Ask For Advice
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When to tell you're parents your dating someone?

rockerstar
    Bronze Member

When to tell you're parents your dating someone?

So how long do you wait to tell your parents that you're dating someone? I've been seeing someone now for the past 3 weeks, but each time I've gone out I've lied to my parents and told them I'm catching up with girlfriends (I still live at home with my parents). I've been told to put it off as long as possible till I sort out what we feel for each other without getting their judgements clouding my emotions.
    But I had another date last night and he said he could see this continuing. And as time goes by its going to be harder to keep lying/disguising it.
    So...when's the right time?
    Thanks for your response's in advance.

Stay_home
    My parents know but I don't talk much about that person or wish to answer many questions at the moment. Nor am I interested in having them meet just yet. It's still very early and I have a quite a bit of questions that I want to get answered before I start the meet/greet. I think that's a good move on your part to wait a while before you start introducing.

ladyninja30
    When you feel ready to do it. I finally had to tell mine when I just kinda decided not to come home one night.....which happened in around 3 weeks. He ended up meeting my parents sooner than I had intended though. I wanted to wait another month but him and I crossed paths with my parents one day so that just took care of that. LOL

HeartGoesOn
    Why do you have to lie to your parents? At 23, you're an adult, and able to chose who you date.

rosephase
    You are 23 years old. Don't lie to them. Tell them you are going on a date. You don't have to introduce them or anything until you feel like you are in a relaitonship that you care about, but why lie? That just makes it harder in the long run. You are an adult what are you scared they are going to say?

Shudder
    i typically don't tell my parents who i'm dating early on because they are super nosey and think every girl i am going out or even friends with is my future wife.

so i try avoid unecessary drama

rockerstar
    Bronze Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rosephase [Register to see the link]
    You are 23 years old. Don't lie to them. Tell them you are going on a date. You don't have to introduce them or anything until you feel like you are in a relaitonship that you care about, but why lie? That just makes it harder in the long run. You are an adult what are you scared they are going to say?
    Well for starters...he is not my nationality. So I know they won't be happy in regards to that. And also as Shudder said, they'll think that he is my potential future husband. They have this naive view on things. They both only dated each other and hooked up with each other (i.e. married) in that respect.
    Oh no I don't plan on introducing him to my parents just yet either...ideally I'd like to wait well, well into the future for that. Its just mentioning "hey, I'm going on a date".
    And then there's going to be all those awkward conversations of "don't sleep with him. You should only sleep with someone after your married. Have you done anything? He only has guys living at his house?? I'm not happy you spending time there alone with him." etc etc.

ladyninja30
    While I agree with not lying because we are adults. My parents are super nosey and I had no intention of saying anything till I was sure. If I'm gonna put up with the 20 million questions from my crazy asian mom, I needed to know he was worth my time first.

PaintWithLight
    Quote Originally Posted by rockerstar [Register to see the link]
    Well for starters...he is not my nationality. So I know they won't be happy in regards to that. And also as Shudder said, they'll think that he is my potential future husband. They have this naive view on things. They both only dated each other and hooked up with each other (i.e. married) in that respect.
    Oh no I don't plan on introducing him to my parents just yet either...ideally I'd like to wait well, well into the future for that. Its just mentioning "hey, I'm going on a date".
    And then there's going to be all those awkward conversations of "don't sleep with him. You should only sleep with someone after your married. Have you done anything? He only has guys living at his house?? I'm not happy you spending time there alone with him." etc etc.
    I am just curious. What is his nationality and yours?

25something
    Quote Originally Posted by ladyninja30 [Register to see the link]
    While I agree with not lying because we are adults. My parents are super nosey and I had no intention of saying anything till I was sure. If I'm gonna put up with the 20 million questions from my crazy asian mom, I needed to know he was worth my time first.
    LOL ladyninja30 you're funny, hahah....Yeah some parents are super nosy, unfortunately my whole entire family is nosy, and its f8ken annoying. It doesn't matter how old you're sometimes its just super duper annoying when people get all nosy about your love life. I usually wait until I'm comfortable enough and I know for sure I want to date the person which may take up to 3 months sometimes lol, then I'll introduce them to my parents.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Top Threads
Do commitment phobes realise they have a problem? Or care about how they hurt pe
I've been reading a lot about commitment phobes/emotionally unavailable people lately and the story usually starts the same. These people pursue you
Is he for real or am I being duped?
Been OLDing for a while now. I saw a profile possibly a year ago, maybe year and a half, that would pop up from time to time. Forward to today
Unhealthy relationship patterns and commitment phobia.
Some of you have probably seen a thread I wrote a couple of days ago about commitment phobes/emotionally unavailable people. I wanted to get to the
Why do men assume the woman is more invested?
Spent Friday night with the guy I've been dating. texted over the weekend. he emails me last night about how much he cares about me and wants to
Online Dating Descripton Sets Off Red Flags For Me, But Maybe Not for Others?
I have someone who has been giving me attention with Online Dating (yes, I thought I'd give it a gentle go. Dip my toe in the water even though I was
What can I do to look younger?
I'm 23 years old, 230lbs and 6'3. People often seem to think that I'm 30 years old but it doesn't make sense to me. I don't have five o ' clock
Need some advice on this plz
This is the short version but, here it is. Hung out with this woman 2x over a 2-3 week period back at the end of July. The 2nd time we hung out.. We

Expert Advice
Featured Threads
Don Juan President
I'm the president of Don Juans. I know all the top moves to make with females and I've had sex so many times. If a man needs advice ask right here.
Talk Dirty to Me!
OMGosh this is rampant. I have been serial dating in hopes of finding a long term relationship. BTW, nn the past two weeks I have been doing really
Is it wrong that I don't drive my parent's car to drive myself places as of now?
I am 20 and I have my driver's license but I don't have my own car yet so I have to rely on my parents and the bus to get me places but my parents
Friendship changes, how to deal?
Hello All, My friend and I are close. We consider our friendship like a brother & sister type. Lately, I've been noticing he has been treating me
Online Dating Descripton Sets Off Red Flags For Me, But Maybe Not for Others?
I have someone who has been giving me attention with Online Dating (yes, I thought I'd give it a gentle go. Dip my toe in the water even though I was
Help
Hi, I'm 37 and I have been with my partner for about 5 years and we have been married just under a year. About 5 months ago my now wife had an
Did you ever get over your first love? Post your stories!
Hello, I've been feeling kind of down lately because I always hear people saying that you never get over your first love, or you'll always compare
Ask For Advice