Dent in middle of thumbnail - deficieny?

Hi,

Have you recently (over the last several weeks) had any medical issues? On any medications over the last 4 weeks or so? How about any surgeries or anesthesia? Or maybe an injury to the cuticle of the affected nail?

Usually a dent in your fingernails just means that you suffered some type of illness or even a very stressful situation that cause the nails to stop growing for a little bit, then when they started to grow again, the nail will have a dent where it stopped at the cuticle. As it grows out, the dent becomes visible. It's usually not anything to worry about.

Hope this helps!

I have a thumbnail that is quite ridged.

I share an office with a dietitian and asked her if it means I am deficient in anything, and she said for the most part, a deficiency would show in all nails, or atleast more than one specific one.

She did tell me that sometimes its associated with low protein, but we are together 40 hours a week and she says I get plenty of protein.

Most likely, I probably damaged my nail bed at some, or thats just the way that nail grows.

• 2 years later...

Found this online as I have the same thing but ONLY on my thumb; sometimes both thumbs. It grows out but then another one comes along. I have psoriasis of the scalp, so this answered my question somewhat.

Pitting or dents on the nails

Pitting or small dents on the surface of your nails can be a sign of any of the below diseases:

psoriasis, a long-term condition that tends to also cause red, flaky patches of skin (10%-50% of patients with psoriasis have pitted nails)

eczema, a long-term skin condition

reactive arthritis, where the immune system attacks the joints, muscles and other parts of the body following an infection

alopecia areata, patches of hair loss that tend to come and go

Archived