Ask For Advice
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Kissing cousins? Is it ok?

TulipWriter

Question Kissing cousins? Is it ok?

Hey everyone,

This is something I've always heard mixed opinions on. I'm curious what the truth is.

I've heard that it's technically ok for cousins to date/marry; that there really isn't anything morally/physically wrong with it. (Another saying I've heard: "Second & up, it's ok to f**k." lol, as in second cousin-or-above, it's ok to date/marry/ahem, the word in the saying.) ...but is it true? Or is it actually morally and physically wrong to get together with a cousin? (First, second, or otherwise?)

I've heard that if cousins marry and have a child, the child will be deformed; "have bugged-out eyes." (I don't know if this is true, it's just one of the things I've heard about getting together with a cousin!)

If anyone knows what the truth is (not the many rumors/sayings I've heard) please reply. Thanks!

DylanNotorious
    Platinum Member
    I have a friend who's mother was born to kissing cousins. His mother is slightly whacky. But she managed to get married and had 2 kids (he was one of them) and he turned out perfectly normal.

But yeah, I wouldn't get with a cousin!

ToF
    From what I understand, a child produced from two first-cousins has about the same risk of birth defects/disorders/mutations as a child born of a woman 40 years of age and older.

agent
    Quote Originally Posted by Autumnrose [Register to see the link]

I've heard that if cousins marry and have a child, the child will be deformed;
    I think that this is really more a case where there are generations of cousins intermarrying.

Fudgie
    There is some increased risk when 2 cousins marry and have children. I wouldn't say that it's HORRIBLY increased but it's definitely more than 2 people who aren't blood related.

I've made out with my cousin. He's older by 4-5 years. It's not something that I talk about. We used to "fondle" each other when we were young and then made out when I was older and went on a "date".

I kid you not. Not something I tell many people. My family doesn't know. Now I haven't seen him in so many years and I'm not in contact. I don't really care. It doesn't matter to me if I ever see him again.

I personally wouldn't do it again.

Day_Walker
    There is enough genetic diversity for cousins to have children together, but the stigma seems to be social and cultural. Some cultures allow cousins to marry and/or encourage it.

TulipWriter
    Interesting...my question doesn't seem to be answered clearly, though. Thanks for responses!

ToF
    What question do you want answered, specifically?

Fudgie
    If you're asking about morals, I don't think it's MORALLY wrong to get with a cousin.

Then again, I define "morals" by the simple question: DOES THIS HURT SOMEONE?

You boning or marrying your cousin, outside of some possibly family upset (then again, families usually freak at many things), well, it's not hurting anyone, so it's not immoral.

However, societal customs and society's idea of what is "okay" is usually not in line with what is moral. Cheating and having mistresses is more acceptable in our society than marrying your cousin, which I think is just ridiculous. So if you get with a cousin, expect some backlash and possible family strife.

capilot
    Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by agent [Register to see the link]
    I think that this is really more a case where there are generations of cousins intermarrying.
    I think this is exactly correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Autumnrose [Register to see the link]
    Interesting...my question doesn't seem to be answered clearly, though. Thanks for responses!
    Morally? Up to you, really. Fudgie is right; the question to ask is "does this hurt somebody".

As for legally, the answer is it varies. I looked it up once. In the U.S., cousin marriage is illegal in about half the states. Outside the U.S., it's legal in most of the world, and even encouraged in some cultures. I think it's legal in the U.K., given that Victoria and Albert were first cousins.

Second cousins are legal everywhere.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Top Threads
Disproportionate Inheritance
It's been a difficult year. My dad, 83, fought cancer for 9 months and succumbed to it last Tuesday. What made it all the more difficult is that he
10 year old and still cranky. HELP!
Please help me. I have an almost 10 yo boy. He is very good in school, and has no problem at all with his marks. He is very sensitive kid, like he
Need guidance on son's wedding
My wife and I have been married for 38 years. We have three biological children (all boys) and three adopted girls, all of whom have special needs
My brother has become a monster
This is really, really long. I've been dealing with this alone for a very long time. Growing up, my brother was really fun. We liked a lot of the
Adult child wants to move to the other side of the country
I know, I know, what's the problem with that, right? My son is 21 years old. He has (I guess) fairly mild aspergers syndrome. He also has
I think my dad cheated on mom...
[SIZE=4]I dont know what to do... I used my dads computer yesterday for homework, and i opened a word document on the desktop (it was just titled new
She kicked me out
So Im coming home after a year spent in Germany and I meet changed locks. Notice Im coming home October, November and May, last time we have phone

Expert Advice
Featured Threads
Tired of Being His Provider??
Okay so I found this site through Google. This seems like a pretty common topic and I suppose I just need to vent. My husband has been unemployed
Beautiful women who works at lush...
So there is this a girl who works at this place. I've been in there twice now and she is a stunner. Its one of those girls who you have to look twice
Being left for another man by my ex girlfriend
My and my ex gf broke up 7 months ago back in late April. We had bad fights and she stated she was unhappy. She then proceeded to have an active
Wondering?
Ok, I posted before about my situation but I would like to further talk. This woman I became involved with 3 years ago TOLD me she had feelings for
Break up Advice Needed
Hi all, I really need some advice on my recent break up with my girlfriend of almost five years. A few months ago I started to feel unhappy and
She's getting ready for marriage. She thinks that it is what I want. My fault.
So, I am pretty much in a difficult situation. I have been with a girl for the past 4 years. In these 4 years, after a while I realized she really
Venting - Advice...?
Hello, Im a 36 year old male, married with 3 kids. My wife and I are pretty much like roommates. There is zero sex life and its from both ends
Ask For Advice