Ask For Advice

Thread: When and how to bring up exclusivity

amyb

When and how to bring up exclusivity

I have been dating this guy for about 2 months now, I know it's not a long time but I really like him and I'm pretty sure he likes me too. We have been intimate even though we haven't discussed being exclusive (I know some people on here don't agree with that). However, we have great chemistry and it felt right so I don't feel bad about it. Anyway, I know it's early but I would like to soon discuss being exclusive with him but don't know how and when to bring it up. Should I wait a while? Should I wait for him to bring it up? And if I do bring it up, how can I do it very subtly (sp?) so that it doesn't scare him off?
    I am the type of person that when I am dating someone and I like him I do NOT date other people. But I know that not everyone thinks that way so he might be dating or looking to date other people - I just don't know. It's ok of course since as I said it is still pretty early and we haven't discussed being exclusive. But I am wondering how long to wait???

esrever
    Well, you seem to know what you want. Might as well ask, but bring it up when you're alone with him and try to preface it so that he doesn't feel like he has to say yes. If you can get an honest yes from him, then your relationship has a good chance of working out. And if you do it alone and so he doesn't feel he has to say yes and you get a no, then maybe it's time to move on or at least start looking around a little more.

Stay_home
    If becoming an exclusive item is really on your mind I would definitely bring it up and talk with him about it. A closed mouth doesn't get fed. And I'm sure you would rather hear about his position on the dating and what his mindset is like, rather than waiting until much later on and learning that he doesn't want the same level of committment. Sometimes people will keep their mouths shut on purpose to keep stuff going a certain way. Don't take that chance. Ask if you aren't sure.

Ms Darcy
    I personally would date another month.

DylanNotorious
    Platinum Member
    You wait for him to bring it up.

Your clearly very attached to this guy, so now you just wait for him to get just as attached to you.

HeartGoesOn
    This is not meant to sound offensive, but I can't wrap my head around how one can determine that it's not too early to sleep together, yet at the same time, they feel it's too early to ask where they stand.

Also, I would have confirmed that he wasn't dating others before taking this step.

Top Threads
Wife's Midlife Crisis and Emotional Affair
Ok, at this point, I'm just looking for perspective, thoughts, feelings about dealing with a spouse going through a midlife crisis, and an emotional
Starting business with gf
Hi there - my gf told me she always wanted to open a book store. One night I told her that she would be really good at it. The next day she sent me a
My boyfriend wants me to move in with him. HELP!
Hi. I'm 22 years old, and my boyfriend is 23. We have been together for a year now and during this past year we have been through a lot of struggles
The most difficult situation of my life
Hi guys, I would like to make it as short as possible.So basically my story start on the high school, 4 years ago. I went to the first class and met
Will my ex ever talk to me again after my behavior?
This is kind of a long story that took place over multiple years. I'll just layout all the details first, before getting into what I did. I dated
Told my ex a guy kissed me?!?!?! Help!
Hey guys, to cut a super long story short my ex broke up with me 2 months ago but we still kind of wanted to be together because he messaged me here
Am I being selfish or unreasonable?
Hi everyone, Sorry for my first post to be one of all doom and gloom, but I'm stuck and don't know what to do. I want to start by saying that I

Expert Advice
Featured Threads
He Left My Clothes in His Yard to Pick Up
Here is a follow to my situation: After I spent four days with this guy I met online, I inadvertently left a few clothes at his place. Almost two
Does he really think I'm trolling him/can't trust me or is just an excuse?
Met a guy last summer. I broke it off with him 3 times in 6 dates, over concern about distance, but kept apologizing. The last break off he said he
My 8 year old won't go to sleep or stay asleep 😣😣
Feel like I am losing my mind. My 8 year old just won't go to bed.. or she at least won't stay in bed. She is still up now at 9.45pm (after being
HSP in LDR, about to move to be with him and get married
Im a Highly Sensitive Person. I get very overwhelmed very easily. If i dont sleep well, if theres too much noise, if there are too many
Am I being selfish or unreasonable?
Hi everyone, Sorry for my first post to be one of all doom and gloom, but I'm stuck and don't know what to do. I want to start by saying that I
Stomach flu fears
I have a huge fear of stomach flu, if i am exposed or know someone has had it a have really bad anxiety and stress over it. Yesterday at 11am at my
Boyfriend Likes Questionable Pictures on Instagram– Should I Be Worried?
Long story short, he's been liking some questionable pictures that this other woman (whom he knows irl) posts. In one of the pictures he liked, she's
Ask For Advice