Boyfriend's HIGH Blood Pressure!!!!!!!!!!!

My boyfriend used a blood pressure monitor at a pharmacy to take his blood pressure. He had mentioned before he had high blood pressure. And I don't know the numbers, but I know the test came out as pre-something, which was bad. Help! How do you lower blood pressure and maintain it at a low level?! He smokes cigars, dips tobacco, and doesn't exercise (the closest exercise he has is his 8 hour work shifts), and he is stressed about his crappy job (people don't treat him right at his job, despite him doing hard work), and he doesn't diet. so I'm not sure if/how this factors in. Could this ALSO explain the fact that he is balding pretty harshly at the age of 24?

I'm guessing that it said "pre-hypertension" which means he is in the danger zone of hypertension ie. high blood pressure. All of those things you have listed are considered risk factors for high bp, but you really can't depend on a few readings, as your BP changes daily. He needs to see a doctor who will order blood tests and monitor his BP before a course of action can be decided. It might be simple diet changes or even medication, but only a doctor can make that decision.

I have high BP that is pregnancy induced, and even my BP spikes and goes back to semi-normal several times in a day, so like I said, it's hard to depend on one reading, let the doctor decide.

Blood pressure changes through out the day. You need more than one blood pressure reading to determine "high blood pressure". Doing so at the drug store is not a reliable method. You do not know if those machines have been calibrated properly. A dr would take a series of blood pressure readings at different times to determine if you have high blood pressure. The biggest factors in blood pressure are exercise, eating properly, getting enough sleep, reducing stress and of course there is genetics.Smoking is another big factor and so can drugs of any kind.

No, it has nothing to do with baldness.

As Victoria said you need a consistent set of readings before you can deem that someone is hypertensive or pre-hypertensive. However, considering the health risks you mentioned (smoking, lack of exercise, stress) it wouldn't surprise me if he's at risk. You should encourage him to explore it with his doctor.

A few suggestions :

1) Stop smoking.

2) Eat healthily : Cut out the red meat, fatty foods, processed / pre-packaged meals. Focus on vegetables and grains as main sources of carbs while leaning towards "leaner/lighter" meat such as chicken breast, fish and other alternatives like tofu, beans, legumes, almonds and walnuts.

3) Exercise regularly ( 1 hr a day, 5 times a week, mostly on cardio if he's overweight or obese, in combination with some weight training )

4) Go and see a doctor to get diagnosed properly and get to a medical cure asap.

5) Cut the alcohol / booze.

Main point : Lose weight, eat healthily, exercise regularly to lower blood pressure.

Most of those things he's doing will make it worse. Cut out tobacco, low sodium diet, exercise, miniumum amount of alcohol are the things he can do. If none of that works, medication will help. He should get it taken care of - it kills. Even if the reading wasn't reliable, he'll have it anyway with those habits. Buy a monitor to take it at home.

I agree that he should see a doctor.

I just wanted to add... It's pretty rare for a 24 year old to have legitimate high blood pressure. Not impossible. Just rare. Young bodies are pretty resiliant. Usually it takes years of abuse via non-exercise, smoking, bad eating habits, etc. for it to result in permanent high blood pressure (spikes are normal). If he's not extreme in his habits (ie: a hundred pounds or more overweight, smoking like a chimney, etc) - I really think it would have more to do with genetics and a pre-disposition to having high blood pressure. In that case, it's probably more about monitoring (and possibly medication) than tweaking habits. Although... that should be done too... but if he's pre-disposed, it may not be enough.

He should see a doctor for sure.

A few suggestions :

1) Stop smoking.

2) Eat healthily : Cut out the red meat, fatty foods, processed / pre-packaged meals. Focus on vegetables and grains as main sources of carbs while leaning towards "leaner/lighter" meat such as chicken breast, fish and other alternatives like tofu, beans, legumes, almonds and walnuts.

3) Exercise regularly ( 1 hr a day, 5 times a week, mostly on cardio if he's overweight or obese, in combination with some weight training )

4) Go and see a doctor to get diagnosed properly and get to a medical cure asap.

5) Cut the alcohol / booze.

Main point : Lose weight, eat healthily, exercise regularly to lower blood pressure.

I can tell you from personal experience and being a licensed physical therapist that what is posted above is pretty much right on the money. However, you should get your boyfriend to consult a physician ASAP. You can even go see an MD at a walk in clinic if they are available in your area.

My own personal experience was working 90-100 hrs a week, no exercise, terrible diet, lack of rest, and above all stress that could kill a horse. I had shortness of breath and I was waking up 4-5 times a night just to take a deep breath. I have finally gotten out of that position and have started taking care of me. I was so bad I could hear my pulse in my pillow. My BP was 170/110 and my pulse was always in the 90's when I woke in the morning. I was ready to pop. I wasn't terribly overweight. But since then I have lost 20 lbs, changed my diet, stopped drinking completely, and exercising at least 1 hour 5-6 days a week.

My BP is now 110/70 and my heart rate when I wake is less than 60. I also am up to running 4 miles every 4th day. When I started I couldn't even finish a mile. It was bad. I am also half way done with my P 90 X workouts. They are really tough, but they really work. I've never had results like this, this fast. I highly recommend them.

I also now sleep thru the night and have more energy than I have had in the last 4 years. I feel like a different person and I get complimented all the time from people who have seen me in a while. I feel great.

But honestly, see a doctor. They may see something that posters from a forum don't and aren't trained to answer questions about. It is money well spent. And change his habits. I wouldn't go cold turkey, because chances are they will be too harsh and they won't stick. Start with one, and then subtract another while adding a good habit like exercise or quitting drinking. Those two alone will yield great results.

Archived