Why do friends ignore on Facebook

vivia12

I'm noticing a pattern of 'friends' and sometimes family members ignoring me on facebook(want friendship advice)?

When I send a message or post on peoples wall, people hardly respond and never talk to me.. I do is say “Hi how are you doing” 'or wish them Happy Holidays' and that I suppose gets old after so many times.

My cousin who was like a sister to me,heck,I was there when she was born if that matters. she keeps posting but ignoring comments I make. Furthermore dont barrage her with comments. Still she hardly responds. I feel as though she does this for attention,and she gets it!.

However when I post music and stuff on my wall,I might as well post to myself.

I ended up 'unsuscribing' to her updates because this is just ridiculous. The same goes with so call 'friends' too.

I'm not saying people have to be in constant contact with me, of course not that would be self centered to think that, peoples lives don't revolve around others but...for people to just never talk to me at all...just hurts.

So how I need to fix it? I thought about backing off for a while and not talking to people,even blocked a few very unresponsive 'friends',though its still fustrating. Has anyone ever went through the same thing?

I really dont see the big deal now about FB,its just a clique,I think,any advice

Thanks

I often don't feel the need to respond or expect a response when it comes to wall posts. I often write things like "happy birthday" and don't expect a response. I also don't respond if someone simply makes a comment on a post of mine unless they are asking me a direct question. If someone sends me a private message on Facebook that warrants a response, I will respond but it always takes me a while because for whatever reason I no longer get email updates every time i get a message or when someone posts on my wall. I have to log in in order to see any of it and I sometimes don't log in for a while. I generally do not rely on Facebook to communicate because I imagine that most people check their phones and email more often (depends on the person but the vast majority of those I communicate with these on a constant basis).

Isn't it funny how facebook does not have a "dislike" button. Now imagine if it did. Because at the moment facebook is designed to make the user feel great and important. They can post any status update and only have it "liked". If you don't like it you don't respond. Or if you don't care you don't respond. But it's a false reality because imagine if we were able to "dislike" something. There would be major fights breaking out and just about starting world war 3.

Facebook is stupid and feeds people's egos because all they receive is "likes" to EVERYTHING! Those people need to live in the real world.

I don't respond when people post things like "how are you" on my wall because I feel like it is impersonal. I would prefer if the person inboxed me or called or texted. I don't want to have a public conversation on our facebook walls because everyone can see that and i like my privacy. If I don't respond to someone's comment it is either because I feel like is a statement and does not require a response, or I don't know what to say back. If these are people you really know, don't rely of facebook to communicate with them. Call them, send them a text, or set up a time to hang out in real life. People depend on technology way too much now.

Thanx for the responses! well Chico you are probably those people I write about I guess everyone can pick and choose how they want to be contacted or else no response. However I find out most people seems to rely on Facebook instead of calling,and most of the time they prefer to respond wall instead of PM-ing them.

I can text or call,but if thats the way they act online,do you think they will respond to any thing else? I swear I believe FB is like a popularity contest,thats why I don't care add any more 'friend's because I feel its just a numbers game. Just needed to vent.

I swear I believe FB is like a popularity contest,

Don't believe it, know it. I find it absolutely hilarious that facebook SUGGESTS people to add as a friend if they're a common friend of two people in your list. Even if you have no idea at all who they are. You're now buds.

Thats why I deleted my Facebook. I only had 20 friends, and got sick of "obsessing" over it, and looking at people I used to know 5+ years ago. Also it really puts you off when everyone else can have 100+ friends but no one wants to be yours. Also when I posted something, no one would ever comment so I thought stuff it whats the point of having an account with no friends.

• 2 weeks later...

I respond to everyone comments on my FB, but - as chico stated - as long as it isn't personal information about me on my wall which I immediately detele.

Yeah quantum is also right, it's part of modern social culture to ignore message and people, including texting or even call, so much for social networks if you ask me. Facebook gives a free website so people can communicate and it seems more and more people are jaded about it. It will eventually end up like Myspace after a while.

I keep my FB active because it sure is convenient to get in touch with people even in your small countryside town but I'm very careful about what I post.

• 1 month later...

Good for you,guess you are one those folks that it doesnt matter whether you get a response or not,or whether it matters if you do. Not me,my purpose on FB is to connect,socialize and more importantly interact with people,I thought that is what the site was created for. I'm not there to add a bunch of friends who I pick and choose who I talk to and who i'll ignore. If I put good post up whether its music or something inspirational it would be nice to get some feedback. I'm sure i'm not the only one,how fun would it be if folks kept posting stuff on FB if no one bothers to comment on that.

Guess that's how I feel.

Archived