Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: ping pong show.....on our honeymoon

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared
    I would remind him this is not a trip with the guys but a HONEYMOON. Ewwwww gross. I agree with the others. Just tell him it is disgusting and how you feel about it.

The fact that you didnt kill him with just your look when he first suggested it, baffles me!
    If I told this story to my BF, he would not believe there are so tolerant woman out there!

It's your honeymoon and in case you don't feel okay going to those places (which is completely understandable), say so!
    Tell him to stop joking and start planning the MOST ROMANTIC HOLIDAY you will ever have instead!

I mean.. unless you are in some open marriage, I really dont understand why on your honeymoon you two would go and look some prostitute vaginas???!!!!

Platinum Member
    Ok. I'm going to be in the minority. You got a highly emotional response there, IMO.

My impression from the OP is not that the husband wants to visit prostitutes but rather that he wants to walk through the city of Patong - just because it's close by and because it is notorious (unfortunately for bad things). I haven't been to Thailand but I've been to Holland and yes, we walked through the red light district. Not to partake of their services but to see first hand what it is. I don't think this is different.

For the show... (I don't know what that is but I'm guessing)... similarly, in Holland, we went to a live sex show. One lady stood on stage and smoked a cigar out of her hooha. I presume this is the same concept.

I dunno. Do you really think your honeymoon is going to be romantic 24/7? Yeah. I think that's unrealistic. Forget Thailand for a second... if you went elsewhere, yes, I would think you would want to see the city, go to a restaurant or two, see a few shows.

Personally, for me, the compromise would be to walk through the city (not partake in their services) and not see a show.

I don't think (if the ask is what I described and not to partake) that your husband is perverse and controlling and unloving. I think he's merely curious what all the fuss is about.

But... that's just me...

I've never been to a ping pong show but I do know people who have. From the stories I've heard they are pretty horrific and would be a major turn off!
    Maybe you should let him know that ping pong shows and go-go bars will result in one very freaked out wife and no honeymoon action.
    Seriously it freaks me out just thinking about it.

No, honeymoons are not going to be romantic 24/7..but there is no place for visiting the sex industry just because Thailand is known for that. Columbia is known for being a haven for drug trafficking but does anybody go to the "in places" for that simply to see what all the fuss is about? The sex industry is the seedy side of Thailand. I doubt very much if major tour companies like Globus, Trafalger and Cosmos include that on their itinerary as "must sees" or recommended optional excursions.

Philadelphia, PA - moving to California soon! :)
    I know you can't 100% believe everything on Wikipedia, but show your husband these statements:

Women and girls who perform in the ping pong shows have, in some cases, been seriously and irreparably injured.[1]
    Performers in ping pong shows are often trafficked from countries such as Myanmar, Cambodia and Laos.[1] Human rights organizations (such as Not For Sale Campaign) denounce ping pong shows as inherently misogynistic.... Thai women who work in"ping pong shows" often worked in factories before being laid off during the economic downturn.
    Most women working at ping pong shows are prostitutes.[1] Tourists who support ping pong shows and other forms of sex tourism in Thailand may inadvertently contribute to human trafficking and child prostitution
    Even if the Wikipedia article is biased or misleading, we all have a general idea of sex tourism and what goes on in these countries sometimes. Sure maybe it's interesting, or he wants to walk through the area for the morbid curiosity aspect. But don't forget that long after you guys go for a stroll through the sex district or to a show and say "Wow, how weird/creepy/funny!..." these women are still stuck in those situations day after day being exploited. I don't doubt there are women in Thailand who voluntarily sell themselves or perform in such shows, but I would guess they are in the minority and most feel pressured either directly by people or economically.

I really don't mean to be a wet blanket, but any man who knows this and still wants to be near such things would be no husband of mine. I would speak to him about that side of things because it really is shady business and I can't imagine how on Earth something so degrading can be entertaining to anybody. I'm not usually one of those people who consider any sex act "degrading" but in this case...you have no idea if the woman chose to do it or was forced, you don't know what other activities your money is supporting, I'm assuming it's highly unregulated (age anyone??)...just don't go there.

Sure, no honeymoon will be romantic 24/7, but there's unromantic and then there's visiting exploited sex workers in developing countries...big difference in my mind.

That's my long spiel anyway!
    Last edited by PhilliesFan001; 05-18-2012 at 10:25 AM.

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by Crazyaboutdogs
    No, honeymoons are not going to be romantic 24/7..but there is no place for visiting the sex industry just because Thailand is known for that. Columbia is known for being a haven for drug trafficking but does anybody go to the "in places" for that simply to see what all the fuss is about?
    No... because visiting a bar with drug dealers in Columbia will get you killed. Walking through this particular city in Thailand won't.

Originally Posted by Crazyaboutdogs
    The sex industry is the seedy side of Thailand. I doubt very much if major tour companies like Globus, Trafalger and Cosmos include that on their itinerary as "must sees" or recommended optional excursions.
    No doubt! But... personally, I've been to a lot of places that tour companies won't go. I'm not a fan of tour companies, personally. They give you the "Disneyland" version of a country. That's not really what I want to see when I travel. I want to see the REAL picture - the good, bad AND ugly. This way I can form informed opinions of the place on my own - not just based off what other people say. Obviously, this style of travel isn't for everyone.

In no way, shape or form am I saying that what's going on there is OK. Nor would I want to give them money. But to walk through? Me? I don't see anything wrong with that. Heck! Maybe it will kick-start you into becoming an activist. Or not. But me? I'd want to see for myself.

To each their own... but to say that she shouldn't go through with their marriage because he's a pervert for even suggesting it is WAAAAAY over the top, in my opinion. If you don't like it, don't go! Simple as that. Just tell him in no uncertain terms that you are not willing to go there. At the end of the day, I guess it is a compatibility issue in terms of travel ideas and such.

Philadelphia, PA - moving to California soon! :)
    I wouldn't have a big issue with someone wanting to just walk through the area to see for themselves...although I still don't get the appeal, seems kind of cruel in a "stopping and staring at a car crash" sort of way. But I wouldn't fight over it.

However wanting to actively give money to these people at a pong show (his idea) is too much and it could potentially contribute to the suffering of other people. I would be seriously put off by somebody suggesting that.

Platinum Member
    WHat the heck? I didn't even know what a ping pong show was... googled it, and all I can think of is... WHY?? and on a honeymoon?? What the heck?? Some messed up stuff right there...

Before I was going to post here thinking it was about a table tennis tournament that he is interested in or something lol.... wow..

kind of cruel in a "stopping and staring at a car crash" sort of way.
    Exactly. It is idle curiosity and to be able to say to everyone back home "wow, I was there!" and then have everyone around the water cooler say in awe "wow, you were there! what was it like eeeewwww gross...but tell me more, I want to know it all". If the visit is not to partake in it, it is for the shock value of being able to yammer on to all the friends that they were there and saw it all. I doubt very much if this will turn into an advocacy and women's rights excursion.

Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice