Why do people delete me as a friend on Facebook?

universalsigh

So I've been noticing something lately, and it kind of bothers me actually. Sometimes I'll notice someone I used to be friends with on Facebook is no longer friends with me on there. Sometimes I don't really care (maybe they just want to remove people that aren't really friends), but sometimes I'm surprised by it.

Sometimes they'll be girls I know and that seems to bother me more than when guys delete me. For example, I was friends with this girl I went to school with on there, and I kind of liked her but she had a boyfriend so I never made a move on her. But if she posted pictures, I would take a look. I mean I'm not stalking her, that's just what you do on Facebook, right? It's not like I was obsessed, but yeah I'd look sometimes. Is it possible she could tell somehow and found it creepy so she deleted me?

But ok, that was fine, but now today I noticed this girl that I knew somewhat well has deleted me. She was roommates with a friend of mine (definitely Facebook friend worthy). Put it this way, if I saw her on the street I would fully expect a conversation to catch up with her. I would look at her pictures sometimes too but now I'm no longer friends with her on there. She's still friends with our mutual friends though...What the heck?

Can these people tell I look at their pictures and then decide to put a stop to it? I feel so creepy now, but I mean, isn't that what everyone does on Facebook? I'm not trying to contact these people or anything, and I thought profile/picture viewing was private.

Facebook says that the friends that show up on the left side of your profile are based on the events you attend together and public comments you make to each other, but I think it's more complex. I think it also factors in how often you look at their profile/pictures and vice versa. I wish I had known that before I unintentionally freaked out all the random acquaintances I know...

Anyway, just wanted to say that. I'm not sure why it bothers me so much, but this bothered me even more because I thought I knew this most recent girl who deleted me pretty well. The fact that she went out of her way to remove me as a friend stings a bit. Oh well...

What do you say in your status updates? I've deleted guys who make kind of sexist or negative comments. Like women are stupid, or he hates america (he is an immigrant here). Even people from his own culture were telling him, 'if you don't like it, go home.' i didn't like all of the negativity. i deleted him.

Did you talk to those people that deleted you as a friend often?? Usually I like to keep my closest friends and family on facebook and if I find myself not talking to a certain group of people within a certain time frame and months pass without talking, I will normally delete them as a friend because I personally feel that they're just wasting space on my profile. It's nothing personal really but I don't like people adding me as a friend then we don't communicate. A lot of people from elementary school through college add me all the time, mostly people I weren't really close with back then, so I never see a point in them adding me, I usually delete these people just as soon as they add me.

I also delete people if they have annoying status messages that bother me like Annie24 pointed out. Usually I get annoyed when people just flood the news feed with dumb pointless status messages constantly..

It's quite possible that it's from status updates.

I just had a good friend from high school delete me, but I know why. It's because I made a bunch of jokes about the rapture and God (he is a conservative Christian.) I also post a lot of pro-Democrat stuff, and he's Republican, so yeah, no surprise there!

One girl deleted me after I didn't attend a bunch of events she invited me to. I've had a pretty chaotic year, to be honest, and wanted to go, but never found the time. I was kind of hurt by it. I supported her cause, I just didn't have the time to go.

I rarely post anything to Facebook. A picture on a rare occasion, and never status updates. And even if I did, she could just hide them. I can't see how many friends she has, but I imagine its a couple hundred (which is pretty normal). And yeah, she definitely still has a profile, because I came accross the option to add her as I was in the "find friends" section. And like I said, I definitely know her well enough to be friends on Facebook. I'm not sure why she and a few other people have gone out of their way to delete me as a friend. I'm pretty sure nothing happened in person to make them distance themselves from me.

If you're not relevant in their life anymore, nor they yours, then it's natural for people to delete you. Don't take it personally.

Yeah I mean I won't lose sleep over it, but I think everyone has some friends that they barely know on Facebook. And I definitely KNOW her, plus we have mutual friends. And the fact that she consciously decided that I wasn't even worthy to be one of the 200 people she knows is crazy to me. I think I just feel uncomfortable with the idea of Facebook overall...

I rarely post anything to Facebook. A picture on a rare occasion, and never status updates. And even if I did, she could just hide them. I can't see how many friends she has, but I imagine its a couple hundred (which is pretty normal). And yeah, she definitely still has a profile, because I came accross the option to add her as I was in the "find friends" section. And like I said, I definitely know her well enough to be friends on Facebook. I'm not sure why she and a few other people have gone out of their way to delete me as a friend. I'm pretty sure nothing happened in person to make them distance themselves from me.

But do you talk to these people often on facebook and in real life? If you don't communicate with them often, that maybe the reason they decided to delete you. I do it all of the time.. Don't take it personally.

I think it's more of an issue that someone takes personally, a meaningless friend deletion on an obscure social networking site from someone who they barely know.

Some people especially teenagers like to have large numbers of friends because it's like a status indicator of sorts. Me, I've defriended several people who once friend requested me and then I'd go on FB and be reading things about people who are meaningless to me and I don't want to spend my limited time reading useless drivel so they're gone.

Its safe to say that if you post lots of meaningless crap you're going to be subject to deletion.

• 2 weeks later...

Some people like to have hundreds or even thousands of friends on their list as "friends" and some only prefer to have very close friends or they may delete you for something you post on your own profile or even comments on other people posts, etc

Looking on their pictures is normal as long as you didn't leave any comments they may object to, I know of 3d party apps available on FB that tells you who is stalking you; it logs the people who open your profile and photos and gives you a list; so if you are looking at someone's profile daily or more than once daily and they think it's not normal because you are not close and you are not trying to leave comments or interact with them it may look like stalking..

I may add that if you play games on FB, some games post a lot of trash to your friends news feed and walls, some people may just delete you for it.

I, too, delete people if I never talk to them. I don't see a point in them being there. I really try to make an effort to talk to all my contacts from time to time, whether it's through messages, posting on their wall, or commenting their statuses or pictures. People often make fun of me for how few friends I have on Facebook, but I just tell them I only add and keep people who are REAL friends. Adding people just to have more friends is kind of pointless. And I usually don't go and delete a friend specifically, I'll go and delete 10-20 at a time when I do it. So don't take it personally if someone deleted you..that might have been what they're doing.

• 3 weeks later...

I know of 3d party apps available on FB that tells you who is stalking you; it logs the people who open your profile and photos and gives you a list; so if you are looking at someone's profile daily or more than once daily and they think it's not normal because you are not close and you are not trying to leave comments or interact with them it may look like stalking..

Facebook does not offer any kind of way to track who visits your profile, and it is against FB's policy for any application to track profile visits. There are many applications out there that CLAIM to track who visits your profile, but most if not all of them are fakes or have some odd catch, like some trackers can only track people that have the tracking application installed, so it would be useless unless a ton of people you know added it to their profiles. In the past there have been some applications that got around FB's security and were able to track profiles, but to my knowledge they are quickly removed and the security hole is fixed in short order.

Long story short, I don't believe that the OP should have to worry about people being able to see what hes looking at or visiting.

• 1 year later...

I think its just that some people like to use fb for their close friends and family only. I used to add a lot of people from high school in the hope that we would reconnect and be friends again, but I never heard from a lot of them, so I did a mass sweep and deleted people I never interracted with. They never spoke to me either on fb, so I figured they wouldne mind and it would be easier on them. Some people just waant to delete the people they dont talk to or wouldnt meet up and have a friendship anyway, and for some its some sort of cleansing. Dont take it personally, this girl might be the same. If you are upset though, why not send her an email, asking her why? It could be as simple as what I said.

The less you post the more people feel no connection to you so your actually contributing to your own demise. Also, if people have a lot of friends they will do a general clear out of ' friends' and single women add single men but if they have no contact/ no interest in someone they will delete because they wonder what's the point of having you there. Its nothing personal.

Facebook does not offer any kind of way to track who visits your profile, and it is against FB's policy for any application to track profile visits. There are many applications out there that CLAIM to track who visits your profile, but most if not all of them are fakes or have some odd catch, like some trackers can only track people that have the tracking application installed, so it would be useless unless a ton of people you know added it to their profiles. In the past there have been some applications that got around FB's security and were able to track profiles, but to my knowledge they are quickly removed and the security hole is fixed in short order.

Long story short, I don't believe that the OP should have to worry about people being able to see what hes looking at or visiting.

Right, that is how I understand it as well.

Question: how does a person know when they are deleted? Is it that when you go to look at their profile and in your friends pile, they aren't there? Or do you actually receive a notification when someone deletes you?

I have a Facebook account but rarely use it. Just wondering.

Question: how does a person know when they are deleted? Is it that when you go to look at their profile and in your friends pile, they aren't there? Or do you actually receive a notification when someone deletes you?

You do not get notified when someone deletes you, its as you suspect people look at their friends list and the person who deleted you is no longer there.

• 4 weeks later...
know of 3d party apps available on FB that tells you who is stalking you; it logs the people who open your profile and photos and gives you a list; so if you are looking at someone's profile daily or more than once daily and they think it's not normal because you are not close and you are not trying to leave comments or interact with them it may look like stalking..

These apps are fake.

• 3 weeks later...

I've noticed 2 people have deleted me recently. One was a guy i met at a party over a year ago and we havent really had any interaction since. Another was a guy who appears to have taken down his personal facebook page, but replaced it with a professional page. he hasn't asked me to be on his professional page, but i moved away so that makes sense too.

Archived