Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: my boyfriend is mad at me because I am on birth control..

Platinum Member
    From looking through some of your other posts, he sounds very controlling, bordering on verbally abusive. If he so badly doesn't want you to be on birth control, it's almost like he wants to get you pregnant. It's not really his choice. If he hates you being on bc so much, he'll have to stop having sex with you, which I doubt is something he wants to do.

Silver Member
    You and your boyfriend (but mostly you) are a mini-soap opera.

To inform others who may not know, you are the same girl that mentioned that she has not slept with her boyfriend. You were also scandalized that he had touched you while you were sleeping...IN HIS BED.

Given these things, I think his alarm at you getting birth control is 100% appropriate, because you have been refusing him sex. I am not saying you should have sex, not at all. But when someone is purchasing birth control, that is what they are assumed to be doing.

I, for instance, am not dating, in a relationship, or will conceivably (pun intended) have sex in the near future, and thus I do not have condoms or other contraceptives at my disposal.

Logically, your boyfriend assumes you are cheating on him.

Second, I am a medical student and I can say that 1.) epidemiologic studies on OCPs suffer a major bias, which is that this method is favored by many physicians and the general population because of convenience and 2.) many things that were once thought innocuous or even good have turned out to be bad. The studies may say that taking OCPs from age 21 is perfectly OK, but think about what you are doing:

1.) in the absence of any deficiency, you are taking a hormone with potent effects not just on your reproductive system but also your immune system, coagulation, brain, etc. It's like taking thyroid hormone or insulin when you don't have a thyroid problem or diabetes. There are risks: blood clots, inflammatory disease, etc.

2.) think of the long-term risks. Hormone replacement therapy was recommended to menopausal women to relieve their symptoms of menopause. Unfortunately, while it did stop hot flashes, vaginal dryness, etc. it also increased the rate of heart attacks and a whole slew of gynecologic cancers. Estrogen promotes gynecologic cancers, as a rule. OCPs contain estrogen, and while it is coupled with the protective progesterone, this is still a source of concern.

You should stay on the birth control. This guy sounds controlling and the last thing you want is to be permanently linked with him because of a child. Both of you also sound young and under educated about birth control (and possibly sex in general). Birth control is not bad. Are there some risks? Yes, but no more than with any other form of prescription med. I've had friends who have had bad experiences with the pill. Then again, I've been on several kinds, over many years, both when sexually active and when not, and I've found that I feel healthier when on them (lighter periods, less cramps, fewer mood swings).

Keep in mind you have other BC options. You could do an injection or a IUD, both of which your bf would not need to know about. Normally I am not an advocate of secrets in a relationship, but I think birth control is a choice and responsibility of a woman because we are the ones who ultimately can get pregnant. (not to say you shouldn't use condoms too, but if you're in a monogamous relationship and you've both been tested, this is less of an issue. However, also be aware that BC pills are not 100% effective)

I had to laugh a little.

I was on the Pill for 8 years solid. I went off it when I got married and we decided we wanted kids.

The doctor said it might take a few months for my body to get used to being off it - and not to be alarmed if I didn't get pregnant right away.

3 weeks later, I was pregnant.

Only cautionary note - if you go on antibiotics while taking the Pill - use a barrier method as well - it can diminish the effectiveness and give you a bit of a surprise, which is why my kids are only a year apart... lol

I'm confused with your story because in your first thread that you posted here you stated that you were already on birth control

Originally Posted by justinfan12
    I am on birth control...

Here's the thread in case you forgot what you posted just a few days ago...

Plz don't be dumb and get on birth control. Not only there are pills however also there is implants of a hormones small as hair clip that's placed on your arm lasts for three years. Better than pills taking
    Having kids when you' haven't planned them is not an easy thing

Originally Posted by Geewiz3
    Plz don't be dumb and get on birth control. Not only there are pills however also there is implants of a hormones small as hair clip that's placed on your arm lasts for three years. Better than pills taking
    Having kids when you' haven't planned them is not an easy thing
    Thread is 6 years old.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Give Advice
Ask For Advice