LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 75 of 75 FirstFirst ... 72737475

Thread: shadows

Originally Posted by 90_hour_sleep
    i bought a piano early last year...after 20 years without playing. and i've rediscovered that it is truly one of my happiest places. i sink into a place of peaceful focus that i find difficult to compare with anything else (competitive sport is perhaps the closest). it's a place of serenity. i can sit for hours if the home space allows for it. hours. completely immersed.
    I can relate! Twenty years ago, I'd sneak into one of the piano rooms at the music hall in my college and play for hours.

The sensation I got was of totally losing my self. It was such a relief.

As a side effect of those 'therapy sessions,' I got so good that people used to knock on the door and ask if I was a music major. Someone once came in and asked if I was the new piano teacher! Meanwhile, I'd never had a lesson in my life lol!

Then one day, I stopped and never went back. (Was that after I found out that my mom and sister had sold my keyboard at a garage sale because I 'wasn't playing it'? (even though, I 'wasn't playing' it because I was 500 miles away, at school)... I think so. Argh).

Anyway, I've forgotten how to play. I am hoping that it will come back to me when I finally start again. Hearing that it has for you is good news! Getting Ready for a First Date

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by Jibralta
    I can relate! Twenty years ago, I'd sneak into one of the piano rooms at the music hall in my college and play for hours.

The sensation I got was of totally losing my self. It was such a relief.

As a side effect of those 'therapy sessions,' I got so good that people used to knock on the door and ask if I was a music major. Someone once came in and asked if I was the new piano teacher! Meanwhile, I'd never had a lesson in my life lol!

Then one day, I stopped and never went back. (Was that after I found out that my mom and sister had sold my keyboard at a garage sale because I 'wasn't playing it'? (even though, I 'wasn't playing' it because I was 500 miles away, at school)... I think so. Argh).

Anyway, I've forgotten how to play. I am hoping that it will come back to me when I finally start again. Hearing that it has for you is good news!
    I enjoyed this. I recall reading something from Oliver Sacks... that in his clinical career he discovered that the only true cures for depression were music (playing) and gardening. Therapeutic. I'm sure anything that you feel creatively invested in would work well; but, there is definitely something unique about playing music. The brain goes a bit crazy with activity.

If you need extra encouragement...I'm happy to offer it. Find yourself a piano!! My enjoyment has only increased as an adult. I have a small sense of regret that I didn't do it sooner...like 15-20 years ago. I opted for digital...and didn't go for something cheap. Well worth it. The sound and the key action are superb...truly a treat.

Platinum Member
    Interesting shift in societal dynamics. I'm wondering when fear and the mongering of said-fear became such an epidemic. I feel sad about it. Nothing seems to suffocate the life within quite like fear. Even the fear that has roots in good intention and some form of prevention. We have the ability as creatures of thought and reason to discern between situations that have the potential to cause harm (basically any activity) and those that carry with them a more inherent likelihood of harm. But those lines seem to have become blurred. Nowadays...if it CAN happen, that usually translates to, "it WILL happen." Although, this seems to conveniently neglect those actually dangerous activities that we deem necessary. It's bizarre to me. We have no qualms about hurtling through time in space in giant lumps of metal and fluid...travelling mere inches at times from thousands of other lumps of shrapnel moving at the same outrageous speeds (I'm pondering the insanity that is I-5 running through the Seattle area)...but someone swimming in a lake without a life jacket is deemed ''idiotic". I can't help but shake my head at the justified madness that makes this line of reasoning possible. Riding a bike without a helmet is sheer insanity, but slathering UNKOWN chemicals all over our bodies is socially acceptable? The cosmetic industry is worth BILLIONS...and they are accountable to no one. NO ONE. How about the industrial food system? Manufacturing? The endless stream of products that mere exposure to causes irreparable harm to our bodies? Pharmaceuticals? The plethora of ''wonder-products'' that kill undesirable ''pests'' (read: herbicides, pesticides, etc). These products contain NO information on what's in them...and NO ONE has any idea how they affect our environments or our bodies.

I look at the world my daughter-in-law is growing up in...and the people in her life that are advocates of fear. They would have her become a potato to keep her safe. The world is dangerous. Don't do things that are dangerous (i.e. all things...any things...). But...let's go driving. Let's eat Burger King. Let's sit in front of the TV like lumps and get fat and depressed. Let's wear makeup to boost our self-esteem. Let's pander to the whitewash of marketing and let it run our lives. Let's encourage a zombie-nation of screen junkies (why aren't screen deemed illicit substances. They hurt more people than the so-called ''illicit'' drugs. Let's learn to repress because expressing is scary. Let's learn to be lazy and idle because doing is HARD...and hard things are scary. Failure is scary...so let's set our kids to never fail...and consequently snuff out their desire to actually try new things. Let's not think for ourselves or allow some calculated risk. Let's not get on our bikes are go exploring or climb mountains or go surfing. These things are all dangerous. And to be feared. And to be avoided. Let us be mired in the malleable realm of the-fear-that-knows-no-bounds. Let's hang out in the ''safe'' space of the internet where we can share our experiences of fear and keep everyone else ''safe'' by peddling our good intentions. Yes...let's be safe in our online bubbles. If I'm spending time in this space, I'm likely not out doing things that might actually be good for my body...or my mind. Let's use the chemicals. And drive the cars. And make a mess of whatever we feel like making a mess of so long as it serves the economy or allows us to look after ''our own''.

barf...

This whole pandemic business is just making it worse too. Forget about the fact that thousands of people die every day from a lack of basic human rights (i.e. clean drinking water, a safe place to be sheltered from the elements, a safe place to just BE, without being abused or raped or plundered by those with more power ). Those things didn't seem to matter much this time last year (no more or less than they do now). Not on the radar of affluence. But insert some risk of affluence and privilege being affected by the scary outside...yep...sound the alarm bells. Forget the fact that nature has it's ways. Forget the fact that we're currently a suffocating planet...drowning under the weight of over-consumption...over-extracting, over-re-producing, over-indulging, over-everything. Forget that. The affluent way of life is under attack! It actually feels disgusting to me. I wish nature had more power to balance out the disease of humanity. We've become too ''intelligent'' for our own good.

What's the point of living if one is afraid of everything except for what's been pedalled as ''good''? We've been brainwashed. And it makes my heart hurt. Death isn't the end. It's not to be feared. And castrating life itself and the wellspring of abundance that comes from being present with it...well it's just not good for anyone or anything. There's a reason we're such a miserable species. And it's rooted in this prevalence of fear. The more we fear...the more we shut down...the more we hurt...the more we hurt others. Bottled up little powder kegs of suppressed rage. The two minutes on the news devoted to kittens and rainbows is a clear indication of our ADDICTION to fear. We're gluttons for bad news. We feed on it. There's something inside that has become so cut off from potential and wonder and splendour that it would rather feel like a pile of feces. It would rather take prescription medication than go for a walk. It would rather buy $5 instant garbage than create something or fix something. It would rather rot in it's own misery than do something for someone else.

We really should be fearing the things that have become ubiquitous in this world. We should fear our own consumption habits. We should fear the marketing world that is accountable to NO ONE. We should fear the screens that keep us docile and deliver us to a narrow worldview. We should fear the people that would strip of us or basic RIGHT to be alive. Where is the tipping point? When do the things ACTUALLY WORTH FEARING become sufficient for us to get off our collective asses and make things BETTER...for EVERYONE...not just the affluent, over-consuming, mentally ill ones. How many people have to become tired of the shambles of a life not-lived...pissed at being fed the rhetoric of doom and swallowing it! I hope I live to see the revolution.
    Last edited by 90_hour_sleep; 08-07-2020 at 03:34 PM.

Page 75 of 75 FirstFirst ... 72737475

Videos

Maintaining A Strong Relationship

Detaching From a Malignant Man

Divorced Parents Prefer Technology and Social Media As Communication Tool

Wedding Jitters Could Be a Predictor for a Future Divorce

Botox Fights Depression And Makes You Feel Happier

Men Are More Sensitive than Women when Having Relationship Problems
Give Advice
Ask For Advice