with my boyfriend because of distance?

littlerain

Should I break up with my boyfriend because of distance?

My boyfriend and I have been going out for 5 months now. He lives roughly 50 miles away from me. I only get to see 1-2 times a week. It's hard because I miss him. I don't know if I should end things because I don't think we have any plans to move closer to one another anytime soon. I love him, but I always feel so uncertain about things. We are both in our early twenties. I don't want to break up and end up regretting my decision later on. He really loves me & treats me well, but I don't know why I feel this way. What should I do?

Coconut Twin
    Platinum Member
    Can't you both spend some nights at each others places?

I think LDR's can be testing. My little brother is in one now and he is finding it extremely hard. She lives in Sweden , him in London UK - I really see it ending, he says so himself.

MFloyd
    I would stay with him as long as he was treating you well and seeing you at least 1-2 times a week. 50 miles is nothing between lovers. If he can't meet you halfway, well...

RitaTrue
    Quote Originally Posted by MFloyd [Register to see the link]
    I would stay with him as long as he was treating you well and seeing you at least 1-2 times a week. 50 miles is nothing between lovers. If he can't meet you halfway, well...
    This^

I'd hold off on breaking up with him, as it seems a little trivial, especially when you're only an hour away. Have you talked to him about this?

Like Floyd said, try to meet each other half way. Stay over. What's your boyfriend said on this issue? What's he decided to do about it?

You said that you're unsure about moving closer together. Is that because he gave you no answer about it? You're only 5 months into the relationship. That's very young, to be honest. Focus on getting to know each other more. You may find out that he may not be the one for you later on. In which case it'd probably would be a counter-intuitive move to move where he is in the first place.

littlerain
    Quote Originally Posted by RitaTrue [Register to see the link]
    This^

I'd hold off on breaking up with him, as it seems a little trivial, especially when you're only an hour away. Have you talked to him about this?

Like Floyd said, try to meet each other half way. Stay over. What's your boyfriend said on this issue? What's he decided to do about it?

You said that you're unsure about moving closer together. Is that because he gave you no answer about it? You're only 5 months into the relationship. That's very young, to be honest. Focus on getting to know each other more. You may find out that he may not be the one for you later on. In which case it'd probably would be a counter-intuitive move to move where he is in the first place.
    I talked to him about this yesterday. He agreed that the distance thing is not very geographically convenient for us both & that he would like to meet each other half way as well. The thing is he's very supportive and good in every way, but I don't know why I still have these doubts when it comes to us. He always treats me very well & he really loves me. My family & friends really like him and he totally has their approval. I don't know what it is. I don't know if it's the whole distance thing or what....

happyfrank
    Can you guys compromise and meet somewhere in the middle?

maybe video chat using the computer when you can't see each other.

25 miles isn't that far..

LDRohnos
    50 Miles? I'm not going to make light of your situations but....50 Miles? One hour drive (or thereabouts) isn't that big of a deal...to me anyway. Then again I've been in 250 mile and 1000 mile long LDR's before.

What about the distance is concerning you? Other than perhaps not being able to see each other as often?

DylanNotorious
    Platinum Member
    Are you serious?? What's wrong with seeing him 1-2 times a week? Jeez.....it's not that big of a deal...........

BrandiBroken
    My boyfriend and I have been on and off for over 11 years. We didn't even see each other but once in the first almost ten years. We were basically at opposite ends of the state, then had a few states in between us, plus later he was halfway around the world with deployment. We finally started seeing each other more often in 2011 when I would fly out to see him.

Distance can be a pain, and only you can decide if it's too much to handle, but just looking at the surface I don't think it's enough to break up with someone. Not if you truly care about them and want to be with them. You're early on into the relationship, too. Plans to move for some people do not come up or seem like something they are ready to just jump into a do.

RitaTrue
    Quote Originally Posted by littlerain [Register to see the link]
    I talked to him about this yesterday. He agreed that the distance thing is not very geographically convenient for us both & that he would like to meet each other half way as well.
    He's told you that he's willing to meet you halfway. If you're uneasy staying over at his place, this is another fix to it. If you're still feeling uneasy about it, then the problem is not distance.

I don't know if it's the whole distance thing or what....
    Its not distance. You behoove it to yourself to find out what it really is, before you make a hasty decision.

-Rita

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Top Threads
So its been like 6 weeks since he left without a word
So if you remember my old thread i dated this guy for over 3 years and like 6 weeks ago (March 16th) he left our house and just left a letter. I've
Lost in pain.. the whole relationship a lie..
The facts.. cut all contact over a week ago after he tried to rekindle our relationship. As, it turned out days later, only friends with benefits but
Pregnant BPD ex
I had been with my girlfriend for a year. The first 5 months were heaven, with only two incidents that I should have recognized as abnormal. The
How to breakup with my depressed and borderline suicidal girlfriend?
So I am 20 years old, and I dated my girlfriend all throuought high school. We have been on and off multiple times throughout the years, but we
We broke up today... can't stop crying
I just can't stop crying. We broke up today. For the first time ever since we started this relationship... I know he still loves me and I still love
Cheater exposed.. is this a terrible idea?!
For background information on the terrible breakup I have found myself in
I'm supposedly the love of her life, she's suddenly dating someone else
Thank you to all who read this. I don't know if she's still waiting for me and only me, if I'm being played, or if she doesn't know how to properly

Featured Threads
He took my sisters virginity!
Well.. Here goes nothing. I don't have anyone to talk to and hoping to get some insight. My mind is confused and my heart is completely
Dating after working in the sex industry
Hey all, I'm coming out of a difficult time in my life where i worked as a sex worker. I just wanted some opinions on how to handle this when I begin
My boyfriend hangs out one on one with his ex am I right to feel uncomfortable?
Hi everyone, I posted here before about how my boyfriend and his ex are close friends. Long story short, they date for two years, realised they were
What does this mean?
I'm a 24 year old man and I've been in a relationship with my girlfriend for 5 years. But I'm feeling like this relationship is built on blind trust
Is this just "The 21st Century Woman?"
For the past 5 years, every woman I've dated (ages 25-32 we'll say) has had to stress to me immediately, before anything gets going, that they are
Venting I guess... I miss having sex.
So... I don't know if there is any real advice that can be given here. But I'm sure people here can at least relate and maybe share their
My boyfriend curses at me but says he's joking?
Hi everyone, My boyfriend and I have been dating for about 8 months and while everything has been great so far except that he curses at me but says
Ask For Advice