quitting smoking...hypnosis?

yep...heard a blurb on the radio today about this. also known numerous people that have had great success with this method.

anyone have any stories of success...or perhaps lack of success? seems like a neat idea...because it really seems to bypass a major portion of the psychological aspect to the addiction.

nicotine addiction is NOT all in your mind. Physiologically it blocks dopamine receptors, so when you're stressed you need a smoke to relax.

That being said, it's a HUGE HUGE creature of habit as well. I've heard hypno has a 30% success rate. I would recommend laser therapy personally.

30% hey? that's an interesting tidbit. was just doing a bit of reading on the laser therapy. sounds interesting. any idea on the cost associated?

so many factors with the addiction. kind of neat when you begin to understand all of the contributing factors.

I was a smoker for 15 years....tried everything, patch, hypnosis, cold turkey. Then a friend handed me a book called "The Easy Way to stop smoking" by Alan Carr.

Haven't touched a smoke since. Didn't need patch or any other remedy. This book will change your life.....trust me!!! It's brilliant. Just look for it on Amazon, the reviews should give you an idea!!

I quit smoking by reaching a point where I WANTED to quit smoking. One day I just thought to myself, I want to be beautiful. Smoking won't help that at all. So I quit.

Also, my bf's mom started smoking again around the time I was slowly quitting - and her chain-smoking make me puke.

Now the smell is repulsive to me ^_^ just like it was before I ever started.

I quit smoking by reaching a point where I WANTED to quit smoking. One day I just thought to myself, I want to be beautiful. Smoking won't help that at all. So I quit.

Also, my bf's mom started smoking again around the time I was slowly quitting - and her chain-smoking make me puke.

It's crazy isn't it? The smell, the taste, the grasping feeling around your throat...bleh

I've never smoked, but I have a neighbor who was treated by hypnosis, and she has never gone back to, nor had any desire to smoke again. And, nicotine is a real addiction, and from what I've heard, it's less difficult to withdraw from heroin, than it is to withdraw from nicotine.

i've heard the same thing. fascinating, really. yes...destructive...but still fascinating. the addiction has a way of working it's way into so many aspects of your life. for me...in the past, that understanding has been enough to kick the habit. but it seems to have a way of returning...often with a vengeance.

I was a smoker for 15 years....tried everything, patch, hypnosis, cold turkey. Then a friend handed me a book called "The Easy Way to stop smoking" by Alan Carr.

Haven't touched a smoke since. Didn't need patch or any other remedy. This book will change your life.....trust me!!! It's brilliant. Just look for it on Amazon, the reviews should give you an idea!!

sounds very familiar. might just have to check that one out. thanks for the input.

so...sooooo important. and good for you for sticking to your guns. sometimes i wonder...what would it feel like to wake up one day...forty years old...and still have this addiction to scratching that itch...to literally have been a slave to the power of that?

self-awareness...as your signature says...i know it has a part to play as well.

good job...and thanks for your input

• 6 years later...

It’s not all about addiction!

In fact some so-called ‘experts’ claim that nicotine isn’t really addictive and that it’s more about the habits and rituals around smoking that keeps us doing it. I believe these habits and rituals are an important factor but to deny that nicotine is addictive seems to fly in the face of the effects of the drug.

Yes, I believe it is addictive!

In my view it is both physically addictive and also psychologically addictive and often it is the psychological addiction which people find more difficult to cope with. It’s actually very interesting how many people tell me that when they are on a long haul flight they can cope with not smoking comparatively easily because they just know they can’t do it and that’s that! And the fact that so many people have quit smoking in recent years shows that it can be done one way or another.

In my view, of course you can quit smoking on your own but I believe hypnosis makes it easier as it can help you deal with both the physical and psychological aspects.

Archived