$0.3 per word...worth it?

I’ve been hunting for freelance writing opportunities to continue to build my portfolio. I found this one company that has websites focusing on medical tourism, but they will only pay $0.3 per word. It seems like a scam to me. Is 3 cents WAY too low? I got paid more than that as a student reporter and as an intern. My fiance thinks I shouldn’t bother with these guys, but part of me feels like it’s more experience and that’s never a bad thing... What do you think?

I’ve been hunting for freelance writing opportunities to continue to build my portfolio. I found this one company that has websites focusing on medical tourism, but they will only pay $0.3 per word. It seems like a scam to me. Is 3 cents WAY too low? I got paid more than that as a student reporter and as an intern. My fiance thinks I shouldn’t bother with these guys, but part of me feels like it’s more experience and that’s never a bad thing... What do you think?

I've done freelance writing, and I DEFINITELY know what you mean. 3 cents per word is VERY low. I'd suggest googling more websites that have higher direct pays. They do exist

As far as that amount being worth it, it depends on why you're writing.

-Are you writing for experience alone?

-Are you writing for an income? If so, would the amount of writing needed for that income, seem possible in addition to your primary work and household obligations? (Also, if it's too much for you to handle, how much would it cost for you to delegate the writing to someone else, and how much would you profit from it after giving the second writer their share?)

I believe that experience is good, if that's what you need. However, you also need to gauge: "is the experience worth the amount of time that you'll need to SPEND on the writing, in order to get the money you need?"

That answer alone is yours.

If you need the money badly then do it, but also calculate how long it will take you to write these articles. If it's going to take hours and hours to write one article then perhaps it's not enough - however, keep in mind, you're just graduating, it takes time to get ahead and if it will give you experience, why not do it? Many people that write online articles also get about $10-15 an article, some do it because they enjoy it, others make it a side job and some just need the money so even a bit can help, if they write 3-4 articles a day.

Completely irrelevant Generation. Late night posts from me aren’t going to be precise. To those who replied, thank you! I’m going to let this one go and keep looking because they gave me a time limit of 48 hours, and between job hunting (for something that I can actually live on) and studying for finals, it’s not worth it to me.

Archived