Thread: He says he loves me yet wants to be single

He says he loves me yet wants to be single

When I look into his eyes I see that he truly loves me and I feel so incredibly lucky to have someone like him. Our relationship had been rocky in the past but now it was so much different; for the first time I felt like he really did care for and love me, but it was not until last week that I began to question it. Last week he broke up with me on the pretenses of him wanting to be single. I say pretenses only because Iím a girl who is scared and hurt and doesnít want to believe all that he has told me. He says that he wants to work on himself; to become a better person and grow. I understand that completely and have no choice but to let him go. Words cannot describe how much I love him and thatís one of the reasons why I am posting this. I donít know what to think or how to feel. I would like to possibly date but am too scared of rejection to even bring it up with him. In my irrational girl mind I see it as him wanting to be with other girls. Though it is completely understandable the idea of him searching for other girls just bothers the hell out of me due to him saying he loves me. I guess it is just something I will never understand. I want to stay really close with him (he is my best friend) yet Iím terrified of the day he gets another girl. Can anyone give some advice on what I should do?

Honestly, I would just let him be.

He's the one who mentioned that he wanted to break up with you. To be honest, I think there's more to it than he lets on. However, if you do eventually want to start dating other people, then you are free to do so (considering you are no longer together).

However, I think it's best to just give yourself time on your own to sort out your feelings.

Hang in there.

mad rabbits
    Gold Member
    I want to stay really close with him (he is my best friend) yet I’m terrified of the day he gets another girl. Can anyone give some advice on what I should do?

well, don't do this ie try to stay his friend. That never works and always ends badly for the dumpee (there are countless threads about it here)

It's not unreasonable to think he wants to go pursue other girls. I mean, duh of course that's what he's going to do. That doesn't mean he didn't once love you though.

Someone can love you, but wanting to be WITH you, and to make you theirs is a totally different story. When someone tells you something that you don't want to hear, you must accept it.

Don't stay friends or hang around. You will only get hurt. I've done it. Many people here have too. It always ends in disaster. You're better off cutting ALL contact so that you are free to be with someone that will want to be exclusive to you. Read this thread - [Register to see the link]

Platinum Member
    I'm sorry to say it, but if he loved you he would be with you. Period! This nonsense about finding himself is just that, nonsense. If you love someone, you would never risk losing them by taking some time off.
    By telling you he still loves you, he is stringing you along, so you will not move on. Please do not waste anymore time with this guy and find someone who loves you and wants you.

Top Threads
20 years since the break up, ex just contacted me
I started dating my first boyfriend when I was 16, and he was 18 He was my first in a lot of ways, and we were very much in love. He asked me to
Reminded of 'Enotalone' site when I was feeling bereft back in 2010
Stumbled across my posts from 2010 from a 2009 break up. I felt my pain reading the long post! I'd just split up with a girlfriend of 2 years and
I actually think I have to break no contact...
Hey guys, Broke up with my ex a few months ago. LC up until a month and a half ago, and the last time we really communicated was about 3 weeks ago;
12 years later - how do I learn to forgive?
Apologies- this is really long. Short version - Broke up with my first love 12 years ago as our lives were going in different directions, he went
can my ex really change? Should I wait for him to change?
A few months ago I fell inlove with a guy And everything was perfect. He was perfect. It's been 7 months since we broke up but I'm still inlove with
Do the holidays make anyone else miss their ex?
I just wanted to share that since it is Thanksgiving, it can be tough to enjoy the holidays this year when you recently lose the one you loved. I've
Was it an over reaction?
After dating a guy for 9 months he was offered work an hour and a half away after not being able to find work where he currently lived. We had both

online counseling
Featured Threads
Need feedback, criticism from the men here *long*
I want to vent cuz this is bugging the hell out of me me even though I should be happy to move on. I want the perspective of men here because I feel
Should I be concernd about my ex's guy being around my son?
I was married to the girl of my dreams for 16 years until she met a guy in a cooking chatroom. The question I have is can I trust this guy with our
Struggling to figure out if she likes me or not?
I really fancy her and I still struggle with all the attraction sign things. I chose to sit at the table that I knew she'd be, because her friend
So having dinner with my ex tonight.
Recap: We dated nearly two years. I dumped him by email -- which was crappy of me, but I don't do conflict well. He was never able to say he loved
2 dates but now a new girl on the scene.
Been a while since I posted here, had a break from dating really, off all OLD and just thought I'd let fate do its thing. about a month ago I got
What are the chances that she could have gotten pregnant?
I met up with an ex from 5 years ago and in the heat of the moment we had unprotected sex. Now here are the facts: - She is 27, I'm 29. - She
Marrying someone with different level of religion understanding
Say, you're an orthodox religious man and your potential spouse has the same religion as you but with much lower level of practice and knowledge