my boyfriend is mad at me because I am on birth control..

justinfan12

We got back together. I went to lunch with him and his friends.

Things were good but I came later. His friends left eventually.

My boyfriend, asked me how the doctor went. I told him "It went okay. He is putting me on birth control." I could tell he got uncomfortable I don't know. his face made some weird look. So I asked "What?" he said "Why are you going on birth control?" I said "Because." I didn't want to talk about the reason why in front of other people. He said "Why...? No. Don't." I asked "Why not? It's done. I'm going on it." He said "Babe. Seriously don't it's really bad for you. Why is he putting you on that? Who does he think he is? Birth control is bad for you." I said "I want to be safe. Just in case something happens."

He replied with "We will talk about it later. I don't think it's a good idea. We will talk about it later."

The real reason is to regulate my time of the month. But I want to be safe.

I don't really get why someone would oppose the idea of wanting to be safe? Do you guys out there would you get upset if your girlfriend decided to go on the pill? I have been talking about it with my doc for awhile now. But I am going on it whether he likes it or not. Why wouldn't your boyfriend/partner NOT like it?

I asked my friend about it and he told me he honestly got upset with his girlfriend too last year when she went on the pill. He thought she was doing it to have sex with other guys. :S

But he realized how stupid he was being. He said he wants kids with her eventually and he thought the pill would make her unable to ever have kids. Ive heard of guys getting upset but that sounds kind of selfish? Condoms aren't a guarantee...

I can remember I used to act like that too when my ex-girlfriend was talking about going on it, which she wanted to do for her acne. I read some scary things about it, like increased risk of breast and cervical cancer, increased risk of miscarriage and a bunch of other scary things. I was actually willing to put off sex just so she wouldn't go on it. Then again, I was very young and naive.

My current girlfriend is on the pill, has been since she was young as well for acne and regulating period I guess. I'm fine with it, plus I don't use condoms anymore. She knows what she's doing too cause she's in healthcare and knows about all of that stuff.

You BF is being a bit ridiculous about this. BC is NOT bad for you unless you have an underlying medical condition or (is some few an far between cases) it is are on it for many, many, many years you could have difficultly getting pregnant.

Plus, its not really his place to say what you can and cannot put in your own body.

IDK, I get the vibe that he is fairly controlling. I mean if he is going to make a big deal out of BC I think it might be a sign of how he would handle other aspects of your relationship.

My boyfriend thought that some KINDS of birth control were bad for me, we discussed the different KINDS of birth control that i should and should not go on with their effectiveness and side effects. Something seems weird and I have a feeling it has nothing to do with birth control being bad for you, Chocolate, the smell of gasoline and talking on the phone while driving is bad for you, is he all over you about those things too?

It sounds like he wants kids some day- soon

Birth control regulates your ability to get pregnant and regulates your period. The only reason I can see him getting upset even if he DOES want to have a baby soon, the longer you are on birth control, the longer it takes to get pregnant.

I can remember I used to act like that too when my ex-girlfriend was talking about going on it, which she wanted to do for her acne. I read some scary things about it, like increased risk of breast and cervical cancer, increased risk of miscarriage and a bunch of other scary things. I was actually willing to put off sex just so she wouldn't go on it. Then again, I was very young and naive.

My current girlfriend is on the pill, has been since she was young as well for acne and regulating period I guess. I'm fine with it, plus I don't use condoms anymore. She knows what she's doing too cause she's in healthcare and knows about all of that stuff.

He has mentioned kids but who doesn't mention that stuff? I thought he was joking but After today I think he meant it but he knows I don't want kids anytime soon. Ya I do want kids but not now.

You read scary stuff on it? I'm going to do my research on it. Because you know I want to be sure. I wouldn't go on something like this without educating myself. But I have no medical issues I'm healthy. Whenever I go to see my doctor I have absolutely no issues going on. He says I'm the perfect candidate for bc. I also mentioned acne but my doctor said I don't have any. Im very conscious about my appearance so another reason why I am going on it despite my healthy lifestyle is to totally rid myself of any pimples that I usually get during my time of the month.

Wow I had no idea guys get like this.

From looking through some of your other posts, he sounds very controlling, bordering on verbally abusive. If he so badly doesn't want you to be on birth control, it's almost like he wants to get you pregnant. It's not really his choice. If he hates you being on bc so much, he'll have to stop having sex with you, which I doubt is something he wants to do.

You and your boyfriend (but mostly you) are a mini-soap opera.

To inform others who may not know, you are the same girl that mentioned that she has not slept with her boyfriend. You were also scandalized that he had touched you while you were sleeping...IN HIS BED.

Given these things, I think his alarm at you getting birth control is 100% appropriate, because you have been refusing him sex. I am not saying you should have sex, not at all. But when someone is purchasing birth control, that is what they are assumed to be doing.

I, for instance, am not dating, in a relationship, or will conceivably (pun intended) have sex in the near future, and thus I do not have condoms or other contraceptives at my disposal.

Logically, your boyfriend assumes you are cheating on him.

Second, I am a medical student and I can say that 1.) epidemiologic studies on OCPs suffer a major bias, which is that this method is favored by many physicians and the general population because of convenience and 2.) many things that were once thought innocuous or even good have turned out to be bad. The studies may say that taking OCPs from age 21 is perfectly OK, but think about what you are doing:

1.) in the absence of any deficiency, you are taking a hormone with potent effects not just on your reproductive system but also your immune system, coagulation, brain, etc. It's like taking thyroid hormone or insulin when you don't have a thyroid problem or diabetes. There are risks: blood clots, inflammatory disease, etc.

2.) think of the long-term risks. Hormone replacement therapy was recommended to menopausal women to relieve their symptoms of menopause. Unfortunately, while it did stop hot flashes, vaginal dryness, etc. it also increased the rate of heart attacks and a whole slew of gynecologic cancers. Estrogen promotes gynecologic cancers, as a rule. OCPs contain estrogen, and while it is coupled with the protective progesterone, this is still a source of concern.

You should stay on the birth control. This guy sounds controlling and the last thing you want is to be permanently linked with him because of a child. Both of you also sound young and under educated about birth control (and possibly sex in general). Birth control is not bad. Are there some risks? Yes, but no more than with any other form of prescription med. I've had friends who have had bad experiences with the pill. Then again, I've been on several kinds, over many years, both when sexually active and when not, and I've found that I feel healthier when on them (lighter periods, less cramps, fewer mood swings).

Keep in mind you have other BC options. You could do an injection or a IUD, both of which your bf would not need to know about. Normally I am not an advocate of secrets in a relationship, but I think birth control is a choice and responsibility of a woman because we are the ones who ultimately can get pregnant. (not to say you shouldn't use condoms too, but if you're in a monogamous relationship and you've both been tested, this is less of an issue. However, also be aware that BC pills are not 100% effective)

I had to laugh a little.

I was on the Pill for 8 years solid. I went off it when I got married and we decided we wanted kids.

The doctor said it might take a few months for my body to get used to being off it - and not to be alarmed if I didn't get pregnant right away.

3 weeks later, I was pregnant.

Only cautionary note - if you go on antibiotics while taking the Pill - use a barrier method as well - it can diminish the effectiveness and give you a bit of a surprise, which is why my kids are only a year apart... lol

• 6 years later...

Plz don't be dumb and get on birth control. Not only there are pills however also there is implants of a hormones small as hair clip that's placed on your arm lasts for three years. Better than pills taking

Having kids when you' haven't planned them is not an easy thing

Archived