Adult learning classes?...Anyone hear of such a thing? Like a after HS , HS

Im 23 now....I recieved my High School Diploma back in 06 but even then...I didn't feel like I was up to level with all the other students who recieved theres that day. Heres the thing, I have always struggled in math and sometimes history and science, so my parent signed me up for special ed back when I was in middle school 6grade-8th...I felt like I was retarded, I was on add medicine and I had such a hard time paying attention even with the add meds. I started falling asleep during class while I was on ridelyn and then got switched to adderal and I was just very distracted even more than I was when I wasn't on it. Anyways, I floated through school with low grades and graduated with a low low low gpa. I can't believe I even graduated. I feel like I needed to learn more and always felt like I needed catching up, was too proud to ask anyone for help or maybe embarrassed because I was always behind in everything when it came to math and science....

Anyways, does anyone else feel like this, like they aren't smart enough to go to college? I feel like I graduated HS when I wasn't ready and now feel like a incomplete adult. I don't know what to do. I do not want to waste money on college when I don't even remember much from what I learned prior. Is there some type of catching up HS for adults? Anyone know of anything, Im seriously struggling....I have looked online and see things that may help me improve my memory but other than that....I don't really want to be online, I want to be in person with a teacher who can answer my questions. I feel like my memory is really bad, I have trouble still to this day focusing on stories people are telling, politics, math situations, directions especially. I hate asking for directions. I have to mapquest it and even then I still need extra help finding where Im going..

Thanks for reading, I prob wasted my time posting seeing as most of you prob aren't like me or feel like I do. But if there is someone on here who can help, Id appriciate it..

Community colleges offer remedial classes in all of the basic subjects necessary to move forward. Unfortunately, some schools do not offer credit for these classes. Additionally, they will usually hold placement testing to determine what class would best fit your current comprehension of a particular subject. I think you'd be surprised how many graduating high school students have such a poor understanding of basic algebra and reading comprehension. You should look at the local community colleges and talk to a registration adviser, as the Fall semester will be underway in a few months. Ask the adviser about their Student Services options; if you have a learning disability they'll assist you with tutoring, grant you additional time for testing, etc...

Thank you Thuss...Ive filed for financial aid and have already taken 2 placement test in the last 2 years...never finished my registering because I never finished my Fasfa until today...Hopeing to be called with good news but who knows..I hear its like pulling teethe to get accepted.

Community college will be a great stepping stone to college. You will learn so much, it will increase your confidence and you can get guidance from your teachers about what you need to work on and ask for extra help etc. Make sure that if you do ever go to college you know what you want to be after it's finished. Otherwise it's a lot of money just to go to college to figure out what you want along the way.

Delicious, your writing ability is excellent. No problem there. I agree with the idea of taking remedial classes in math. Have you spoke to a counselor at your local community college yet? You can ask the counselor how long it will take to be accepted into the program. You clearly have the intellectual ability to accomplish the challenge. They may be a waiting list for the classes you want...be patient. You have a great potential to grow.

Do you have any specific college courses in mind? Try contacting the head of faculty at the college to see what entry pathways they have for adult students. They will most likely know what specific courses can help you qualify, and they might even run their own college eligibility programs.

Hi. I agree Community College would be a great place to start. Also you mentioned receiving special education services in school. That isn't anything to be ashamed of. It is far more common than you think. Also parents just can't sign you up for it, you must have gotten a formal evaluation to document that there was some type of a learning challenge in order to qualify for special education services under the law.

"Special Edcation" services are given to students for a variety of reasons. Some reasons can be as mild as a learning disability and others are more severe disabilities. It doesn't imply someone has mental retardation or a severe, visible disability.

There are students in some of the most prestigious colleges and universities that had Special Education Services/IEP's in high school. With that said, if you have any type of documented disability or learning challenge you should be sure to talk to the college's "disability services" office. They can privately arrange for you to have certain support and reasonable accomdations available so you can do you best in college. For example some students with mild learning issues or attention deficits qualify for extended time on tests and tests in separate locations. These accomdations do not make college any "easier" for a person with a disability. They still have to complete the same exact tasks as their peers, they just do so in a way that is fair to them based on their disability. For example, you would not expect a blind college student to read their college textbook without having it translated into Braille first. You can't expect a person with a learning, processing, or attention disability to have a fair shot at doing their best on their exam without extended time. The content of the exam still remains the same though.

So no matter where you go to college, be aware that whether it is Harvard University or your local community college, ALL of them have students with various learning disabilities that attend. All of them, by law, must offer accomodations for students with disabilities. It is also nothing like high school- in college everything is very private regarding disabilities and you are not labeled as "special education". I know that label can come with a stigma due to society's sterotypes and intolerance and bullying in school. It's really a shame because special education services can make a huge difference in a child's life and ability to learn. Learning Disabilities also do not speak to a person's intelligence- they are more indicative of a person's learning style and the way they process things and what they need to learn at their best potential.

I think remedial courses in writing and math and in college learning strategies would be very good for you- just be sure to also take advantage of the college's disability services when you take them., otherwise you are not giving yourself a chance to do your very best.

Try to start on a clean slate. Leave the negative high school experiences behind and give this your best shot.

Belladonna, thank you so much for being none judgmental and trying to help me. That actually brought a tear to my eye because it can be so hard and it was very hard in high school seeing all the kids succeed and seemed to pick things up so much faster than I ever could. I was so scared to do problems on the chalk board in front of everyone ...I do appriciate your response, I am just waiting to see if the government will help me or not...So we will see..=) Ill definetly ask about there disability programs.

Archived