LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Anti-Rape/Sexual Assault Campaigns

Originally Posted by annie24
    Did you ever go to the police about this?
    Me? I did but there was no evidence and again, the attitude the police had even back then with child rape/assault was pretty appauling. No one believed me though (because he never actually raped me so there was no 'physical' evidenece to back my story). Father, mother... no one.

Originally Posted by PhilliesFan001
    That must be really difficult. I think one of the most important things a survivor can get is validation and that seems to be lacking a little in your case. I'm really sorry that happened to you and I hope one day she pulls her head out the sand.
    thank you Phillies. I hold onto the fact that one day she will know the truth, even if that means she won't find out until after she's passed into whatever after life she belives in.

@OptimisticGirl & @PhilliesFan001: Situation like your guys' are mainly the reason why I am doing this. I'd like to spread awareness that viewpoints like we're "asking for it" or that we can just simply defend ourselves would "prevent rape." Like, no. How about not raping in the first place? IMO, rapists are the ones that are making rape the problem.

As humans, we are naturally sexual creatures, but also as humans, we have the ability to control that. I was blamed for the rape multiple times, so it took me years to understand that it wasn't my fault. People always told me that I could've done something, like punch the guy, or self-defended. I was 9, too, OptimisticGirl, so I understand you. -hugs- but it's even worse that your mom neglects it!

Anyway, I just did research on the Sl*t walk and I really like what I see! I am definitely using this as a basis for my project, since I'm basing it around the idea that rape could be prevented if the rapist just didn't rape.

Platinum Member
    So the Sl*twalk answer to the "Leaving your keys on the roof of your Ferrari in downtown Detroit" is "Everybody leave the keys on the roof of their cars??!"

I think situational awareness is a huge key to staying out of trouble - all forms of trouble, not just assault - throughout life.

I have no answer for the real issue of rape and assault, though. I have to split this into two lines - Social assault and domestic assault.

Social assualt have become a way of life, it seems. When it comes to alchohol, neither sex wishes to remember that the law plainly states in just about all 50 states that a woman under the influence of alchohol CANNOT consent to sex. But tell me just how many people use this excuse - or lubrication - to excuse themselves to get in bed with someone else, or to put that person in their bed. By the definition of the law, if you've had sex with a drunk woman, you've committed rape. All it takes is that person to then file it as rape - and now you have cops and courts treating such rape with little regard.

As for domestic assualt, it seems there's a Sandusky everywhere.

I doubt any posters will change either situation. and I do not have any ideas on how to solve the latter situation - you would need something like Minority Report to prevent such cases - and if you had such means, you'd have too many people on the blotters for it to mean anything anymore.

The former case of social assault, though, can be curtailed if we would all simply remember NOT TO LEAVE THE KEYS ON THE ROOF OF THE DAMN FERRARI! If you get my drift. It's akin to those climbers who climb without ropes: if you take unnecessary risks in life, you will attract unnecessary consequences. Situational Awareness - Hone it, Develop it, and use it to STAY SAFE!

I understand what you're saying, and yes there are steps that people could take to lessen their risk. Still, rape can happen even in a "no risk" area, and just because a woman was in a risky area or scenario does not make it right.

I'm so sorry you had to go through that Life. I was never blamed but I imagine it's just as hard as no one believing you.

I def. would love to see more direct awarness to the causes. I remember reading on the 'No Means No' campaign that they were asked to pull some of their posters because it made some people uncomfortable - stuff like that. Rape/Assault IS uncomfortable and I sometimes believe that's the only way we will ever get any kind of message accross - the direct way that makes some people uncomfortable.

Also, most rapes/assualt don't happen in a situation were you could have prevented it by not walking alone or not doing x, y, and z - most assualts are committed by someone you KNOW.

You have to remember - rape isn't about sex - it's about power. Many women get sexually assaulted no matter what they are wearing - heck, women in the military get raped too! Instead of blaming women for what they are wearing, how about blaming men for the raping?

I think that the sl_t walks are just trying to point out that it is ridiculous to blame the victim, or to question, 'but did it REALLY happen?' when that doesn't happen for any other crime that gets reported to the police.

link removed

The fact is, even if you leave your keys on top of your car, that does not give someone else the right to steal it. If you leave the door to your house unlocked, that doesn't give someone the right to come in and steal your stuff. It doesn't mean that a crime has not been committed against you.

Philadelphia, PA - moving to California soon! :)
    Originally Posted by Lonewing
    The former case of social assault, though, can be curtailed if we would all simply remember NOT TO LEAVE THE KEYS ON THE ROOF OF THE DAMN FERRARI! If you get my drift. It's akin to those climbers who climb without ropes: if you take unnecessary risks in life, you will attract unnecessary consequences. Situational Awareness - Hone it, Develop it, and use it to STAY SAFE!
    Women can exercise situational awareness without having to change the way they dress. They can stay in a group and make sure themselves and others don't go off alone, they can watch their drinks at clubs, etc. But I still feel that women should be free to dress however they like without having to fear that it can lead to a rape. There is simply no justification for it - rape is rape regardless of how trashy or sl*tty the woman is dressed.

Nobody's trying to say that you can dress provocatively without turning heads - obviously if you're wearing very revealing clothes, it will get you attention. But it's still zero excuse for unwanted touches or assaults. If you leave your keys on the roof of your car, sure it means you're more likely to find yourself in a bad situation, but does that justify the end result? Does that mean the person who steals your car is any less guilty? If a person sees keys laying about they should exercise their morals and self restraint enough not to steal it, just like a man should exercise the same restraint when he sees an attractive woman who doesn't want his advances

Besides which, the cop who instigated the entire movement has a poor understanding of rape. Rape is not usually about attraction and sexual desire - it's not seeing a woman in a tube top and being unable to control yourself and needing to have sex with her in most situations. Rape is a power play, a violation of another person's body and boundaries and spirit. It's about exercising control over your victim.

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by lifeisaparadox
    @OptimisticGirl & @PhilliesFan001: Situation like your guys' are mainly the reason why I am doing this. I'd like to spread awareness that viewpoints like we're "asking for it" or that we can just simply defend ourselves would "prevent rape." Like, no. How about not raping in the first place? IMO, rapists are the ones that are making rape the problem.

As humans, we are naturally sexual creatures, but also as humans, we have the ability to control that. I was blamed for the rape multiple times, so it took me years to understand that it wasn't my fault. People always told me that I could've done something, like punch the guy, or self-defended. I was 9, too, OptimisticGirl, so I understand you. -hugs- but it's even worse that your mom neglects it!
    It will never ever ever be your fault. It's truthfully not. There is nothing you COULD have done, either. Your situation falls under the umbrella of Domestic Rape - and as I said, I have no answers to this problem.

We all share some responsibility for the social rape scene, though. It starts with simply accepting the reality that a Drunk girl legally CANNOT consent to sex; if a man has sex with her, it qualifies as Rape.

Until this change happens, you're fighting a pretty strong current. The entire clubbing/bar scene is pretty well built around this insititution - that's what the draw is, meeting someone, hooking up and getting laid - and it's sold on the idea that in order to be successful socially, you must have superfluous amounts of alchohol available. Having a good time means buying her one, two, three drinks and dancing the night away - and she'll reward you by taking you home for a ONS. Or you'll be FWB. Or NSA.

In order to change things, you have to convince guys that this very successful game they are playing is Wrong. But thereinlies the problem - it's SUCCESSFUL. If it wasn't for this route, there's a large number who wouldn't be getting laid near as often if ever in the first place.

Anyhow...Let's just say the company Sexual Assault Awareness class was a very - depressing - Session, for what we learned about us all and each other?

Statistics have shown that 2/3 of the assault is caused by someone the person knows. Therefore, it's not exactly a stranger danger deal. Most people get the idea that rapists jump out in a dark alleyway. I mean, I'm not saying that DOESN'T happen, but chances are, you're more likely to experience rape/sexual assault through someone you know. Even family members or friends -- aka PEOPLE YOU ARE FAMILIAR WITH, and perhaps even trust. <--- that's basically what I want to get the message of.

@OptimisticGirl: I can't believe some posters were removed! It's no wonder I don't see enough anti-rape/sexual assault posters around public. But it's such a serious issue, IMO. I may be biased though in that one

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice