Anti-Rape/Sexual Assault Campaigns

lifeisaparadox

Hi,

I'm not sure if this is the appropriate section to post this, but I am targeting this to anyone - both women and men - with this question:

What Anti-rape/Sexual assault campaigns have you seen? Which ones do you find most effective?

I am a former rape victim and had 2 additional encounters with sexual assault. For one of my class projects, I want to do it on anti-rape/sexual assault campaigns and the topic of this since it's something I feel strongly about, especially with the personal experience, and would like the opinions of others as well.

I apologize if this brings up any trauma or if it seems insensitive of me, but it's just that I wouldn't go asking around my friends if they've ever been in my shoes and asking them this question...

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At the university of british columbia they have a campaign that sells underwear that says "Got Consent?" on it. I kind of like that.

Also several times of the year, they do the t-shirt thing where survivors paint a tshirt to display their feelings and they are all put up on display. I feel that is effective as well. Makes it more real, I guess. These are real people and you see the large number of t shirts representing real people.

I also am a survivor (NOT victim!) so maybe I pay more attention to this stuff.

I haven't seen any real advertising, other than stuff about men using their natural greater strength to help protect women and not abuse them.

I'm so sorry to hear that life, I can't even imagine something like that. I hate rapists with a passion. If I ever met someone who did that to a person I love... Oh man, shouldn't say it, but you probably have an idea.

Hmmm... Off hand, the only anti-rape campaign that I remember is the "No Means No"... I remember one of the posters had a bunch of messages like "maybe means no", "&*^% off means no"...(It had a lot, I remember some of my male classmates found it offensive)..

That's the only one I remember.

I remember seeing one first with a list of "tips for safety for women." Things like, "women - don't walk home late at night, don't accept drinks at bars," etc.....

And then another list, kind of similar, for men like, "Men - if you see a woman walking home late at night by herself, don't sexually assault her." or "Don't put drugs in a woman's drink!"

ie, shifting the responsibility from the woman to protect herself, to the men not to rape in the first place!!

What is effective? I don't know - I'm sure that there is some good info out there on that - what are the most effective campaigns.

I sort of like the "SL*T Walk" events although I'm not sure how influential they are yet as it's relatively new. They came about in Toronto because of comments a police officer made in which he suggested that in order to be safe and prevent rape, women should "stop dressing like sl*ts."

I think it's one of my favorites because it addresses the victim-blaming atmosphere that's out there at times. A woman is assaulted and some of the first questions people ask are "What was she wearing/drinking/was she flirting/etc" as if any of those things make her assault less traumatic, or somehow her fault. I think the topic of sexual assault makes people incredibly uncomfortable and it's human nature to try and find reason or justification for things, even such evil things - so maybe it makes it easier to explain away if the woman was dressed like a "s-word." But, that just vilifies the wrong person (and implies men cannot control their lust, which..I mean, come on!)

It's a perspective on rape that's really always boiled my blood and I'm glad people are starting to stand up and say enough is enough - it's time to stop blaming these women (and men) for the crimes of other people.

Hmmm... Off hand, the only anti-rape campaign that I remember is the "No Means No"... I remember one of the posters had a bunch of messages like "maybe means no", "&*^% off means no"...(It had a lot, I remember some of my male classmates found it offensive)..

That's the only one I remember.

I've seen those. I remember the picture of a woman's legs with her underwear down as one of their posters.

honestly? I don't see any anti-sexual assult/rape compaigns in person, I only see them on the news or in news articles. Not sure if it's the area i live or what. But as a sexual assualt survivor the ones that work best for me are the direct ones. The ones that some people think border on crude or way too 'sensational' - basically the ones that get the point accross that this does happen.

My mother actually believes this (that women who dress provacativly are asking for it). It disgusts me to say that but she does. We've actually almost come to verbal blows in the past over it.

Ugh, really? I know a few of my friends who feel the same way and it makes me so angry I can't speak to them about it. That attitude and the "Men can't be victims of rape" attitude are the two that get me going the most!

Ugh, really? I know a few of my friends who feel the same way and it makes me so angry I can't speak to them about it. That attitude and the "Men can't be victims of rape" attitude are the two that get me going the most!

yep. What makes it funny? I was molested by my mother's husband from the ages of 9-12. I've always wanted to ask her was I 'asking' for it at 9 years old...

yep. What makes it funny? I was molested by my mother's husband from the ages of 9-12. I've always wanted to ask her was I 'asking' for it at 9 years old...

with all due respect, your mom is messed up. she has her priorities completely out of whack - i cannot imagine ever thinking like that, or allowing a man to touch my child and walk away alive. is that man out of the picture now?

i'm sorry, rant over!

when someone goes in to report a burglary or mugging, they don't ask what he or she was wearing, nor is it relevant! the fact is that a crime was committed against you, and it does not mean that you were asking for it nor is it justified.

Good lord that's horrible. I was molested by a family member around that age and I remember him saying "I can't help it, you're just hot." Err......

Not to take over the thread but what has your mother said about your specific situation? Does she blame you? You don't have to answer of course if that's too personal.

with all due respect, your mom is messed up. she has her priorities completely out of whack - i cannot imagine ever thinking like that, or allowing a man to touch my child and walk away alive. is that man out of the picture now?

i'm sorry, rant over!

when someone goes in to report a burglary or mugging, they don't ask what he or she was wearing, nor is it relevant! the fact is that a crime was committed against you, and it does not mean that you were asking for it nor is it justified.

No, he's very much still in the picture. She actually married him a few years after I came forward with the information. Thankfully with his job I don't have to interact with him at all.

That's a wonderful example Annie with the mugging.

Not to take over the thread but what has your mother said about your specific situation? Does she blame you? You don't have to answer of course if that's too personal.

No problem answering. it's like the unspoken, buried family secret. She'll watch those chat shows like Muarry and there will be a woman's boyfriend on doing a lie dectator test for molesting her child and my mom's like 'he should hang' and I just kind of stare at her. If I ever say 'you know why I don't like him' she'll just kind of change the subject or say 'B....' I don't think she blames me. I think she's stuck her head in the sand and she knows it happened (I told details you could only know from being in that position) and just forgets it.

No problem answering. it's like the unspoken, buried family secret. She'll watch those chat shows like Muarry and there will be a woman's boyfriend on doing a lie dectator test for molesting her child and my mom's like 'he should hang' and I just kind of stare at her. If I ever say 'you know why I don't like him' she'll just kind of change the subject or say 'B....' I don't think she blames me. I think she's stuck her head in the sand and she knows it happened (I told details you could only know from being in that position) and just forgets it.

That must be really difficult. I think one of the most important things a survivor can get is validation and that seems to be lacking a little in your case. I'm really sorry that happened to you and I hope one day she pulls her head out the sand.

That must be really difficult. I think one of the most important things a survivor can get is validation and that seems to be lacking a little in your case. I'm really sorry that happened to you and I hope one day she pulls her head out the sand.

thank you Phillies. I hold onto the fact that one day she will know the truth, even if that means she won't find out until after she's passed into whatever after life she belives in.

@OptimisticGirl & @PhilliesFan001: Situation like your guys' are mainly the reason why I am doing this. I'd like to spread awareness that viewpoints like we're "asking for it" or that we can just simply defend ourselves would "prevent rape." Like, no. How about not raping in the first place? IMO, rapists are the ones that are making rape the problem.

As humans, we are naturally sexual creatures, but also as humans, we have the ability to control that. I was blamed for the rape multiple times, so it took me years to understand that it wasn't my fault. People always told me that I could've done something, like punch the guy, or self-defended. I was 9, too, OptimisticGirl, so I understand you. -hugs- but it's even worse that your mom neglects it!

Anyway, I just did research on the Sl*t walk and I really like what I see! I am definitely using this as a basis for my project, since I'm basing it around the idea that rape could be prevented if the rapist just didn't rape.

So the Sl*twalk answer to the "Leaving your keys on the roof of your Ferrari in downtown Detroit" is "Everybody leave the keys on the roof of their cars??!"

I think situational awareness is a huge key to staying out of trouble - all forms of trouble, not just assault - throughout life.

I have no answer for the real issue of rape and assault, though. I have to split this into two lines - Social assault and domestic assault.

Social assualt have become a way of life, it seems. When it comes to alchohol, neither sex wishes to remember that the law plainly states in just about all 50 states that a woman under the influence of alchohol CANNOT consent to sex. But tell me just how many people use this excuse - or lubrication - to excuse themselves to get in bed with someone else, or to put that person in their bed. By the definition of the law, if you've had sex with a drunk woman, you've committed rape. All it takes is that person to then file it as rape - and now you have cops and courts treating such rape with little regard.

As for domestic assualt, it seems there's a Sandusky everywhere.

I doubt any posters will change either situation. and I do not have any ideas on how to solve the latter situation - you would need something like Minority Report to prevent such cases - and if you had such means, you'd have too many people on the blotters for it to mean anything anymore.

The former case of social assault, though, can be curtailed if we would all simply remember NOT TO LEAVE THE KEYS ON THE ROOF OF THE DAMN FERRARI! If you get my drift. It's akin to those climbers who climb without ropes: if you take unnecessary risks in life, you will attract unnecessary consequences. Situational Awareness - Hone it, Develop it, and use it to STAY SAFE!

Archived