Ask For Advice
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How long until you become a "couple"?

Natasha24
    Platinum Member

How long until you become a "couple"?

(This is my first "dating relationship" since my 7 year LTR, sorry if this is a stupid question!)

How long should you be dating someone before you become a couple/boyfriend/girlfriend?

I've been seeing this guy for about 2 months, 5 or 6 big dates/sleepovers (once every two weeks), we get along great in almost every way. He said he likes to take things slow before making it official, which is fine by me. He always talks about how we would make a great couple, he could see us being together for a long time, etc etc. I've made it clear that I want to be official with him, so it's not like he fears rejection at this point.

I'm just wondering what is the norm here? I know people will say it's different for each person, but I want to know at what point I'm being strung along.

pinkelephant
    Honestly, after like a month, if a guy doesn't at least bring up exclusivity, I'd back off. And if I had a sleep over, the gf speech should come within a week or two. I've never had anything different. I'd def be thrown off... BUT everyone is different. If he's into you and you know it, don't sweat a couple of words.

RedDress
    Platinum Member
    Well... these days, there seems to be a difference between exclusivity and being a couple.

Personally? I always ask for exclusivity before any sleepovers. I don't want my guy having sex with multiple people while I am having sex with him. I just don't think it's healthy... Unfortunately, if you don't specify that you want to be exclusive, you are more than likely not and there is a high probability that he is sleeping with others. And then... why should he make it exclusive?

Following the exclusivity and sex, there is less urgency to make it to "couple"-dom. If he wants to take 3 or even 6 months to introduce me to people and start having bf/gf expectations, I am a-ok with that.

I guess... what are you hoping to achieve with that label? What does that label mean to you?

If he currently, technically sleep with other people and he's not making moves to tie it down? You are in strange territory for me... I've tried it (once)... and it didn't work. It ended up being a FWB relationship.

diamond78
    For me, it can be anywhere from 2-4 months. Anything after 4 months would make me think the guy isn't really serious about me and still keeping his options open.

I've never let a dating situation linger that long though.

Hoagy
    I would say 2 months is long enough to know whether you want to give it a shot and be a couple or move on with other people.

Natasha24
    Platinum Member
    Just to be clear, we do sexual things but we're not having sex. I told him we won't have sex until we're "official". I know it's a pretty thin line since we're already doing other things, but oh well.

We agreed not to fool around with other people (but I know he could be).

Batya33
    Platinum Member
    My general sense was about two months (or less). My husband and I were official right away since we got back together - the first time around that we dated it was less than 2 months, probably closer to a month. But we waited 5 months before the "real" sleepover

RedDress
    Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Natasha24 [Register to see the link]
    Just to be clear, we do sexual things but we're not having sex. I told him we won't have sex until we're "official". I know it's a pretty thin line since we're already doing other things, but oh well.

We agreed not to fool around with other people (but I know he could be).
    Oh ok. Well... at one point you/he are going to want to "break the seal". LOL!

I think this situation is going to take care of itself as the desire for sex becomes unbearable...

I wouldn't sweat it too much... one of you will break soon and it will become clear if he's still trying to decide or just dilly-dallying...

9. 06-03-2012, 06:12 PM

Miss Firecracker
    Platinum Member Miss Firecracker's Avatar
    For me, exclusive before sleeping together. Definitely!

-Sanguine-
    For me, it's always been within at least a month. I think for most people that's very soon, but it has always felt right for me. With my ex, it was 4 weeks, , and with my current boyfriend, we waited two weeks to become official. I guess for me it is the fact that I would never date more than one person at once so I don't see what the point in waiting is. With all the men who I've been exclusive with I have always felt a very strong connection and knew it could be a great relationship and they've felt the same. I don't like the whole "what are we" way of thinking and I don't see the harm in putting a label on it so you're not questioning it. I always wonder why people do all the actions of being in a relationship but don't call the other person their boyfriend or girlfriend. It boggles my mind. Plus, I would not sleep with someone unless we are in an exclusive relationship.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Top Threads
How does this happen?
There is a woman in my life, a co-worker. We’re friends, but not that close. This woman is amazing. Beautiful, kind, artistic, intelligent. We grew
Have you ever ghosted someone and why?
Just curious what people's reasons are for ghosting.
Is he playing me?
I posted earlier about him. He works in the same building. He joined few weeks ago. Asked me a few times to go for a drink and I finally agreed. We
What's the most frustrating part of dating for you?
Hey guys, I'm curious what for you is the most frustrating part of dating or the part that you have the most problems with? Also from a girl's
Feeling A Bit Shallow Today. :(
Guys, you've been helping me a lot lately so here's one more, if you can. Last night I went to a single's event in my city, and got chatting with
Her wandering eye
I'm a 26 year old guy. My girlfriend and I have been together for about 8 months now. There have been ups and downs but it has been mostly good. One
How do we get through this?
My boyfriend and I have been dating for almost four years. He has been incredible and stepped up to the plate with my nine year old daughter. We also

Expert Advice
Featured Threads
My (ex?) girlfriend has anorexia and it probably destroyed our relationship - what to do?
Hello. I would like to tell my story. I am a 22 year-old male dating an 18 year-old female, though we have probably broken up today. This is
Question about how I should handle the finances in my marriage
I recently married my bf of 5 years and we are expecting a baby early next year. Since then I've found out some rather disturbing things about his
married now found out she cheated while we were dating Im so confused help
We have been married 2 years and dated a long time before we were married (16yrs) 5 years into our relationship my wife , then gf went on a cruise
Wanting To Be With Loved One In After-Life
Has anyone who has ever lost a loved one with whom they were extremely close and loved dearly ever thought about taking his/her own life so as to be
Does everyone have some positive qualities?
Since the day I had been dumped (got dumped in April and after all the failed efforts to reconcile, accepted his decision in mid July). I feel I am a
I it wrong to date my sister's ex boyfriend?
My sister was dating a guy for two month, and me and her bf start being friends until they broke up.....i have feelings for him and he also loves me
She left me because she thinks I'm dumb
I have been in relationship with this girl and moved to her country 3 months ago and lately things are going pretty bad and she is seeking for a
Ask For Advice