Open Club  ·  31 members  ·  Free

Book Talk

The Hunger Games

Tranquillo

Yeh I've seen Battle Royale and the concept is similar.

The Hunger Games, theres more character development...the characters are more easier to relate to etc

Where as battle royale was just more about the violence, blood and gore.

Ha ha ha, I believe the Hunger Game is a young adult novel.

Ha ha yeah that's how most Asian movies are when it comes to scary. LOL

• 2 weeks later...
I feel the Hunger Game took out the idea from an Asian movie's concept.

Battle Royale.

But it's more bloody than the Hunger Game.

I felt this too even though the author claims she never heard of it.

There is talk now about remaking an Americanized movie of Battle Royale, but it's too controversial. Battle Royale had a hard time being published in Japan though they aren't as strict with their censorship.

There have been many comparisons of other books/films to the Hunger Games, since it gained in popularity. I have heard comparisons to Twilight (simply because the lead character has two males interested in her), I have heard it compared to "The Running Man" and "Logan's Run" because of the premise of the games, and of course I have heard it compared to "Battle Royal" because of the concept of children killing each other.

These are all superficial comparisons at best. The Hunger Games is not like any of these films or novels so if you start reading them thinking you will get something like that, you are going to be disappointed. It is a YA novel first of all, so the bloodiness and shock-horror value of Battle Royal is going to be missing.

As for the film, if you were expecting to see as much blood and gore that is described in the books in the film, you were bound to be disappointed. The books (despite the fact that they are YA) are able to describe a level of violence that they just simply CAN'T replicate on film without falling out of a PG13 rating. If they had kept the level of violence accurate to what is described in the books, than the film would have to have a rating of R, and that would eliminate the bulk of their teenage fanbase.

The only way they could keep it PG13 was by dialing down the violence (which is also why they used the shaky cam effects to hide the bloodier aspects of battle). I am not disappointed in that development, because it was necessary and logical for the film to make it to theatres. Otherwise we would never have seen it.

• 2 weeks later...
There have been many comparisons of other books/films to the Hunger Games, since it gained in popularity. I have heard comparisons to Twilight (simply because the lead character has two males interested in her)

Twilight shouldn't even be compared to it. That series sucked so bad since it made female characters look weak and males abusive. That's the one thing I really liked about The Hunger games - there is NO subjected male or female "roles." Bella was portrayed as the "weaker" race with a controlling boyfriend... I hate that portrayal so much.

It is a YA novel first of all, so the bloodiness and shock-horror value of Battle Royal is going to be missing.

It might not be as gruesome as BR, but there were some shock values The Hunger Games; just no guns or being forced to kill each other in three days (instead of 2 weeks) like BR. Survival skills were the author's main focus. It gets even more violent in Catching Fire when the Districts rise up for a rebellion and I wonder how movie makers will pull it off.

• 2 weeks later...

I love, love, love The Hunger Games. Read the first book, then saw the movie twice, got through Catching Fire in a week and am now halfway through Mockingjay. I don't like when people say it's a "young adult" series - that makes it sound kiddy. It's for anyone, really IMO.

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished Mockingjay. I didn't feel nearly as excited about it as I did the first two books. While it didn't feel tacked on for the sake of making a trilogy (I enjoyed the last couple of events of the book), it just felt a little stale.

I love, love, love The Hunger Games. Read the first book, then saw the movie twice, got through Catching Fire in a week and am now halfway through Mockingjay. I don't like when people say it's a "young adult" series - that makes it sound kiddy. It's for anyone, really IMO.

you're right.

i actually had a discussion with an older guy today who read the books. he was so inspired talking about it...referencing our own world. in affluent parts of the world it feels like fantasy...but it is so close to reality for most of the planet. we got talking about food...and the backwards systems that the modern world has gradually implemented...all for the sake of convenience. he made reference to katniss's first meal when she arrives for the training period...and how she makes light of the fact that this one meal would've taken her a month to gather and prepare for.

if the rest of the world ate like many of us do...there would be nothing.

he also made some comments about the beef industry. apparently it's estimated that we could feed 8 billion people with what we feed the world's cow population. it's insanity.

the point is...it's inspired...and promotes discussion. perfect for any aged reader.

good point, seymore.

• 1 month later...

I love the Hunger Games and Catching Fire, but Mockingjay was such a let down for me. I won't go into detail as to not spoil it for anybody, but I really hated so many things about the end of the series.

The movie was about as good as I expected it to be. Jennifer Lawrence was WAY better as Katniss than I expected, so that was a nice surprise.

Archived