I live alone in my apartment. I don't have roommates but I do have neighbors above, and to each side of my apartment. None below since I'm on the bottom floor of a two-story complex building.

My problem is... I can't even type without my neighbors hearing me! I don't type loud (at least I don't think so), but they can hear me and they sometimes bang the walls or ceiling when I type. Once, when it was 3 am, a girl shouted from outside my closed window, "HEY!" in an annoyed tone.

It's not fair I rented an apartment so that I would get privacy, as opposed to living in the dorms. (I go to college)

What's worse, I can't even talk on the phone without my neighbors hearing me...

And, being a 20-year old male student, my hormones make me really horny. I want to masturbate, but my neighbors can hear me doing that too! I tried to masturbate but they just kept dropping stuff on my ceiling so that I would stop.

I don't know what to do I tried the rubber pads to put on the feet of my bed, but they didn't work

I asked my friends if they're having the same problems at their apartments, but they've never heard of people hearing other people type... through walls.

So I came on here to see if anyone had any advice

My problem is... I can't even type without my neighbors hearing me! I don't type loud (at least I don't think so), but they can hear me and they sometimes bang the walls or ceiling when I type. Once, when it was 3 am, a girl shouted from outside my closed window, "HEY!" in an annoyed tone.

This seems a little....extreme....even if the place you're living in is poorly constructed. (...and I have lived in some pretty crappy apartments)

Which leads me to ask -- have your neighbors complained to you about these things or are you connecting random noises they're making to what you're doing when it might not have anything to do with you at all?

This is so sad. Go to the leasing office and tell them what's going on and ask for another apartment. I lived in a place where the walls were super thin. I was on the top floor and heard everything below. Putting down carpet with padding reduced most of the noise, but I also heard lovemaking and conversations below. I ended up staying because the lovemaking was so infrequent and the conversation/parties were only on the weekends. Finally a fellow resident threatened me and I told the rental office and they let me move to a sister property. As them can you [a] Move to a sister property or To another unit. Let them know how much you like the place etc etc yadda yadda [butter them up] and ask for assistance in location a more suitable location.

@blkbarbie: Well I can't move to another unit because all our units are built like this. The sister complex is probably the same too.

@shes2smart: Well, I thought about this too, but then the noises became coincidental. Like I'd start typing in my room, then my upstairs neighbor would go out on his porch and play drums (or something that sounded like drums), then when I'd stop typing, he'd stop playing the drums, then when I started typing again, he would start again.

Also, it would be 3 AM at night, and I'd try to play a PC videogame (which requires lots of mouseclicking), and my upstairs neighbor would making "tapping noises" (no idea what those are). The chances that my neighbors were silent the whole time, then only started making the noises when I started clicking away with my mouse are kind of hard. Especially since it's 3 AM. Chances are, I woke them up with my clicking (HOW?!) and they wanted to let me know by making the tapping noises.

No one's ever approached me about my "noise-making" since well, I'm a single young dude who is soft-spoken, shy, and really I don't leave my apartment much.

Thank you for all your replies in such a short time. Do you guys think I should try randomly approaching my neighbors and asking them if they can hear anything?

If none of your neighbors or your complex's management/your landlord have told you there's a problem, then you are making a HUGE leap to think there is a problem.

Any place so poorly constructed that a neighbor can actually hear the sounds of a computer keyboard or mouse clicking in the next unit over probably isn't safe to live in. Part of living in an apartment is that you will hear bits of other peoples lives from time to time. Most reasonable people expect this and accept it as part of apartment life. It's when people start making a lot of noise at weird times - for example, your drum-playing neighbor decides to channel the spirit of link removedat 3am on some random weekday - that's when people get bent out of shape.

You can certainly ask the people you share a wall or ceiling/floor with if you are disturbing them, but with what you've said here, I'm guessing the responses will be more along the lines of, "I haven't heard anything....well other than that guy who thinks he's Cozy Powell...you don't play drums do you?"

I think you are trying to connect random things other people are doing to what you are doing when there is likely no connection at all. For the most part (and I lived in 11 different places, with 9 of them being apartments, from the ages of 23 to 42), people are too busy going about their own business to really notice much of what other people are doing.

• 6 years later...
I live alone in my apartment. I don't have roommates but I do have neighbors above, and to each side of my apartment. None below since I'm on the bottom floor of a two-story complex building.

It's not fair I rented an apartment so that I would get privacy, as opposed to living in the dorms. (I go to college)

What's worse, I can't even talk on the phone without my neighbors hearing me...

And, being a 20-year old male student, my hormones make me really horny. I want to masturbate, but my neighbors can hear me doing that too! I tried to masturbate but they just kept dropping stuff on my ceiling so that I would stop.

I don't know what to do I tried the rubber pads to put on the feet of my bed, but they didn't work

I asked my friends if they're having the same problems at their apartments, but they've never heard of people hearing other people type... through walls.

So I came on here to see if anyone had any advice

Hey, man. Please tell me if you're still having this problem. I think I'm in a similar situation, and was wondering if we could share some advice.

There are things I've learned, and I'm sure you've learned them too. I hope this reaches you...

Hey, man. Please tell me if you're still having this problem. I think I'm in a similar situation, and was wondering if we could share some advice.

There are things I've learned, and I'm sure you've learned them too. I hope this reaches you...

This thread is 7 years old. Most likely he is no longer in the same place.

Archived