What Does He Mean When He Asks The Price Of .....

lerira

dresses, cosmetics, shoes, etc.

The other day, we were at the mall and when we walked by a cosmetics store, he asked, "Isn't that your favorite makeup?" I said yes, then we walked past it.

Whenever I send him links of dresses I like so that I could get his opinion, he'll ask, "How much does it cost?"

Another time he said, "Well, we'll go to the mall later on and get you those things you want." That never happened.

My boyfriend does pay for every single date and whatever activity I want to do, he agrees to it and pays. I don't force him to it and most of the times, he wants to do a lot of activities. I definitely wouldn't want to force more upon him but....

It baffles me when he asks for the price of things. What does he mean? Does he want to buy me those things and is waiting for me to say, "Buy them for me?" when he asks the price or is this pure curiosity?

I just feel like after looking at the dresses I send him and him asking me the price of them a gazillion times, he should already know by now what price range I'm talking about.

I should ask him but I'm embarrassed and ashamed.

Any ideas?

P.S. I asked one of my friends and she said whenever her guy asks her the price of things, it's most likely because he wants to buy her that item.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think you're over-thinking this. "How much does X cost?" is probably the most common question that comes up in casual conversation while shopping.

Also--just because he offers to pay for every date that does not mean you need to be passive and let that stand. I think there's something to be said for being assertive when it comes to this area.

Yeah usually if a guy asks the price hes either just curious, or he is wanting to buy something like it or similar.

Okay but if I tell him, "Yes, I want this," then it might look bad on me- "Oh gee, on top of me paying for everything, she's asking for this."

I feel like if he does want to buy it for me, he should say so directly, right?

I think you're over-thinking this. "How much does X cost?" is probably the most common question that comes up in casual conversation while shopping.

Really? But he asks this often....and my price ranges are always up to $100. He should know the pattern by now.

Also--just because he offers to pay for every date that does not mean you need to be passive and let that stand. I think there's something to be said for being assertive when it comes to this area.

Well, alright but most of the stuff he wants to do is expensive. A typical weekend for us is $100. He knows that I don't have that money to spend.

I have found it is mostly curiosity because they do not know the price.

But it just upsets me! I feel like he's dangling carrots in front of me! I want him to stop! It's either he buys or STOPS asking me! This is really getting annoying to me beyond belief! Especially since all of my girlfriends say their guy asks them that with the intention of buying it.

But it just upsets me! I feel like he's dangling carrots in front of me! I want him to stop! It's either he buys or STOPS asking me! This is really getting annoying to me beyond belief! Especially since all of my girlfriends say their guy asks them that with the intention of buying it.

Sounds like you're expecting him to buy them for you. Just ask him in a lighthearted way. "Haha, why do you always ask that?"

Or just stop sending pictures of stuff you want and buy them yourself.

Either he's asking just to make conversation and to show he listens to you when you speak (the make-up at the mall) or asking the cost info to help you decide whether something is worth buying (the links to the dresses.) If he wanted to buy you clothes and make-up and has no problem paying for all of your dates, doesn't sound like he's the type of guy who needs your "permission" to buy you things, so I doubt he's waiting for you to ask.

Sounds like you're expecting him to buy them for you. Just ask him in a lighthearted way. "Haha, why do you always ask that?"

Or just stop sending pictures of stuff you want and buy them yourself.

I send him those pictures to get his opinion, not his money. My friends have totally different style from me and my boyfriend is the only one that likes the clothing I wear. Get it?

As far as buying them myself, yes, I could do that but spending $100 on every single dress I like is also ridiculous, at least at this time.

Moreover, my boyfriend says from time to time I don't have enough clothes and that makes me feel poor.

Why would it upset you? Maybe you are upset because you think he SHOULD be buying you everything you want. Why should he though?

Then stop sending him photos of clothing you like -if you like it then buy it unless you need to run it by him if it is for his work function where there might be a very specific dress code. Why is it a "carrot"-do you really want him to buy these things for you if it's not your birthday? And if so why?

Then stop sending him photos of clothing you like -if you like it then buy it unless you need to run it by him if it is for his work function where there might be a very specific dress code. Why is it a "carrot"-do you really want him to buy these things for you if it's not your birthday? And if so why?

It's to ask his opinion. Let me guess Batya33, I'm not allowed to ask his opinion on clothing I like? Come on! Get serious!

It's to ask his opinion. Let me guess Batya33, I'm not allowed to ask his opinion on clothing I like? Come on! Get serious!

If all you wanted was his opinion, why obsess over him asking what the cost is? It's a pretty common question to ask if you're having on conversation of whether to buy something or not.

Well, alright but most of the stuff he wants to do is expensive. A typical weekend for us is $100. He knows that I don't have that money to spend.

Then why are you looking and sending him links on dresses that cost $100?

Perhaps this is the reason why he is asking and not buying. He's already spending $100 per weekend with you and now you keep sending him links to dresses that costs $100 knowing that you don't have the money to buy it. Doesn't that send him the signal that you want him to buy it for you?

I don't understand why you would be aggravated and frustrated with him asking how much it costs and never buying it for you if you are not expecting him to buy it for you when you send him the links. You want him to stop asking about the price. Then next time he asks, just say "Honey, I just want you to tell me if you think this dress would look good on me. Don't ask about the price."

I know for me if I ask my husband's opinion on something it is because I want to buy it. If I can not afford it I am not going to ask his opinion because why bother if I am not buying it.

Maybe you are not being honest with yourself about the expectations you have for him buying you things? Maybe that is what annoys you?

Maybe if you let him pay for all your dates and activities, he assumes that at some point, this expectation will extend to shoes and clothing. Maybe he's wondering why you can afford to spend all this on yourself, yet not share in dating expense. Maybe he's trying to decide how much it would cost to 'keep you in the style to which you are accustomed", how expensive your tastes are.

Maybe he's trying to decide if he can, or indeed if he wants to 'afford' you in the long term.

Sorry to sound so negative, but when a woman lets the man do ALL the paying, she sends a message that he is expected to do all the paying...and dating is one thing, but cohabitation/marriage brings on a whole new list of expenses.

I could be completely wrong, of course, it's just the first thing that popped into my head

I know for me if I ask my husband's opinion on something it is because I want to buy it. If I can not afford it I am not going to ask his opinion because why bother if I am not buying it.

Maybe you are not being honest with yourself about the expectations you have for him buying you things? Maybe that is what annoys you?

No. That's not all correct. I like to browse through dresses and develop my own style. So NO, not everything I send him the link to is something I'd like to buy.

Well, when one person makes $90k and another makes close to nothing, more than likely, I'll not be able to have as much fun as he wants.

We've been together for one year.....he should have thought of this 2 months into the relationship. I am NOT forcing him to pay. Stop attacking me, people. Sounds like jealousy to me on YOUR part.

two words... High Maintenance.

Each to his own. I don't force him to date me nor should you start with the, "Poor guy! You demand too much!" One year later...he obviously agreed to this. Don't start pitying him or blaming me.

Whatever works for one couple doesn't mean it'll work for another. A girl like me might not date a man like you and vice versa.

Archived