Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Non-fiction or fiction? Which genre do you prefer?

Mostly fiction but I like a few non-fiction books as well auto-bios of people I find interesting. I prefer the escapism of fiction.

I mostly read fiction, but I love good non-fiction as well. It's just harder for me to find something I consider good and engrossing in non-fiction.

I hated fiction until I discovered short stories and the young adult subgenre. I also really enjoy non-fiction particularly memoirs and psychology/social sciences.

I go through spurts. Right now I'm into historical fiction (Ken Follett is my favorite author ever and I've recently picked him back up) and books from my childhood/teen fiction (strictly for nostalgia). I also have a large collection of what I call crappy romance novels, but more specifically Harlequin Special Edition books. I'm on a break from those though but have read over 100 in the last 5 or 6 years. Mostly I like fiction but I also love memoirs so I do enjoy nonfiction from time to time.

Exclusively non-fiction.

I strongly prefer science fiction and fantasy. Being heavily involved in these communities where I got to meet authors and the fans made me realize that people belonging in them are one of the most creative and intelligent people I have met. Many of which who are not afraid to stand to their future and do something about it. They make the world a less dull place just by providing their insight. These communities have people who are both dreamers and realists who seek innovation. They are able to simply reflect the future strategically, our current progress in society and even demonstrate human capabilities. The science fiction and fantasy communities have helped me gain a in-depth perspective on humanity as well as a sense of enjoyment to learn about ourselves than what a non-fiction or fiction text can ever provide.

I also favor young adult series and do not believe they are kids novels. Harry Potter wasn't just marketed for children, and neither was Lord of the Rings or Enders Game. To quote Cassandra Clare:
    To my mind, YA is a subset of adult fiction, not of children’s fiction, and should be considered as having an entry reading age rather than an age *range*. The entry level is probably 13 or 14, but there is no upper level because the books are also for adults. Saying YA is 13-21, or 13-18 or whatever misses the point, because it suggests that the books are not for older adults, whereas I would say that in fact the core audience of people reading YA (and YA SFF in particular) are in fact 16-35.

The only time I will read a non-fiction or fiction novel is of they provide me a window to a different culture. One of the books I plan to read over the summer is a recent book published by Malala, a girl who comes from a nation where women are treated worse than second-class citizens and bravely stood up against the Taliban for the sake of receiving an education to empower her future. I have high respect for authors who are able to get and move forward while emphasizing the importance to readers that the future should always be a consideration and your own actions and capabilities determine its outcomes.
    Last edited by Snny; 05-24-2014 at 10:51 AM.

Either but until my current book, I had been on a big non-fiction kick. I probably slightly prefer non-fiction, just because I think the quote, "Truth is stranger than fiction" often applies. In non-fiction I gravitate to war and true crime because I'm a big time strategy geek and I like seeing how battles are planned and heinous criminals are caught.

But currently I'm reading Tom Clancy's 1998 fiction techno-thriller Rainbow Six. (For those who don't know, it's about a NATO multi-national counter-terrorism team that responds to terrorist attacks and hostage situations by sneaking in and laying waste to the terrorists.) I needed the escapism after reading some really non-fiction war books.

I like both! I find that I read a bit more fiction though, because I too enjoy the escapism.

Anyone read "Devil in the White City"? Good combo of fiction and non-fiction there.

Both, but I don't really look for escapism from fiction. Most of the fiction I read is usually rather bleak and pessimistic. I just see it as a more abstract or symbolic way of examining and commenting on human nature and society that non-fiction would do in a more literal approach.

I definitely prefer fiction over non fiction.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice