Ask For Advice

Thread: What does it mean to invalidate someone's feelings?

KarlaW52

What does it mean to invalidate someone's feelings?

I understand what invalidate means, but could someone give an example? I've heard that invalidating someone's feelings is very hurtful, but how important is it? If someone does that to you, is it a breaking point in a friendship or any kind of relationship? Just having a hard time grasping the whole concept..

DN

Say a partner says something that hurts your feelings and when they express that hurt you dismiss their feelings as silly or infantile even though most people would also be hurt under the same circumstances.

KarlaW52
    Quote Originally Posted by DN [Register to see the link]
    Say a partner says something that hurts your feelings and when they express that hurt you dismiss their feelings as silly or infantile even though most people would also be hurt under the same circumstances.
    People have done that to me many times, and I think that feelings aren't really right or wrong.. because every person is different.. but would a partner doing this to you be a good reason to end the relationship? Or just if they did it repeatedly? I've heard people talk about how important it is not to do this to people.. would you agree that it's incredibly important in a relationship or friendship? I feel like people who do this have no consideration for others' feelings.

Moontiger
    If some I was dating did this to me, and I spoke to them about it, but nothing changed? It would be a reason to end the relationship.

whes
    Invalidating someone's feelings is basically giving them the message that their feelings or their reactions aren't noteworthy, aren't important, or aren't valid. It's a way of suppressing someone or establishing dominance by making their feelings or opinions inferior to your own.

it would definitely, definitely be a reason to end a relationship if it happened again and again and again with no change, no matter what was said. It devalues that person's worth as a human being and that is never okay.

KarlaW52
    Quote Originally Posted by whes [Register to see the link]
    Invalidating someone's feelings is basically giving them the message that their feelings or their reactions aren't noteworthy, aren't important, or aren't valid. It's a way of suppressing someone or establishing dominance by making their feelings or opinions inferior to your own.

it would definitely, definitely be a reason to end a relationship if it happened again and again and again with no change, no matter what was said. It devalues that person's worth as a human being and that is never okay.
    Thank you for the reply. What about in a situation where someone has an irrational fear of their partner leaving them, etc.. if they have an irrational fear and no reason behind it, are their feelings still valid? Some people can be irrational but does that mean their feelings are too? Or can feelings not be irrational? Sorry I guess I'm just very curious haha.

whes
    An irrational fear is still a very real fear to the person experiencing it. It exists for a reason. The fear that your partner will leave you is usually based on past experiences of being left, insecurities about being alone, or maybe because you don't trust the person. All of those reasons, over time, can be resolved as long as they are taken seriously and treated as real.

Top Threads
Should I let my boyfriend stay overnight with his friends?
Hi there. Firstly thank you for reading this post. I am a new member to this forum, and also will soon be new immigrant of the UK so basically there
I HATE my family and would not be sad if they died
While I don't actively wish for the deaths of my parents and brother, I can promise if they were to die, I would not attend their funerals nor feel
Homesick
I recently moved in with my girlfriend, everything is going well but i cant help but miss my family who i was extremely close to. I am the youngest
Just need to rant . . So thought I would get some things off my chest in the hop
So thought I would get some things off my chest in the hope it will make me feel better. I was annoyed by an action of my bf and a month later I'm
In tears everyday, losing my mind, depressed, sick
Hey, I've always been SO unlucky with love and I'm getting older now, I feel so lonely, depressed, I can't sleep, i always look tired, I feel need to
Terrified of this feeling
I can't do this, as much as I want to let myself feel again, let myself love again, that's just a hella big risk, yes when I was with her things felt
Trouble getting over small past issues
Hello guys, I am here today because I believe that I need help with a current relationship of mines and this is only my problem. So there is

Expert Advice
Featured Threads
Dating younger guy 24 years difference
I am 50 yrs old dating a 26 yrs old guy. We been dating each other for a couple months things are great between us. He told me he will always be
Boyfriend gets very angry if I mention his ex, is this normal?
Hi everyone! My boyfriend and I have been dating for almost 5months. He broke up with his ex and a year and a half ago. 7 months after they
Should I let my boyfriend stay overnight with his friends?
Hi there. Firstly thank you for reading this post. I am a new member to this forum, and also will soon be new immigrant of the UK so basically there
Is this abuse?
Iím desperate for some advice. Iíve been with my partner for nearly 2 years and everything has been ok, except from when he drinks. I really do not
Is there hope for me?
Me and my girlfriend of two years had been talking about moving in together lately. We didn't actually go look at any place in person, but browsed a
Bringing up trust issues at the start of a new relationship? My situation...
Haven't been on these boards since my last break up a couple years ago, and here I am about to begin a new relationship with feelings from the last
Whats my next move - Dating a girl fresh out of a relationship
Hey guys, So heres the deal. Met a girl in class and I asked her out. Her answer was "maybe" because she didn't want to say no to me but just
Ask For Advice