Open Club  ·  30 members  ·  Free

Book Talk

Romance novels?

hers

I wrote a thread on it once before, but it was more about me wanting love. Now that I'm married, I don't concern myself with the bitterness anymore haha. Here's the thread anyway:

Is anyone a fan of these books? I've been obsessed the last few years! Specifically Harlequin Special Edition (formerally known as Silhouette Special Edition). They're not "trashy romance novels", as my husband calls them. I don't even know if they're love stories, like Jane Austen or something. They're just books, I guess! But I love them. They're modern day, and they are usually about a man and a woman meeting under unusual circumstances and then falling in love. There's not really a lot of sex scenes but if there are any, they're tastefully written (not at all like "Reginald's quivering member", a la 10 Things I Hate About You). The first one I read was "Marrying the Virgin Nanny" by Teresa Southwick. I bought it to laugh b/c the title was so lame but I liked the book and was hooked This specific brand of sorts has a lot of western themes, like ranchers adn cowboys and such, but I don't tend to read those ones. For some reason, I'm drawn to the ones with the kids in them. Not sure why, since I'm more or less decided to be childfree. Regardless, I'm hooked.

So fess up...does anyone love these books? Let's share!

I like reading romance stories, but I like them when they are more subtle. Nothing like those love at first sight stories. I just really like love stories where two characters are kinda at odds with each other and then later grow to understand each other and fall in love. Pride and Prejudice is still one of my favorite love stories. Don't judge me

(That Darcy, he'd be begging for mercy when I was done with him...

I used to love them. They were my escape. I had hundreds of them, but I gave them to a community share programme. But now life is a little busy so not too much time for them. Once in a while though when I want some escape from too much "realism" I will read one.

• 3 months later...

Archived