my maltese barks like crazy and cant get her to stop.

Sweetkisses22

My maltese is almost 6 years old and she barks like crazy. She has always been like this but it seems she's gotten worse. She barks if she hears me coming down the stares she barks when she hears someone walk past the house or if she even hears someone talking down the block. I can't bring friends over because the second they come in she barks like crazy and wont stop. Even when they pet her she keeps barking and barking. She just doesn't stop. When I let her go outside on the deck she barks for no reason and its like ongoing to where the neighbors probably hate her. She's suck a small dog but she just doesn't shut up. Its like a high pitched bark too. My mom said she drives her crazy cause she can't sleep sometimes from the barking. I love my little baby so much but idk what to do anymore. She just wont listen when we tell her to stop. My other dog is not like that at all. She's quiet. We tried buying that barking device thats suppose to make them stop barking but it doesn't work. She just never shuts up.

The barking device didn't work with mine, but a citronella collar did. They get a spray of the smell they don't like every time they bark. With the first barking device, you can't just turn it on. You have to train them. Tell them "no' also, and then they will start to associate the sound with "no". Do you ever discipline her, by telling her "no" in a stern voice and squirting her with water? Sometimes people say "no" to little dogs in a sweet voice or try to reason withthem "stop that, Munchkin," etc. Don't pet her or hold her to "reassure her" when she barks because that tells her she is doing good. Also, are you with her most of the time? She could also just be terribly spoiled as well. Malteses are vocal little dogs, but it could be that she was never trained.

Have you ever taken her to basic obedience? Some people think its silly to do so with a tiny dog, but it helps reframe you as the person that is the one to listen to, versus a spoiled dog running the show.

No when she barks my mom screams at her and she gets a little scared so she knows she's doing something wrong. And when I yell at her she does the same. But its like she just craves attention and constantly barks to get it. We can't afford.classes for her I wish I could put her into some though. Where did you get that collor? I may try that.

No when she barks my mom screams at her and she gets a little scared so she knows she's doing something wrong. And when I yell at her she does the same. But its like she just craves attention and constantly barks to get it. We can't afford.classes for her I wish I could put her into some though. Where did you get that collor? I may try that.

btw, she barks because you will eventually break down and give her attention and you have taught her that

Don't YELL at her. A firm "NO" in a stern and low voice is what she needs. Shrieking at her scares her and makes her bark more. If you can afford to feed the dog, you can afford classes. At Petsmart I think its $109 or so for an 8 session course - so that's about $13 bucks per class. And sometimes you can get coupons. You would have class with a couple other dogs. Or there might be other dog training places that are recommended. But at this point - you either have to put up with you and your mom shrieking or you can try to learn to communicate with the dog better to get the results you want. Some dogs need to learn how to listen, if that makes sense. btw, the collar runs $50-100 depending on where you go. its battery operated. They have it at pet stores but you can get it online cheaper. Wondering if the device would be too heavy for your dog, however, if she is 6-8 lbs. if she is bigger, like 12+ it would be okay.

Also, have you ever told her she was good if she DID be quiet? POSITIVE reinforcement and rewarding her for doing good with patting, soft voices, etc and happy expressions and small treats does wonders.

Also, instead of shrieking at her, have you given her a command, like 'sit?" Sometimes it distracts the dog from barking and gets them to do something 'good". So then they can learn a POSITIVE behavior.

Does she have a safe place? - a crate where she can run into if she is scared and that she gets fed in?

And do you ever take her for walks, etc.? She could be bored.

Watch The Dog Whisper He has some helpful tips.

But I will say, you need to establish yourself as the pack leader. Right now, the dog is in charge. Be stern with your dog. Stand over her until she becomes submissive. Hard to explain if you havent ever seen Cesar Milans magic LOL

And try taking your dog outside more often. Maybe a good run outside will wear her out.

Trust me we have done the "no, sit, lay" she just doesn't listen. When I say no in a sturn voice she just barks again cause she thinks im playing with her. Even when I take her for walks she barks at people walking past us lol. She barks for no reason just to get attention. My mom has stopped paying attention to her and tells her to stop barking so maybe shed get it but she still doesn't. When we say no to her she just barks more. Its weird because she listens when we call her she knows not to pee in the house. She's very smart but when it comes to the barkig its just so annoying.

You are not communicating well with eachother somehow and that is why training would be good. Classes train the person to communicate with the dog better, not just the dog. She wants to come when called and wants to go outside to go potty because these are favorable experiences for her. She learns that good things happen. Perhaps that you need to take one more step when asking her to sit instead of bark, etc. Maybe you are sternly telling her sit, etc. and she thinks you are scolding her. If you call her to another part of the room and ask her to sit for a treat or sometimes have the treat and sometimes not not ask her to sit and reward her with petting and positive words, she will look at it positvely and eventually just start sitting instead. But you can't tell her "lay down" or 'sit" in a scolding way. Distract her.

• 5 years later...

Well, as the neighbour of a barking little cur that never shuts up, I can tell you that your neighbours do not appreciate her attitude

Get her voice box removed or get the collar that stifles her bark to a mere whisper and let your neighbours enjoy the summer in their yards without the distraction from chillaxin.

If a bylaw officer gets a number of complaints from different neighbours then you could end up being court ordered to put the electric shock collar on her so maybe talk to a veterinarian about some things you can try.

Archived