Open Club  ·  30 members  ·  Free

Travel and Culture

Which country on earth would you like to live in besides you own?

TheCreepyOne

I would like to live in China. I know there are human rights problems and stuff like that, but I visited it last year, and in the big cities at leaast, life seems very good( at least compared to my crappy ♥♥♥ country Romania).

There were huge buildings, supermarkets and really cheap products(in price, not quality)

The reason I brought this up is because I will be visiting it again this year, and after I am done with school I will be looking to leave my natal country and find work somewhere else,so I will look and see what I can find with my programming degree(or whatever its called).

But anyway, what country would you prefer to live in?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Scandinavian countries are good in that regard I think.

I have tried that..people are very polite and kind, but keep to themselves socially. Its not really mixed cultured even though you have people of colour that live there. But its more apart. People live in big houses and more secluded anyway.

Maybe in the big cities its a little different. But even there i found it wasnt as sociable or that there were many options. They do like to drink heavily on weekend though. But for me that's no fun.. for them it might be where the fun starts ;-)..

If you are going for calmness, good governmental arrangements (health, etc), space, nature, family life..choose scandinavia..

I would like to live in China. I know there are human rights problems and stuff like that, but I visited it last year, and in the big cities at leaast, life seems very good( at least compared to my crappy ♥♥♥ country Romania).

There were huge buildings, supermarkets and really cheap products(in price, not quality)

The reason I brought this up is because I will be visiting it again this year, and after I am done with school I will be looking to leave my natal country and find work somewhere else,so I will look and see what I can find with my programming degree(or whatever its called).

But anyway, what country would you prefer to live in?

I just came back from 3 weeks in China and was definitely quite impressed with the infrastructure. However, I am not so sure things are that cheap. Our tour guides talked about how expensive apartments and cars are and salaries are not that high. The cities are extremely crowded and the roads are chaotic because of the number of vehicles, bicycles, motor bikes and pedestrians. It is also scary watching people drive in the cities. It is like a game of chicken between the motorists, cyclists and pedestrians for who has the right of way.

Canada or Scotland would be my top choices. I went to Canada this year and it was breathtaking the part I went to, I loved everything about it...the culture, the people, the environment, I can definitely see myself living a happy life there and I'm actually planning on moving there next year. I have family in Scotland and its another place that the scenery looks so beautiful from pictures and things I've seen...plus they have awesome accents *hears a scottishman talk and swoons*

Funny, I live in the Middle East and I want to live in Australia.. It may be Exotic here but you have to tolerate a lot of things; including losing many of your rights

What country Dreamalong?

I spent about 5 months backpacking through the Middle East and loved it. It's a really fascinating place with some wonderful sights. Ultimately I'd like to settle down in Australia (I love Australia) but I'd like to live the Middle East for a year or two and maybe learn Arabic.

It's more of a dream or fantasy than anything else though, unfortunately.

What country Dreamalong?

I spent about 5 months backpacking through the Middle East and loved it. It's a really fascinating place with some wonderful sights. Ultimately I'd like to settle down in Australia (I love Australia) but I'd like to live the Middle East for a year or two and maybe learn Arabic.

It's more of a dream or fantasy than anything else though, unfortunately.

One man's dream is another man's nightmare LOL I'm in Egypt, in the middle of a bloody revolution right now with very unclear future, the political scene is volatile all over the ME including Israel and Lebanon .. Hopefully there will be peace, human rights and democracy in this region one day but until then it's not a great place to live in

I live an hour away from New York City, so from a cultural perspective I've got it made pretty good. However, my dream is to travel the world and never settle in one place. I've always been a nomad, I move every year almost lol. It's like traveling is just in my blood I guess. Anywho, here's a few places I'd like to live for a little while: Australia, Japan, Egypt, Ecuador (my closest friend is from there and we may be vacationing there this Summer!), Germany (have friends that live there, awesome people), Russia, and Cambodia (ex boyfriend is from there, random fun fact). Honestly I'd like to get off of Earth completely and travel the universe, but unfortunately we haven't produced that kind of technology yet. Oh and to the person who wants to learn French, je parle francais un peu! =)

• 3 weeks later...

Some of you aren't really answering the question. He asked where would you want to LIVE not visit. There are lots of places I'd love to visit: Russia, Spain, India, Greece, Italy...

I spent two summers in Romania (the OP's homeland) but I wouldn't want to live there. I'm glad I expereinced it, though. I'd visit it again but not live. I like where I live (USA) and if I were younger I would experience living in New York City. Fabulous city!

• 2 months later...
I live an hour away from New York City, so from a cultural perspective I've got it made pretty good. However, my dream is to travel the world and never settle in one place. I've always been a nomad, I move every year almost lol. It's like traveling is just in my blood I guess. Anywho, here's a few places I'd like to live for a little while: Australia, Japan, Egypt, Ecuador (my closest friend is from there and we may be vacationing there this Summer!), Germany (have friends that live there, awesome people), Russia, and Cambodia (ex boyfriend is from there, random fun fact). Honestly I'd like to get off of Earth completely and travel the universe, but unfortunately we haven't produced that kind of technology yet. Oh and to the person who wants to learn French, je parle francais un peu! =)

Interesting! I am just like you, Lady Luck. I am Asian but was bred in Southern and Northern Europe, and then the Middle East due to my parents' financial and medical professions. Their licenses allowed them to get jobs wherever they set their sights on. So, in total, I lived in 8 countries, each averaging 4 years. I have traveled around the world already on my own. My siblings and I are all " global nomads " now...but we all return to North America every Christmas or summer to visit our parents who are citizens of North America. One of my siblings is in Greece ( where we spent most of our childhood years ) and the other one is in London, England ( and will be moving to Africa soon because the company has holdings there ). I currently am a resident of Tokyo, Japan, but split my time from Tokyo, Singapore, Hong Kong and Mumbai where my work takes me. Everyone around me is also a "global nomad". Strange but I feel more at home when I am in transit from one country to another than staying in one. Even though I have been a resident of Tokyo for almost 5 years now.

Now to answer the OP's question : I would LOVE to live in the place that has caused me so much happiness during my entire childhood : Greece. Another close contender would be Northern Europe ( specifically Sweden and Finland ), where I spent a fair bit of time in my childhood. Other places I will try for sure since I already have contracts coming up there : Spain ( Barcelona ), Morocco.

Archived