Ask For Advice

Thread: what's a good job for a 59 year old man???

greysfan

Exclamation what's a good job for a 59 year old man???

my dad worked in the medical field for 30 years as a respiratoy therapist. he recently got let go due to performance issues, he says he was burnt out. Also, he used to drink alot so he brain doesn't work like it used to. he is now looking to get a new job. what are some entery level jobs that an older person can get and make more than minimum wage with no experience?

thanks

greysfan
    bump. I really need advice thanks

stella74
    I've heard Walmart and Home Depot are hiring older workers for entry level jobs. But I doubt they pay much more than minimum wage.

Squiggy
    OMG, i feel sorry for your dad. It will be very difficult for him to work at an entry level job. For 30 years in the same field, he would be better off trying to stay in that field. If he was let go because of "drinking" he should have a chance to correct that habit and have the company support him. Most companies has policies drawn up to help the people that work for them. With regulations to unfair employment to human right advocates. I would spend more effort in finding out the reason why was terminated. If company says because of his "alcoholism", ask them if he can retain his job or stay within the company after he finishes rehab. It may all be complicated because policies are hard to understand. I would greatly advice to getting legal advice, if you cannot afford one, try legal aid.

For a person working that many years, no person can expect them to return to work at an entry-level position. I wouldn't hire your dad, because I know that is not the best thing for him. But if you say he has been bouncing off jobs to jobs, and the longest period he has work for a company is 5 years, then that's a different story. Seek legal help, for wrongful termination and violating his human rights!

Top Threads
Is 51 too old to finish college?
Before you say a resounding YES, it would cost me about 10K to finish with a BS in Human Services (gerontology concentration - I like helping the
Should I have paid?
I had an exchange recently over the price of an item at a store that has left me feeling a bit conflicted on how it was handled and I am looking for
Alone, broke, in debt and hopeless
I never wanted my life to be like this - after I broke up (mutual decision) due to a lot of unbearable conflicts I moved into a different appartment
Call Back for Second Interview - Wish me luck! :)
Hi Guys, Just venting. For those of you who may have read my threads, you'll know that I don't like my job, or where I live. I applied for
Promotion update
After waiting some time to hear about my promotion, I finally got some news yesterday. I did not get it - and I'd be fine with it except for the

Featured Threads
He took my sisters virginity!
Well.. Here goes nothing. I don't have anyone to talk to and hoping to get some insight. My mind is confused and my heart is completely
Dating after working in the sex industry
Hey all, I'm coming out of a difficult time in my life where i worked as a sex worker. I just wanted some opinions on how to handle this when I begin
My boyfriend hangs out one on one with his ex am I right to feel uncomfortable?
Hi everyone, I posted here before about how my boyfriend and his ex are close friends. Long story short, they date for two years, realised they were
What does this mean?
I'm a 24 year old man and I've been in a relationship with my girlfriend for 5 years. But I'm feeling like this relationship is built on blind trust
Is this just "The 21st Century Woman?"
For the past 5 years, every woman I've dated (ages 25-32 we'll say) has had to stress to me immediately, before anything gets going, that they are
Venting I guess... I miss having sex.
So... I don't know if there is any real advice that can be given here. But I'm sure people here can at least relate and maybe share their
My boyfriend curses at me but says he's joking?
Hi everyone, My boyfriend and I have been dating for about 8 months and while everything has been great so far except that he curses at me but says
Ask For Advice