Ask For Advice
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How long until you become a "couple"?

Natasha24
    Platinum Member
    Sorry to dig up an old thread like this, but I have another question.

It's getting close to 3 months with this guy, and nothing's happened. We talked about being official again the other day, and he said "There's something that's making me want to wait to be official. I don't know what it is, but something's telling me not to do it yet". I have no idea what to make of this.

I know he likes me, I don't think he's using me or "stringing me along" while he dates other people. But I'm getting tired of waiting, 3 months feels like a long time with no commitment. I have met his friends and his family, we have spent full weekends together so we know we get along well - what's left to wait for?

Is this excuse of "Something's telling me to wait" a red flag for anyone? I don't know what to think at this point. I'm starting to feel like a fool for hanging around so loyally.

pinkelephant
    I think you should date others and take your time. Give him as much commitment as he gives you. If he cares about you and wants you to be his gf, that should give the push he needs. If not, you're now seeing other quality men who would be happy to be in his place.

Madison12
    Bronze Member
    Pink elephant is right. I would start getting busy with your own life rather than wondering where you stand with this guy. Right now he's in a position of power because he is withholding something that he knows you want. Table that "what are we" conversation. This one ain't ready to have it.

I would knock him off balance a bit. Start dating others. Remain receptive to him, and happy when you hear from him, but give him plenty of space so that he doesn't fear being trapped in a cage. Then - he'll set off to trap you in his.

Natasha24
    Platinum Member
    Thanks for the replies. I actually tried this when I talked to him about this a month ago, and it didn't turn out well. He thought I was "threatening" him when I suggested we take a step back and continue dating others. I worry if I say that again, he'll feel like I'm playing games.

I don't want to play games, I don't want to "threaten" him, I just don't want to be wasting my time.

Madison12
    Bronze Member
    Well in a way that's his keeping you under his thumb while he "figures everything out". Which really isn't fair to you is it? Exclusivity without commitment really ins't fair to women, because while you can't date others you're not getting what you want from the one you ARE dating exclusively. Psh - whatever.

You're not threatening him if you follow up your talk with action. You're just living your life and putting yourself first. Which is an attractive quality to ANY man. Up and until you are a in a committed relationship, you are a free agent, sister, and don't let any dude guilt you into feeling otherwise.

pinkelephant
    I agree with Madi. You should follow your words with actions. That's rude of him to say, because if he isn't up to be a bf, you should be allowed to consider other options.

blueidealist24
    Platinum Member
    That IS a red flag, especially when he won't tell you what the "something" is. I don't think it sounds like he's screwing around behind your back, but it sounds more like he's a commitment-phobe. Are you still not having sex? Just wondering, I actually agree with not having sex until he agrees to be exclusive with you.

Natasha24
    Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by blueidealist24 [Register to see the link]
    That IS a red flag, especially when he won't tell you what the "something" is. I don't think it sounds like he's screwing around behind your back, but it sounds more like he's a commitment-phobe. Are you still not having sex? Just wondering, I actually agree with not having sex until he agrees to be exclusive with you.
    I made a joke the other day about him being a commitment-phone, but he said he isn't. All his previous relationships were 1-3 years, so I don't think he's afraid of commitment. I just don't get why he's holding off.
    We're still not having sex. It's really difficult to be honest, but I feel like this is the only thing that's going to make him want to be official - because in all other ways, we already are.

Batya33
    Platinum Member
    If you think that he needs to be refused sex in order to be motivated to be with you in a serious relationship I hope you have a really strong stomach and high level of confidence once you decide to have sex with him - because won't you worry what will motivate him to stay official once you have sex with him?
    I don't think he's necessarily a commitmentphobe -he may simply want to keep his options open in case someone else turns his head so that if that happens he can act on it and remind you that it's not actually cheating. I would avoid making excuses to yourself about "official" just being a "title". I don't think you feel that way (I sure don't) and that also might send confusing messages to him as in "what's the big deal, it's just a title" which can go both ways.
    And definitely consider other options if he's not willing to be your boyfriend.

alwaysmoving
    Silver Member
    Eh, he sounds like a player.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Top Threads
How does this happen?
There is a woman in my life, a co-worker. We’re friends, but not that close. This woman is amazing. Beautiful, kind, artistic, intelligent. We grew
Is he playing me?
I posted earlier about him. He works in the same building. He joined few weeks ago. Asked me a few times to go for a drink and I finally agreed. We
What's the most frustrating part of dating for you?
Hey guys, I'm curious what for you is the most frustrating part of dating or the part that you have the most problems with? Also from a girl's
Feeling A Bit Shallow Today. :(
Guys, you've been helping me a lot lately so here's one more, if you can. Last night I went to a single's event in my city, and got chatting with
How do we get through this?
My boyfriend and I have been dating for almost four years. He has been incredible and stepped up to the plate with my nine year old daughter. We also
Her wandering eye
I'm a 26 year old guy. My girlfriend and I have been together for about 8 months now. There have been ups and downs but it has been mostly good. One
Girl said, "I don't know what I want."... Is this rejection?
Backstory: Been casually dating for six months now and have yet to find a woman who I honestly felt I could form a relationship with. I met a young

Expert Advice
Featured Threads
My (ex?) girlfriend has anorexia and it probably destroyed our relationship - what to do?
Hello. I would like to tell my story. I am a 22 year-old male dating an 18 year-old female, though we have probably broken up today. This is
Question about how I should handle the finances in my marriage
I recently married my bf of 5 years and we are expecting a baby early next year. Since then I've found out some rather disturbing things about his
married now found out she cheated while we were dating Im so confused help
We have been married 2 years and dated a long time before we were married (16yrs) 5 years into our relationship my wife , then gf went on a cruise
Wanting To Be With Loved One In After-Life
Has anyone who has ever lost a loved one with whom they were extremely close and loved dearly ever thought about taking his/her own life so as to be
Does everyone have some positive qualities?
Since the day I had been dumped (got dumped in April and after all the failed efforts to reconcile, accepted his decision in mid July). I feel I am a
I it wrong to date my sister's ex boyfriend?
My sister was dating a guy for two month, and me and her bf start being friends until they broke up.....i have feelings for him and he also loves me
She left me because she thinks I'm dumb
I have been in relationship with this girl and moved to her country 3 months ago and lately things are going pretty bad and she is seeking for a
Ask For Advice