Open Club  ·  29 members  ·  Free

Book Talk

Books For Men.

_Asti_

I am an avid reader but feel at loss when my father approached me looking for a good book to read. My taste in books are a little different [i do read 'whats hot' now type of books] but just feel they won't be of interest to him.

He's in his late 50s, doesn't have any real interests [but does enjoy crime/drama] He travels alot for work, and finds himself having alot of downtime since my Mother passed away.

I would like to pick him up a book before his next business trip, can anyone recommend anything?

I was thinking of maybe getting him starting on the James Patterson series, but I have not read them.

He's also open to Non Fiction. A co-worker recommended 3 Cups of Tea, and he was thinking of giving it a shot. I must also mention it should be a fairly simple read. [He gets confused in movies when there's alot of plots going on hahaha he even told me he needed something a little simple!]

• 4 months later...

Non fiction: Wiseguy by Pileggi(what Goodfellas was based on), Black Hawk Down by Mark Bowden, Black Hearts By Jim Frederick.

I'm currently reading The Road by Cormac McCarthy. It's about as simple as it comes, though the writing style is take it or leave it, and it's not for adrenaline junkies. I quite like it.

Also, a book called Matterhorn by Karl Marlantes. He was a young Lt. in Vietnam and wrote a fictional book on what he encountered, so it's realistic fiction. It's quite a large book, though.

• 1 month later...

Here are some books I completed;

Apache by Ed Macy. British Apache helicopter pilot in Afghanistan. Daring rescue he performs to recover a wounded British Royal Marine.

License to Pawn by Rick Harrison. Star of the show, PAWN STARS, his life and recollections of the Las Vegas pawn business. Informative and a success story on many levels. This man earned what he has.

In Harm's Way by Doug Stanton. The WWII sinking of USS INDIANAPOLIS. Tragic story of how 1000 men survived shark attacks and the political aftermath, less than half made it out. Makes you think - what would I have done?

Some more reads that I finished;

Wild Girl by Jim Fergus.

Fictional story based on a captured Apache girl in 1930's era Mexico. Young journalist takes the challenge to join a assembled posse of American Aristocrats bent on rescuing an Apache captured Mexican child. Romance, Renegade Apache life, vivid description of depression era America and Mexico.

1000 White Women by Jim Fergus.

Fictional story of American West and the Indian assimilation problem. Fergus explains in diary form US Govt project to trade 1000 women to the Plains tribe for horses. Women to be drawn from correctional and psychological facilities. Diary is from a girl that had child out of wedlock and placed in insane asylum for the good of society. Ending is romantic, tragic and somewhat assumed. US Govt fictional intentions of the project is sobering, at the least, provocative and decent coffee chat.

Archived