Ask For Advice
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Kissing cousins? Is it ok?

TulipWriter

Question Kissing cousins? Is it ok?

Hey everyone,

This is something I've always heard mixed opinions on. I'm curious what the truth is.

I've heard that it's technically ok for cousins to date/marry; that there really isn't anything morally/physically wrong with it. (Another saying I've heard: "Second & up, it's ok to f**k." lol, as in second cousin-or-above, it's ok to date/marry/ahem, the word in the saying.) ...but is it true? Or is it actually morally and physically wrong to get together with a cousin? (First, second, or otherwise?)

I've heard that if cousins marry and have a child, the child will be deformed; "have bugged-out eyes." (I don't know if this is true, it's just one of the things I've heard about getting together with a cousin!)

If anyone knows what the truth is (not the many rumors/sayings I've heard) please reply. Thanks!

DylanNotorious
    Platinum Member
    I have a friend who's mother was born to kissing cousins. His mother is slightly whacky. But she managed to get married and had 2 kids (he was one of them) and he turned out perfectly normal.

But yeah, I wouldn't get with a cousin!

ToF
    From what I understand, a child produced from two first-cousins has about the same risk of birth defects/disorders/mutations as a child born of a woman 40 years of age and older.

agent
    Quote Originally Posted by Autumnrose [Register to see the link]

I've heard that if cousins marry and have a child, the child will be deformed;
    I think that this is really more a case where there are generations of cousins intermarrying.

Fudgie
    There is some increased risk when 2 cousins marry and have children. I wouldn't say that it's HORRIBLY increased but it's definitely more than 2 people who aren't blood related.

I've made out with my cousin. He's older by 4-5 years. It's not something that I talk about. We used to "fondle" each other when we were young and then made out when I was older and went on a "date".

I kid you not. Not something I tell many people. My family doesn't know. Now I haven't seen him in so many years and I'm not in contact. I don't really care. It doesn't matter to me if I ever see him again.

I personally wouldn't do it again.

Day_Walker
    There is enough genetic diversity for cousins to have children together, but the stigma seems to be social and cultural. Some cultures allow cousins to marry and/or encourage it.

TulipWriter
    Interesting...my question doesn't seem to be answered clearly, though. Thanks for responses!

ToF
    What question do you want answered, specifically?

Fudgie
    If you're asking about morals, I don't think it's MORALLY wrong to get with a cousin.

Then again, I define "morals" by the simple question: DOES THIS HURT SOMEONE?

You boning or marrying your cousin, outside of some possibly family upset (then again, families usually freak at many things), well, it's not hurting anyone, so it's not immoral.

However, societal customs and society's idea of what is "okay" is usually not in line with what is moral. Cheating and having mistresses is more acceptable in our society than marrying your cousin, which I think is just ridiculous. So if you get with a cousin, expect some backlash and possible family strife.

capilot
    Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by agent [Register to see the link]
    I think that this is really more a case where there are generations of cousins intermarrying.
    I think this is exactly correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Autumnrose [Register to see the link]
    Interesting...my question doesn't seem to be answered clearly, though. Thanks for responses!
    Morally? Up to you, really. Fudgie is right; the question to ask is "does this hurt somebody".

As for legally, the answer is it varies. I looked it up once. In the U.S., cousin marriage is illegal in about half the states. Outside the U.S., it's legal in most of the world, and even encouraged in some cultures. I think it's legal in the U.K., given that Victoria and Albert were first cousins.

Second cousins are legal everywhere.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Top Threads
Bad grades; Children OR parent's fault??
**This is just a general question btw*** Personally, I say YES, providing the child is under 15, I believe that children that age ARE NOT MATURE
My parents died in a car accident when I was 14 – my grandparents refused to take me in ‘cause I’m m
My parents died in a car accident when I was 10. My father was black, and my mom was white. My dad grew up an orphan, so I was unable to be taken in
Overly-conservative parents + coping with bullying
I'm 19 and I am about to leave for university in a week. I just got into a major fight with my mother about something so stupidly irrelevant to this
Is it Weird? Hope not ...
I met my gf's family this past week. All went well, they visited from out of town and said that can't wait for us to go visit them in their house
How can I make my mom see a doctor?
Hi all, I'm a bit desperate and seeking all the advice I can get. My mom has been quite sick lately, to the point where she doesn't go to work
Well i was expecting to have a nice weekend with the family out of town but.....
It didnt turn out that way:( We travel to busch gardens for the weekend in VA and things was great on Friday when we arrived and all day Saturday
Hard forgiving people who gave birth to me
Hi there, I'm 22 years old I have been going through a lot. I don't know where to start at all since I'm writing this. When I was growing up I

Expert Advice
Featured Threads
My boyfriend doesn't text me as much anymore?
My boyfriend would text me everyday all day and now he won't text me first anymore or at all sometimes. Last night he stopped replying to my text so
Is she the rebound
If he leaves a 17 year relationship to date his High School Sweetheart from 32 years ago, is she a rebound ?
I want to break NC after almost 2 months to invite my ex gf to a concert
We have been in NC for almost 2 months after being together for 6 years. She stopped responding to a text i sent her. I saw she was interested in
Online dating, and why it doesn't work well for most men
We discussed this before, and for some reason people got personal and mean about it. So I have no intention of returning to this thread, but I wanted
PLEASE HELP, boyfriend talks to mom 4-5 times per day, very odd relationship....
Hi guys, Always been hesitant to post my personal business online. Anyways... here it goes... So my boyfriend is amazing...(just to throw this
Hurtful joking
My bf jokes about things that are very hurtful. Today was probably one of the most hurtful. He tried to grab my breasts and he does this a lot. He's
He dumped me and won't return my stuff
So I was seeing a guy for a short amount of time. Out of the blue....he blocked me? Fair enough, I get the message, I think it's rude but
Ask For Advice