Ask For Advice

Thread: When and how to bring up exclusivity

When and how to bring up exclusivity

I have been dating this guy for about 2 months now, I know it's not a long time but I really like him and I'm pretty sure he likes me too. We have been intimate even though we haven't discussed being exclusive (I know some people on here don't agree with that). However, we have great chemistry and it felt right so I don't feel bad about it. Anyway, I know it's early but I would like to soon discuss being exclusive with him but don't know how and when to bring it up. Should I wait a while? Should I wait for him to bring it up? And if I do bring it up, how can I do it very subtly (sp?) so that it doesn't scare him off?
    I am the type of person that when I am dating someone and I like him I do NOT date other people. But I know that not everyone thinks that way so he might be dating or looking to date other people - I just don't know. It's ok of course since as I said it is still pretty early and we haven't discussed being exclusive. But I am wondering how long to wait???

Well, you seem to know what you want. Might as well ask, but bring it up when you're alone with him and try to preface it so that he doesn't feel like he has to say yes. If you can get an honest yes from him, then your relationship has a good chance of working out. And if you do it alone and so he doesn't feel he has to say yes and you get a no, then maybe it's time to move on or at least start looking around a little more.

Washington, D.C.
    If becoming an exclusive item is really on your mind I would definitely bring it up and talk with him about it. A closed mouth doesn't get fed. And I'm sure you would rather hear about his position on the dating and what his mindset is like, rather than waiting until much later on and learning that he doesn't want the same level of committment. Sometimes people will keep their mouths shut on purpose to keep stuff going a certain way. Don't take that chance. Ask if you aren't sure.

Ms Darcy
    United States
    I personally would date another month.

Platinum Member
    You wait for him to bring it up.

Your clearly very attached to this guy, so now you just wait for him to get just as attached to you.

This is not meant to sound offensive, but I can't wrap my head around how one can determine that it's not too early to sleep together, yet at the same time, they feel it's too early to ask where they stand.

Also, I would have confirmed that he wasn't dating others before taking this step.

Top Threads
Long distance ex, in contact for last 6 years... why?
My ex and i have been in contact with each other for the last 6 years. We live on two different continents. Our first falling out, was because we
The Great Pretenders (In Our Relationships) -- LONG
I watched a great movie last night "[I]Gone Girl[/I]" (came out a few years ago but watched it on Netflix last night for the first time). Awesome
Just ignoring me..
Hi all, I really need some outside perspective on an issue I've been having lately with my boyfriend. Last night he was watching a baseball game
Atheists and Holidays
Hello everyone! I'm facing a bit of an issue and I would really like to know if anyone has gone through something similar and has any advice
Am I crazy for wanting this to be over??
I'll give you a little back story before I get into everything. My boyfriend and I have been dating for about 6 months. He overcame a drug addiction
His Parents
Hello. I am a 25 year old female in graduate school, and here is my story that I am looking for help with. I met a guy in June, in the last place
Boyfriend too tired to spend time with me
Me and my boyfriend been together for 10 months now and I never been anymore happier with anyone else. He is honestly like the other half of me, he

Expert Advice
Featured Threads
im 18 hes just turned 34. He might be married
Met this guy a few weeks ago and we hit it off. Up until I found out his age. He's nice and we've been talking a lot. I've invited him to my place a
invited me to hers for food?
Hi, I was messaging this girl, asking for any restaurant recommendations in her city I'm visiting. She sort of invited her self like 'we can do
New here and have a question about how you would handle my problem
Hi everyone. I have been married to my wife for two years and there have been some things that have happened recently that I don't really know what
I'm pretty sure I know what to do (transfer offer to dream city)
So I applied for and was offered a transfer (lateral transfer, same position) to a location that is literally 1,000 miles away. So here's the
It took only one night in Paris of all places to ruin the best woman in the wrld
I apologize for this is long but I need to paint the whole picture so one might understand and give me some good feed back. First some back story
Should I let my boyfrend have sex with another man?
When me and my boyfriend got together we both knew that we were bisexual. We've been together for just over 2 years and 8 months now and all was
Husband is confused about life and our marriage
Hi there, I need some advice, comfort, or someone to talk to. My husband is unhappy about life. He doesn't like his job and wants to find a new one
Ask For Advice